Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-08-2013, 12:10 PM   #1
1929tudor

Default how tight to tighten spindel nut

Was wondering how tight to tighten the spindle nut. Just snug to get the cotter pin in or put some force behind it? Don't want the front wheel to wobble. Any set standard on it. Seems the castle nut is right inbetween slots that I need. One slot where the cotter pin goes through seems to loose and the next slot seems to tight. thanks

Last edited by 1929tudor; 09-08-2013 at 12:17 PM.
1929tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:29 PM   #2
BILL WILLIAMSON

Default Re: how tight to tighten spindel nut

Try "SEARCH"---There's been a KAZILLION posts on techniques/wives tales/proper ways/etc. Bill W.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:08 PM   #3
H. L. Chauvin

Hi 29,

After hearing & reading so much different information, I had the same technical question years ago, so I called the Timken Bearing Co.

Got in touch with a technician who reported that tests were conducted years ago on conical spindle bearings like those on a Model A & the recommended adjustment for long life of bearings & races was to allow 0.007" play or movement in & out as opposed to no movement.

One can file the back of the spindle nut to achieve & adjust spindle nuts per Timken's recommended specifications, or one can just tighten the spindle nut in the hundreds of other ways recommended by auto manufacturers, mechanics, fortune tellers & tipsy bar maids -- each to his own.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:10 PM   #4
Patrick L.

Like Bill said, this has been discussed almost as much as oil. Search should find all you can stand to read.
But, these roller bearings should not be pre-loaded. Spin the wheel while ' snugging-up ' [ technical term] the nut. When just 'snug' back off till the cotter slides in. I think a little loose is better than too tight. I've thought installing the newer educated nuts might be good, but, the original have worked fine for all these years.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:17 PM   #5
1929tudor

I did do a search as Bill said and found what others have said the past couple years. I'll go with what I read and try those ways. thanks
Old 09-08-2013, 01:23 PM   #6
BILL WILLIAMSON

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
WHEEW! Maybe we got out of that discussion---AGAIN!!!
Bill W.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:07 PM   #7
RonC

The Timken method is basically what Ford specified for adjustment. A slight side play and free spinning wheel.
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 02:18 PM   #8
1929tudor

Sorry Bill I didn't know we weren't aloud to ask questions that were asked before. I didn't mean to waste your time with my worthless question since your last post was hoping we wouldn't have to go through this again. Some of us aren't that experienced and even though it was discussed before what is to say there isn't something new for another guy to add. Alot of knowledgeable guys on here with great advise on offers to help not with the additude of "Maybe we got out of that discussion" Again

Last edited by 1929tudor; 09-08-2013 at 02:23 PM.
Old 09-08-2013, 04:54 PM   #9
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1929tudor View Post
Sorry Bill I didn't know we weren't aloud to ask questions that were asked before. I didn't mean to waste your time with my worthless question since your last post was hoping we wouldn't have to go through this again. Some of us aren't that experienced and even though it was discussed before what is to say there isn't something new for another guy to add. Alot of knowledgeable guys on here with great advise on offers to help not with the additude of "Maybe we got out of that discussion" Again
Unfortunately there are those people that cannot understand that there is more than one way to skin a cat and stand by their answer as the only one in fact true answer fighting to the death anyone that disagrees It is this reason and no other that causes us to thank our lucky stars that we don't have to be berated by those people again on the "hot" topics.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:00 PM   #10
Chuck Sea/Tac

Yes, I think Bill was saying you're gonna get 35 or more responses with everyone arguing their point at least 3 times. No one is berating you for asking a question that's been asked before.
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:33 PM   #11
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1929tudor View Post
1929tudor,
I was just joking around, me & the Dog gots a lot of time!! Let's apply a little common sense to this issue.
We can talk to Timken people, who is the guy, maybe he is the tech that monitors E-Mail & answers the phones when everyone's gone??? Can't believe EVERYTHING we hear or read! Changes have gone on since Ford wrote many recommendations.
A tapered roller bearing, operating between two tapered races must NOT be a "loosey-goosey" fit, or it cannot run in a true concentric environment & it CANNOT distribute the weight & forces reasonably equal to all the roller surfaces, nor can they keep the hub races in place properly, so the races don't wobble out the hub bores. With loose front wheel bearings, the wheel can go in & out at the top & bottom, it can go in & out in a sideways motion, (defeating your toe in adjustment) it can go up & down, forward & backward, it can increase steering wheel slack, etc. A few thousandths clearance at the bearing translates to a lot of side to side motion at the tire tread, causing the car to dart side to side by itself!
Take your car to have the toe in set, "Hey, Joe, I cain't set yo' toe in, them bearings are loose, I'll have to charge you to adjust them, & I'll have to charge you to re-pack the whole mess to make sure they're not worn out & dangerous! What do-dingy guy adjusted these"??
Modern cars with conventional Timken type bearings require some amount of pre-load! I always pre-load them 5 to 10 FT LBS. (That ain't very much!) And remember, all wheel bearing greases are NOT equal, use ONLY a high quality, high temp disc brake grease! A proper wheel bearing repacking will go 30,000 miles, with maybe 1 pre-load adjustment at 15,000 miles.
YES! I brag, I'm an A.S.E. Certified Master Automobile Technician, with current certification, 35 years experience, until retiring on disability in 1990! (SO THERE!)
One employer thought I was God's gift to the automotive world! (Poor man!) Maybe I should have been a CON-MAN!
Seriously, use common sense & ponder this, try to visualize all the strange, un-needed movements that go on when wheel bearings are set up loose.
And I was NEVER reprimanded by an employer for "SMOKIN' WHEEL BEARINGS"!! Bill W. (The Dog just read & APPROVED this tirade!)
Old 09-08-2013, 08:40 PM   #12
BILL WILLIAMSON

Also, when most folks research something, the usually disregard most answers, until they find the one that agreed with their original opinion. LOTS OF FOLKS HATE TO EVER BE PROVEN WRONG IN THEIR OPINIONS! Like, don't confuse me with FACTS, my mind is made up! Bill W.
(Some "opinions" don't have a lot of creditability. Just tell me things you have tried/done & did they WORK well.)

Last edited by BILL WILLIAMSON; 09-08-2013 at 09:30 PM.
BILL WILLIAMSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:48 PM   #13
BILL WILLIAMSON

There are some that sound intelligent from reading/studying a lot, and are very proficient typists, & that's GOOD! But there are some with scars, callouses, etc, from ACTUALLY doing these things for years, as a profession & KNOW what really WORKS & what really DOESN'T! Bill W.

Last edited by BILL WILLIAMSON; 09-08-2013 at 09:58 PM.
BILL WILLIAMSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:57 PM   #14
H. L. Chauvin

Bill,

With no offense intended to anyone, don't let Buster -T or yourself get too worked up trying to explain or to help others on repeated controversial subjects such as this.

In message #3 above, in my opinion, the tipsy barmaid with the biggest boobs is always in control of resolving technical Model A questionable subjects for senior Model A owners.

Hope this helps to give good future advice -- we are really just sexy senior citizens-- not proverbial dirty old men!
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:04 AM   #15
ericr

In fairness, I have found the search device on this site, like all other search procedures, to be often cumbersome and confusing to utilize. I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth, the site is an unbelievably valuable asset for us. I have tried to search certain topics before, came up dry, changed a word or two, then wham, Niagara Falls let loose.
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:59 AM   #16
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr View Post
In fairness, I have found the search device on this site, like all other search procedures, to be often cumbersome and confusing to utilize. I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth, the site is an unbelievably valuable asset for us. I have tried to search certain topics before, came up dry, changed a word or two, then wham, Niagara Falls let loose.
I agree about the hit or miss search. That's why being very specific in the title when posting a question is a big help to someone doing a search.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:18 PM   #17
stouchton

I like to re-ask old questions so new thought can come to light

....or perhaps I like to stir the pot????????????????????????????????????????????

Last edited by stouchton; 09-09-2013 at 12:19 PM. Reason: stirring the pot
stouchton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:26 PM   #18
Chuck Sea/Tac

Cool Re: how tight to tighten spindel nut

[QUOTE=BILL WILLIAMSON;722178]Also, when most folks research something, the usually disregard most answers, until they find the one that agreed with their original opinion. LOTS OF FOLKS HATE TO EVER BE PROVEN WRONG IN THEIR OPINIONS! Like, don't confuse me with FACTS, my mind is made up! Bill W.
(Some "opinions" don't have a lot of creditability. Just tell me things you have tried/done & did they WORK well.)[/QUO
Hey Bill did you know my dad????? You certainly described him.even his pastor called him "a stubborn ole Swede"at his funeral.
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:18 PM   #19
1931 flamingo

Mine was called a "thick swede". Miss him...............
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:36 PM   #20
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by stouchton View Post
I like to re-ask old questions so new thought can come to light

....or perhaps I like to stir the pot????????????????????????????????????????????
Stirrin' the pot is O.K. at times, once I stirred my BIG cast iron pot & a mouth watering PIG'S FOOT came up, & I don't even remember puttin' it in the pot. Bill W.