Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-04-2021, 07:25 AM   #21
Mart

Default Re: Informal poll - 1948-52 F-1 Front Disc Kit

It looks like a nice tidy job. The calliper is better looking than the type in the commercially available kits, in my opinion. I would agree on the marketing. If no one else was making them, it might make sense, but not with relatively cheap kits freely available.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 01:58 PM   #22
1948F-1Pickup

Thanks Mart.
The competition from cheap kits was an issue.
1948F-1Pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 09:53 AM   #23
38 coupe

Since you are not going to market them would you post a parts list if someone wants to do this on their own? I personally like drums so this isn't for me, but the ability to retain stock track width and wheels may be a big enough draw for someone else to give it a try.
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 02:07 AM   #24
fordf1trucknut

Just curious.... have any of you tested to see if a 1 inch bore master cylinder actually gives redundancy in your brake system?

Many years back in converted my f1 to dual reservoir and found that when I cracked a bleeder on the front or on the rear. There was not enough travel to effectively brake..... basically making the dual system kinda pointless.
So I found a master with an inch and an 1/8 bore that that worked well AND gave redundancy.

When I built my 4x4 f1 I used disc's up front and found tge some thing again....a 1 inch bore disc/drum master didn't move enough fluid to provide redundancy. Do I had to go to an 1 and an 1/8 bore to make it right.
30 coupe (traditional hotrod)
31 pickup
38 standard
42 gpw (ford army jeep)
48 f-1
52 f-1
52 f-1 4x4
55 chevy
55 m38a1
56 Victoria
68 bronco
70 land rover
72 club wagon
fordf1trucknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 11:03 AM   #25
1948F-1Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38 coupe View Post
Since you are not going to market them would you post a parts list if someone wants to do this on their own? I personally like drums so this isn't for me, but the ability to retain stock track width and wheels may be a big enough draw for someone else to give it a try.
Much as I appreciate the forum and helping folks on the forum, I have quite a bit of time in the formulation of the kit. Some of the specifics, like the caliper brackets, although not rocket science, aren't child's play either. You'd need obsolete Dorman wheel studs, as I didn't move forward with ARP to get that done. The liability element of the kit concerns me as well.
Those are just a few reasons that I'm going to decline.
Old 02-08-2021, 11:10 AM   #26
1948F-1Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordf1trucknut View Post
Just curious.... have any of you tested to see if a 1 inch bore master cylinder actually gives redundancy in your brake system?

Many years back in converted my f1 to dual reservoir and found that when I cracked a bleeder on the front or on the rear. There was not enough travel to effectively brake..... basically making the dual system kinda pointless.
So I found a master with an inch and an 1/8 bore that that worked well AND gave redundancy.

When I built my 4x4 f1 I used disc's up front and found tge some thing again....a 1 inch bore disc/drum master didn't move enough fluid to provide redundancy. Do I had to go to an 1 and an 1/8 bore to make it right.
Haven't checked. Other than the larger bore, which moves more fluid volume,
a larger reservoir size would be more key (in my opinion) to having a positive outcome from a leak in a brake circuit.

To check the safety benefits of a dual chamber master you would have to screw pressure gauges onto wheel cylinders and then simulate the leak in the opposite circuit.