Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-23-2011, 11:02 AM   #1
Smitty

Default Dynamat

Anyone using Dynamat in your A's? Wondering if it would trap moisture in the panels?

Steve
Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:13 AM   #2
Jason in TX

Default Re: Dynamat

I've wondered the same thing. Just spoke with a guy who used it extensively in his Vicky and loves the sound and heat insulation it has provided. I also know someone who used it in a high end 32 roadster build and he said the doors now sound like a new BMW when they close.

No mention yet of how they might impact the metal, but if it's painted, coated, and on the inside of the car away from rock chips and scratches, it should hold up long long long after we are all gone.

Last edited by Jason in TX; 05-23-2011 at 11:27 AM.
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:23 AM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
Anyone using Dynamat in your A's? Wondering if it would trap moisture in the panels?

Steve
I guess the true question is what happens if it does trap moisture? We use Dynamat (or an equivilent) but the panel the Dynamat is affixed to has been epoxy coated, --or is primed extensively where even if there was moisture, it isn't going to matter. The worse problem is the panelboard that some upholstery kit manufacturers is not very moistureproof, so the bigger issue is not if the metal gets damp, ...but what happens when the upholstery gets wet.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:45 AM   #4
jerry shook

I have put dynamat supreme in all 3 of my model a, have not had any moisture problems. Works great . Clean area and press down good so you dont leave air pockets . God bless
jerry shook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:55 AM   #5
Smitty

I am guessing a good finish on inner body panels and proper application of teh dynamat would be key. Moisture is sure to get down inside of the doors via windows. How about trunk area, is anyone able to keep a coupe trunk completely dry? Also - Standard coupe with trunk does not have panels to close off wheel well area does it?

Steve
Old 05-23-2011, 12:26 PM   #6
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
I am guessing a good finish on inner body panels and proper application of teh dynamat would be key. Moisture is sure to get down inside of the doors via windows. How about trunk area, is anyone able to keep a coupe trunk completely dry? Also - Standard coupe with trunk does not have panels to close off wheel well area does it?

Steve
Well, you have an excellent point in that none of the car is "weatherproof" anyway. The 'anti-drum' is all you should see in the trunk area, ...and again, if you think about it, the area should be enveloped in paint enough to prevent rusting. Outside of that, storing in a climate controlled environment is about all you can do to prevent any type of condensation. If that is not available, just do as any other type car and let the sun evaporate it off on a sunny day.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 02:56 PM   #7
Smitty

Anti-drum?
Old 05-23-2011, 03:42 PM   #8
LukeDahlinger
BANNED

I've used Dynamat in quite a few cars for customers, it works great. Sometimes I'll Dynamat and use the foil insulation as a team. My personal cars all have dynamat and foil insulation. One sits outside year round and I've never noticed any moisture entrapment, but then again the floor pan, inside of the doors etc was primed and base coat laid down before installing the sound deadener.