Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-23-2012, 03:30 PM   #1
wi0v

Default Name that Part

As I am finishing up the Town Sedan, I have a few extra parts. I hate to admit it but I guess I'm getting old, I just can't remember where them go. However, the car drives around the block so they can't be too serious. So, I have attached a photo of three of the parts. The small one's were on the front seat (I think) some sort of stop but where and how I don't have any idea. The long piece (I have only one) I really have no idea, looks like part of a window.

So "Name the Part", I would also appreciate it you would also not only name it but tell me where it goes?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4524.jpg (37.6 KB, 294 views)
[email protected]
wi0v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:20 PM   #2
JBR

Default Re: Name that Part

Gary,
The long piece looks like the window seal in one of the doors. Does it have a rubber piece on it, or a track when the rubber piece would go? If so it goes in the bottom of the window opening under the window garnish (where you rest your arm when the window is open). Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Can't help you with the two small pieces.
Jon
JBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:12 AM   #3
wi0v

Jon:
I agree that it looks like it goes somewhere around the window. It doesn't have any rubber one it. The cut out's would appear to fit around some screws but so far I can't find any place that looks like it would fit. Also, only have one?

Thanks for the help.
Gary
[email protected]
Old 01-24-2012, 03:09 AM   #4
Terry, NJ

Does the length match anything? 24" for front door, 22" for rear door (IIRC) Dammit they do look familiar but I can't recall what they are. Can you check the old door wood for hole patterns ?
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:13 AM   #5
Tom Wesenberg

I agree with the guys about the long piece being used by the window. Could the small angle pieces be window stops when the window is rolled down? If they are used with the window, it seems they should also have a rubber pad on them. Do you see any empty screw holes in the wood or metal where the parts can fit? It's too bad the body parts list doesn't have pictures.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:13 AM   #6
JBR

Gary,
I took my shot. I have a Tudor not a Town Sedan. Yet when I saw your picture it said window seal to me. Terry's question about the length is a good one. Other questions would be - Do the all the doors have windows seals in them? Is it possible it only had the one? If you pull the window garnish moldings off, you should see the window seals are under them or not.
Again, I could be wrong. I am interested in what you find.
Jon
Old 01-24-2012, 09:23 AM   #7
wi0v

When I got the car, all the doors were taken apart. I probably didn't get all the door parts. I find no evidence of door glass seals and that is the obvious place for it but the holes don't match up to anything and it is way too short to be a bottom window seal. The section that isn't an angle really makes matters harder to figure out. All the wood in the car was bad and has been replaced. Everyone is right about checking the old wood but I thought I was long past needing it and because of space the old wood is long gone.
[email protected]
Old 01-24-2012, 09:41 AM   #8
Smurkey

I have a '29 Murray TS and remembered seeing that part. So I head out to the garage to take a picture of where it goes and there I find it in a parts box...I don't know where it goes either!!

I tacked on a photo of mine with measurements...I only have one which leads me to believe it is not a door part lest there be four...

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0632[1].jpg (68.5 KB, 69 views)
Smurkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:47 AM   #9
Smurkey

I'll keep looking and keep you all posted. Mine has the original wood, but much of it has been adulterated with fiberglass resin so matching the holes might be difficult. I haven't yet begun the interior but that is next and I am hopeful it's location will present itself.

I'm thinking something to do with the seats???
Old 01-24-2012, 10:19 AM   #10
Bob from Northport

The long piece is definately the metal trim that goes along the bottom of one of the windows. I assume there are screw holes along the top of the piece? The other two small pieces are the door strike pieces that the handle/latch catches when you close the door. They go into the door jam where the handle catches.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:36 AM   #11
Marco Tahtaras

I believe the metal strip is the upper front "trim panel" for the drivers door, used instead of cardboard. The reason is it's also the door windlace retainer where cardboard would be a bit flimsy. It's covered in mohair above. I made this interior in 1990 so it took me awhile to "place" what that metal strip was!

I still can't place the two small angle brackets. I keep thinking they relate to the bottom of the front seat but I can't think of anything that makes sense.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:43 AM   #12
jrelliott

The long piece from looking at the picture is a Door weather seal and retainer. If you have a Bratton's catalogue the part numbers are 31390 to 31400. The '28 Briggs body I did had these parts. The weather seal mounts such that it goes behind the window and makes a seal between the outside of the door and window. Think the two smaller pieces are Quarter Window retainers. Bratton's catalogue says these are for two door, but may be used in the small windows of the Town Sedan. My '28 did not have the additional windows in the rear.
jrelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:09 AM   #13
Smurkey

The piece has tack holes (very small) in it; it was definitely attached to a wooden piece. The only place on the doors where the piece could even come close to fitting is the verticals (and they are wood) but I cannot see a purpose they would serve in that location. Not only that, but the flat portion of the part would interfere with the latch/riser cross-plate. And both Gary and I only have one, which could be a coincidence, but maybe not.

Those pieces look like they are the stops that screw to the bottom of the front seat frame and engage in a slot cut into the base of the seat "pedestal". (see photo) to keep the seat from coming off the adjustment screw. I set mine into the slot and it fit perfectly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0637 (800x598).jpg (346.7 KB, 45 views)
Old 01-24-2012, 11:32 AM   #14
JBR

After looking at the catalog, I have come to the conclusion that I am wrong and Marco is right. I have cropped the posted pictures here to illustrate.

If you look at Smurkey's picture you see that the piece is too short to be the window seal. Then if you compare wi0v's original picture with Marco's you will see that the notch cut out of the upper end of the piece goes over the upper window garnish molding. The piece is covered with your interior fabric cloth as Marco says. The piece is mounted behind the front window garnish molding with the molding screws going thorough the 1/2 circle cutouts in the piece.

I told you someone would correct me if I was wrong. Thanks Marco. Again I learned something.
Jon
Old 01-24-2012, 11:51 AM   #15
Smurkey

Marco,

Does the windlace take up the difference in the width between the metal piece and the pillar? Also, should there be a corresponding piece for the passenger side?

Steve
Old 01-24-2012, 11:55 AM   #16
JBR

Yeah,
That was my next question. Marco, were both done the same? If not, do you know why not?
Thanks,
Jon

Last edited by JBR; 01-24-2012 at 11:55 AM. Reason: sp
Old 01-24-2012, 12:53 PM   #17
Deluxe Delivery

The two little ones are "seat rail retainers" for lack of a better term. If you remove your front seat cushion and look at the inside of the wooden seat frame, about 2 inches from the front, you will see one of these on each side. They lock in or "retain" the seat frame to the adjusting rails. A real *%$) to line up when reinstalling the seat. I don't have my camera or I would take a picture.
Deluxe Delivery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 03:24 PM   #18
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurkey View Post
Marco,

Does the windlace take up the difference in the width between the metal piece and the pillar? Also, should there be a corresponding piece for the passenger side?

Steve
If you hold the metal up in position I would expect it to be about 1/8" shy of the door edge at the top and front. That is about what the door cardboard would be prior to covering.

As I'm sure you suspect, yes both front doors were done the same. It is however quite a coincidence that both of you have a left side only!

Since window seals were mentioned, this is what Murray bodies used. It went toward the outside and sealed against the door skin when the window was rolled all the way up. By contrast, Briggs bodies have a special strip that screws to the wood just below the window opening.

Old 01-24-2012, 04:07 PM   #19
Smurkey

Man, what a help! I wouldn't have even known I was missing this stuff. Now I've got some looking to do!

Thanks a bunch!

Steve