Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-30-2015, 09:27 AM   #1
ctvpa

Default 34 coolant leak

Greetings. I have a 34 V8 with the water pumps located at the front of the head.
I can lose half gallon in 10 miles. I have checked the overflow, and it is not overwhelming the radiator.
I have used dye, removed the plugs, and pressurized the cooling system, with no leak. I did that for more than 2 weeks, changing the position of the pistons every other day.
It starts and runs fine. Nothing leaking anywhere. I have equal pressure in each cylinder.
When not running, I do not lose a drop.
I have changed the head gasket twice. No coolant is in the oil. The radiator tests positive for Monoxide. I just cannot find it. Any ideas?

Also, does anyone know of any cast heads available?
Thanks
ctvpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 12:19 PM   #2
FL&WVMIKE

Default Re: 34 coolant leak

You might be chasing a ghost. You might have no problem, at all.
Your engine will find it's own level of water, at where it likes it best.
If you are not overheating, you have no problem.
After you lose your 1/2 gallon, drive it again, without re-filling with water. If you do not over heat, you are good.
Any engine, if you fill it to the top, will spit out the expanded water.
I think that you are good.
Good luck,
MIKE (mikeburch)
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 04:07 PM   #3
Fibber Mcgee

When you removed the plugs ,were any of them exceptionally clean compared to the others? Any white smoke out the tailpipe?
Old 05-30-2015, 08:42 PM   #4
ctvpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL&WVMIKE View Post
You might be chasing a ghost. You might have no problem, at all.
Your engine will find it's own level of water, at where it likes it best.
If you are not overheating, you have no problem.
After you lose your 1/2 gallon, drive it again, without re-filling with water. If you do not over heat, you are good.
Any engine, if you fill it to the top, will spit out the expanded water.
I think that you are good.
Good luck,
MIKE (mikeburch)
Thanks, I connected a hose from the over flow to a bottle, I'm not loosing it there. If I run any distance, I continue to loose. 20 miles is one gallon, and it just continues.
Old 05-30-2015, 08:48 PM   #5
ctvpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fibber Mcgee View Post
When you removed the plugs ,were any of them exceptionally clean compared to the others? Any white smoke out the tailpipe?
I have had the head off twice. All cylinders are equal mild carbon. All the plugs are equal. I have changed the head gasket twice. I took the plugs out, put dye in the coolant, pressurized the cooling system for a week. Nothing.
No steam, nothing in the oil. A cylinders hold pressure.
Thanks, any other thoughts?
Old 05-30-2015, 09:58 PM   #6
Lawson Cox

Gremlins??? You said you removed the head twice, and changed the gasket twice, speaking as if singular. Did you remove the other head as well?

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 11:12 PM   #7
flatjack9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctvpa View Post
Thanks, I connected a hose from the over flow to a bottle, I'm not loosing it there. If I run any distance, I continue to loose. 20 miles is one gallon, and it just continues.
That's a lot of water in a short time. Don't see how that wouldn't be pretty obvious. Not many places where it can get out. If it isn't being burned, it's either in the crankcase or leaking out.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 07:21 AM   #8
Lawrie

I chased a coolant leak in the 33 for ages,could see no visible leaks,did the same as you,even changed the heads,turned out it was the pumps.
They leaked at road speed and it must have sprayed out ,I was only using water and it w as hard to see.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 08:24 AM   #9
G.M.

If there is no water in the oil or no water coming out of the exhaust pipe and no visible leak it has to be coming out the overflow. G.M.
Old 05-31-2015, 08:30 AM   #10
koates

Crack in engine block in one exhaust valve port. Water going straight out exhaust pipe maybe ?? Check the end of the exhaust pipe for moisture with engine well warmed up and some revs on. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 01:44 PM   #11
ctvpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawson Cox View Post
Gremlins??? You said you removed the head twice, and changed the gasket twice, speaking as if singular. Did you remove the other head as well?
Please change "Head" to "Heads" and "Head Gasket" to "Head Gaskets".
I have changed them twice. I cannot find any weakness or evidence of bypass on either gasket, or on the block or heads.

I changed them the first time thinking for sure I knew the problem. I changed them the second time, when I realized that I had not found the problem, and needed much closer inspection.
Old 05-31-2015, 01:46 PM   #12
ctvpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrie View Post
I chased a coolant leak in the 33 for ages,could see no visible leaks,did the same as you,even changed the heads,turned out it was the pumps.
They leaked at road speed and it must have sprayed out ,I was only using water and it w as hard to see.
Lawrie
Thank you for the input. I have inspected the pumps very closely. I have run the engine with the hood open, and close inspection. No leak.
Loosing a gallon, I should see it.
Old 05-31-2015, 01:55 PM   #13
ctvpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.M. View Post
If there is no water in the oil or no water coming out of the exhaust pipe and no visible leak it has to be coming out the overflow. G.M.
I have pressure tested the cooling system. I have also attached tubing from the overflow to a container. When starting on a full radiator I have the usual blow by. Then no further fluid.
The bottle level remained unchanged. The coolant system was down over a gallon after the test.

Thank you for your input, and please keep thinking.
Old 05-31-2015, 02:00 PM   #14
zedbyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrie View Post
Lawrie
This....

I would put some antifreeze in the system to make it a bit easier to see. this is one of those situations that it would seem so complex, when you find the answer it will already have been something you thought you inspected and dismissed.

i vote that you have a leak, and just haven't found it.

also consider the volume you are a talking about. that is significant, and again makes me think leak!

also as GM said it could be coming out of the overflow, which will could be very hard to find evidence of, after the fact.

drain the system of the water and put a antifreeze mix in it, and you will have residue somewhere that will tell you what is going on.

Last edited by zedbyers; 05-31-2015 at 02:09 PM. Reason: additional thought
zedbyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 02:30 PM   #15
ctvpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by koates View Post
Crack in engine block in one exhaust valve port. Water going straight out exhaust pipe maybe ?? Check the end of the exhaust pipe for moisture with engine well warmed up and some revs on. Regards, Kevin.
So far 4 of us have inspected this engine, and agree that your answer is most likely the issue. I have not removed the valves.
A cloth placed over the exhaust, and it had very mild moisture. I then compared it to another car, and there was no major difference.

Can you think of any test we can do to verify this?
All cylinders have equal compression, and hold the compression. But if the crack is below the valve, that would be the issue.

Do you know of any other test I could do with the heads off to verify this?
Thank you for your assistance.
Old 05-31-2015, 02:41 PM   #16
ctvpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedbyers View Post
This....

I would put some antifreeze in the system to make it a bit easier to see. this is one of those situations that it would seem so complex, when you find the answer it will already have been something you thought you inspected and dismissed.

i vote that you have a leak, and just haven't found it.

also consider the volume you are a talking about. that is significant, and again makes me think leak!

also as GM said it could be coming out of the overflow, which will could be very hard to find evidence of, after the fact.

drain the system of the water and put a antifreeze mix in it, and you will have residue somewhere that will tell you what is going on.

Thank you. I verified the overflow by attaching tubing onto the overflow, to a container, no major loss via the overflow. Yet I was down about 1 gallon of coolant.
We all agree that there is a crack, I just can't find it.
I have tried antifreeze and marking dye, and still nothing.

Thank you for your input. Currently both heads are off, if you can think of any other test I can do please forward your ideas.
Old 05-31-2015, 02:57 PM   #17
zedbyers

i saw where you put the dye in, but didn't see any mention of the antifreeze. most dies i have worked with don't leave much of a residue.

do you have dual exhaust or single? if it is what you are thinking and you have dual exhaust i would run the antifreeze exclusively. that would hopefully elminate one side of the engine.

again with the volumes you are describing, there would to be a telltale residue sign somewhere.....
zedbyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 09:14 PM   #18
keith oh

Put a bottle of Bars stop leak per their instructions in it, why fight it. It is sure as heck not going to hurt anything and will probably stop the leak.
keith oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 02:12 PM   #19
ctvpa

Well to bring you up to date, I did as suggested and went to the fire Dept and tested the radiator for Monoxide, and it went off the chart. Several cracks were found, along with pounds of rust and scale.
I now have the engine back in, but having some issues making it run smooth.
Here are some photos of the rebuild.
https://www.facebook.com/J-and-M-Mac...96175313829376
Old 08-13-2016, 02:34 PM   #20
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Well, the engine is looking good (now). Hard to believe how much stuff comes out of the block!! And it's normally not just rust, there is core sand and wire and whatever in there.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote