Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-27-2020, 10:03 PM   #1
TomT/Williamsburg

Default 40-41 vs 42-47 40 Pickup Cab Wood Differences

Been working with n my wife’s non-stock 40-41, Pickup when I noticed the cab wood was installed the correctly. The front most piece was under the forward most mount point of the cab. A buddy of mine did the body work, paint, and mounted it on my frame for me about 6 years ago. I just never thought about the cab wood mounting. He had to slice and dice the wood quite a bit since my cab is of the 42-47 variety and the floors differ due to the gas tank being located under the seat.

The pics tell the tale and after a little tweaking after my initial modifications, everything went well ...

First and second pics - the gas tank floor goes wider and deeper than the. 40-41 so I needed to cut into the wood. I used a cutoff wheel, belt sander, carbide drill bit, and anything else I had around to make those mods. You can also see a couple minor mods at the mount points to match the floor supports.
Third pic - the forward most piece just needed a cutout for the 1x2 heavy wall tubing that is in place to support the modified “X” center for an automatic .....
Forth pic - pieces are in place.

All of this work was done with the cab on the frame and me on my back underneath the truck. I found some ways to pic the cab up and hold it steady while I measured and cut. A lot of up and down but I was able to do everything without hearting me or the truck !

Special thanks to Kube for his advice- thanks Mike!
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 10:13 PM   #2
skidmarks

Default Re: 40-41 vs 42-47 40 Pickup Cab Wood Differences

I ran into the same problem when i used a 1-1/2 ton cab on a pickup frame. It was a 40 but had the sunken floor under the seat for a gas tank.

I took a 7" grinder.with 36 grit disc and scalloped out the edge to get clearance. But i did it while the cab was off the frame.
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote