Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-07-2021, 12:28 PM   #1
Patrick brophy

Default Hood bumpers

I am in the middle of getting my 1957 Thunderbird ready for paint.I am working on the hood gaps now,and I need some information.

My car was pretty rough when I started out, and many things needed to be corrected.

I bought new hood bumpers, and there are four bumpers in the bag. I only see 2 holes where these bumpers might go. Both holes are 20 1/2 inches from the rear of the hood area where the hood pad goes.

There were numerous other holes that were in the same channel that had been welded up and crudely ground down, but I do not see two that look even.

I have taken a lot of time to clean this area up and that may be working against me.

Could a fellow 1957 Bird owner perhaps measure theirs and let me know what the proper measurements are ?

I need to install the bumpers in order to set the hood gaps.
Thanks
Patrick brophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 08:33 PM   #2
dmsfrr

Default Re: Hood bumpers

Not positive these are original but there are 4 small (1/8" ?) matching screw holes for the bottoms of the bumpers and the measurements are symmetrical.

Photo 1
These two are both 1 inch forward of the vertical fresh air vent control rods in the fenders.
And there are another pair of matching holes 21 inches forward of these two.

Photo 2, close up, drivers side. Showing the fresh air vent rod (arrow) and the screw hole for the rubber bumper (red circle).

Here's a google search link to more than a few photos of much nicer looking engine compartments.
Most of them show the hood bumpers along the outer edges...
https://www.google.com/search?q=imag...=firefox-b-1-d
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hood bumpers.jpg (59.0 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg hood bumper hole c.jpg (34.9 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 10-08-2021 at 03:33 PM. Reason: added the link, I hope it works for you
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 06:19 PM   #3
Patrick brophy

Default Re: Hood bumpers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsfrr View Post
Not positive these are original but there are 4 small (1/8" ?) matching screw holes for the bottoms of the bumpers and the measurements are symmetrical.

Photo 1
These two are both 1 inch forward of the vertical fresh air vent control rods in the fenders.
And there are another pair of matching holes 21 inches forward of these two.

Photo 2, close up, drivers side. Showing the fresh air vent rod (arrow) and the screw hole for the rubber bumper (red circle).

Here's a google search link to more than a few photos of much nicer looking engine compartments.
Most of them show the hood bumpers along the outer edges...
https://www.google.com/search?q=imag...=firefox-b-1-d
Great, that was what I was looking for regarding the measurement between the two sets of bumpers, front to back.
I had what I thought was a correct set that appeared to be in the place I would expect to find them. The second set could have been anywhere as there had been so much cleanup work done and holes filled in and then ground down. Not all done by me.

Couple of fine looking engine bays there........

Thanks.
Patrick brophy is offline   Reply With Quote