Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-21-2013, 09:38 PM   #1
Alan O'Connell

Default 35 gas filler neck

I asked this question last week but I'll ask it again anyway. The gas tank filler neck comes up through the center of the left tail light bracket. In order to center it I have to screw the filler neck in 6 revolutions. That doesn't tighten the filler neck. It can screw in another 3 plus revolutions. So how do I get it in the right positon (centered on the tail light bracket) and still get it tight so it doesn't move? I have a lead washer in place. Do I put one or maybe two more lead washers in until it is tight to the washers and centered on the bracket?
Alan O'Connell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:43 PM   #2
Lawson Cox

Default Re: 35 gas filler neck

I have two lead washers on the filler neck on my 35 PU. You need to hold the filler neck where you want it, then tighten it up. Use a spanner wrench, not a pipe wrench.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:51 PM   #3
jkeesey

The 35 pu I worked on had no gaskets. I used a rubber oring coated in hylomar and tightened like Lawson mentioned.
jkeesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:36 AM   #4
Alan O'Connell

Is that sleeve supposed to turn on the neck? Because I'm screwing the sleeve and the neck in together. It doesn't seem like the sleeve is supposed to turn independement of the neck.
Alan O'Connell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:51 AM   #5
flatheadfan

The sleeve is suppose to turn independently from the neck. The neck does nothing.

Tom
flatheadfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:35 AM   #6
JM 35 Sedan

Alan, when you made your post on this I was wondering if you were able to turn the threaded sleeve, with spanner holes, on the neck tube. This sleeve must be loose and able to turn on the neck to allow proper assembly to tank. I also have a '35 assembly that has the sleeve stuck/rusted to the neck and have been soaking with penetrating oil trying to get it loose enough to turn. Nothing seems to be working. My next step will be to apply heat to the sleeve. I am not/would not suggest ever doing this with neck assembly that's attached to a tank.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 02-22-2013 at 08:44 AM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:21 AM   #7
Terry,OH

The neck does not have to be perfectly centered in the hole. The large rubber ring around the top of the neck will cover some imperfection. You can use a couple of lead washers but they do not make a big difference. Get the collar with the holesand thread free of the neck so they move independently. Make sure the end of the neck that seals on the washers is flat and without any breaks or the fuel will leak out.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:29 PM   #8
Henryat1140

When assembling, I recommend copious uses of lubricant on the threads, they are so small in contrast to the diameter. Never-seize is what we used. We used a 'normal' amount and it took the last bit of the spanner to draw everything tight.

If I were doing it again, I would really be liberal with the never-seize.

Just my 2c.
Henryat1140 is offline   Reply With Quote