Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-01-2013, 06:31 AM   #1
Marklambert61

Default Line boring main bearings

Team,

Trying to come up with a set-up on my Bridgeport mill or maybe a lathe to line bore the main bearings to accept bearing inserts.

Any other machinist types out there that have already been through this process?

Mark
Marklambert61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:04 AM   #2
George Miller

Default Re: Line boring main bearings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marklambert61 View Post
Team,

Trying to come up with a set-up on my Bridgeport mill or maybe a lathe to line bore the main bearings to accept bearing inserts.

Any other machinist types out there that have already been through this process?

Mark
I made my own. It is just for the A engine. I use a 90 deg angle head in my Bridge port mill, with a long bar that is supported, front and rear.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:36 AM   #3
Kurt in NJ

It may take a little effort, but using the lathe and bridgeport you could make a fixture and a bar, some locating fixtures for the cam-crank location --

i would think that even with a very tight bridgeport it would be very hard to get all 3 bored exactly in line and at the proper place for inserts -without a fixture--perhaps with babbitt you could make it a little small and scrape the crank into place ---and if you screwed up you cam pour it again---if you screw up for inserts you have to try again on another block.

I don't think the 'average" bridgeport is tight enough-when I was looking it was hard to find one that the table moved in a straight line--many were over .005 off over the length of the table--but if i had to use it I would start in the babbitt ,see how close I could get, come up with reference points to measure from so adjustments for machine wear can be compensated for ---

Even most shops that do line boring on "chevy" blocks wouldn't have the equipment to properly locate the crank in an "A", wander on these sites some-- http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/kwikwayinstructions.htm, and http://fordfarm.net/TBabbittToolsLinks.html --

The first time before I had equipment I scraped in a .020 crank into worn .030 babbitt, then I got a lathe and used it to move a KRW fixture, I don't think that a krw fixture is tight enough to cut iron without chatter, and it was intended to be reamed after the use of the boring fixture, then I got a good deal on a Kwik Way ---and a better deal on an Aamco 400 ---keep your eyes open, look on craigslist, I got the Aamco for 40$, the guy just wanted more than scrap valu for it, I called 2 weeks after he posted it
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:16 AM   #4
just plain bill

I had 2 or 3 photographs of a set up on a Bridgeport that was used to align bore a B block but I had a serious computer crash and lost them. I had thought to duplicate it and leave a few .001"s and have the mains align honed.
It used a 90 degree head and aluminum plates bored with bronze bearings to maintain alignment and support. The boring tools were an off the shelf item fitted into what appeared to be a 2" dia bar and spaced to cut all 3 saddles at the same time.
just plain bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:52 PM   #5
George Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by just plain bill View Post
I had 2 or 3 photographs of a set up on a Bridgeport that was used to align bore a B block but I had a serious computer crash and lost them. I had thought to duplicate it and leave a few .001"s and have the mains align honed.
It used a 90 degree head and aluminum plates bored with bronze bearings to maintain alignment and support. The boring tools were an off the shelf item fitted into what appeared to be a 2" dia bar and spaced to cut all 3 saddles at the same time.
That is the way I do it also. Except I use steel plates with bronze bushings. The front plate locates off the cam bearings and pan rail, the rear bushing locates off the rear main. The cam gear mesh is always right, and the crank is in line with the cylinders.
I did look for a picture, but could not find one.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:00 PM   #6
Big John

have you done a online search????
Big John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:06 PM   #7
ctlikon0712

I agree with Kurt in NJ, Unless you have a mill that's Ways are in exceptional shape, I don't believe the table, quill, and head will be solid enough to keep the vibrations down to a manageable level for a good boring process. Most older Bridgeport’s aren’t that tight especially if you are feeding the table. JMO
Old 05-08-2013, 10:10 AM   #8
Hasler55

Now fellas don't laugh, but I made a boring tool out of a block of aluminum that I bolted to a steel plate with a 3/8" barstock with a ground down forstner bit for the cutting tool and rebored a rear main bearing after pooring new babbit for the block for my nephews big iron AA truck. It ran good, but I couldn't tell you for how long. {:
Hasler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:40 PM   #9
James Rogers

Contact Gene French in Colorado. He has a setup for just what you want.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:44 PM   #10
Dave in MN

I had Gene build me a custom jig with a 1.5" bar instead of the standard 1.25". It works pretty good. I drive and feed it from my lathe with a splined shaft. I am not sure how long it will last though...
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:14 PM   #11
James Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MN View Post
I had Gene build me a custom jig with a 1.5" bar instead of the standard 1.25". It works pretty good. I drive and feed it from my lathe with a splined shaft. I am not sure how long it will last though...
I think he builds them in aluminum because most are going to use it once or twice and aluminum is easy to machine. It would be better if he built one out of steel or cast for builders.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote