Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-07-2021, 05:38 PM   #41
KULTULZ

Question Re: Adding turbo to classic FE block

Photo of the 1960 352HP and 1961 390 375HP below -

... hmmpf ... That didn't go well ...

Must not have been shown in HOT ROD MAGAZINE.

Got it that time ...

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)

Last edited by KULTULZ; 10-07-2021 at 06:25 PM.
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 05:49 PM   #42
KULTULZ

Exclamation Re: Adding turbo to classic FE block

I missed this one -

Quote:
6. Dual point dist w/o vac adv. There may be a exception here and the very first engines (very few like <10) may have had VA and single points
... hmmpf ...

Did HOT ROD include that in their expose' (Fr.) all factual magazine article?(Fr.)

How come you get exceptions and I don't?

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Old 10-08-2021, 02:06 AM   #43
frnkeore

Default Re: Adding turbo to classic FE block

5851a, as you surmised, it was a typo, I corrected it.

KULUTZ, I'm sure you must then, be unaware that Ford releases cars to magazines, for advertising and promotional purposes. In doing so, they also supply information that they want to be publicly known but, beyond that my purpose for including that HR reference, was to prove a time line i.e. you can't do a article on something that doesn't exist.

If a new model is offered for promotion, from the factory, with non RPO equipment, it would likely be a sign, that it's a prototype and that is a way to date something.

The HR article was the first reference of the 360HP, if the 360HP was produced in Sept, because it was a big deal, it would have been promoted somewhere between Aug and Oct of '59 and not Dec & Jan (MT).

Lastly, I'm not like you, I document my info and include any thing that that I've heard, from what I consider a reliable source.

You ask me for pictures and documentation and I provide it! I ask the same of you and you provide, only excuses of why you can't or won't!

It may be foolish on my part but, again, I'll ask you for documentation of your statement that a outside source cast the intakes.
'54 Ford Tudor Mainline
frnkeore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 03:01 AM   #44
KULTULZ

Talking Re: Adding turbo to classic FE block

Quote:
Originally Posted by frnkeore View Post

Lastly, I'm not like you, I document my info and include any thing that that I've heard, from what I consider a reliable source.

You ask me for pictures and documentation and I provide it! I ask the same of you and you provide, only excuses of why you can't or won't!

It may be foolish on my part but, again, I'll ask you for documentation of your statement that a outside source cast the intakes.
If you had asked in a somewhat respectable manner to begin with, I would have started to dig ...

Quote:
KULTULZ, I'm afraid I will need some documentation of the things you are stating.
I in turn asked for your documentation, which you have not supplied, only a reference to a car magazine which most often is not exact and/or to the point. A TECH WRITER supplied the text, not a FORD REP.

My asking you for documentation was my being facetious.

The SPECS you see in that article are most likely the same FOMOCO was required to submit as final product to NASCAR, NHRA, USAC or whomever as to be built for public purchase. It will not describe design, testing and assembly before final release of the engine.

If you want the absolute truth, you would have to search HOLMAN-MOODY as this who did most research/build for FOMOCO during this period or through FORD TSB release's.

Now do me a favor and step outside and check the parking meter as your WHITE STALLION is double parked.

Why Me!?

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 10-08-2021, 03:26 AM   #45
KULTULZ

Post Re: Adding turbo to classic FE block

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5851a View Post

I actually find all of this interesting.
I find it trying myself and I apologize for my behavior, but ...

Let me try and answer all your questions this time ...

Quote:
1) Didn't know the carb pad was flat on intake. Did it use an angled spacer under carb like the 385 engine in Continentals?
The carb pad angle is directly tied to the install angle of the engine with a carburetor as the carb has to be somewhat level to get the calibration correct. What you see are engines installed at a higher angle and their using a wedged spacer so as not have to cast a special intake.

Quote:
2) Just a question, but on a casting isn't there an exact time it was cast in the casting? I mean like for example the 5th day of the 10th month on 2nd shift. Or is that something that came later.
There are several types of CASTING ID MARKS. One when the casting was poured (DATE CODE) and info will vary according to the type of casting part. And these will vary over different periods. Two will be the foundry location. Three will be casting mold no. Four, usually there will be a STAMPING ID that will give date of assembly (engine in this example) and shift so as to allow FORD to go back if there has been trouble with the casting.

Quote:
3) The parts books are full of revisions. I have a 67 Galaxie, it was built after March 67. So it came with nylon fuel line, plastic w/washer tank and small thermostat. Just don't say never about Ford. I work in an assembly plant and things and parts are changed and substitutions are made, but now they want serial number of first new part installed documentation. Not sure how they did back when.
The PARTS BOOK(s) are the last source for how a car was originally assembled for certainty. They are updated quarterly and as obsolete parts are dropped they are deleted from text. If a part is superseded by a replacing PN, it will be there for a short period then usually dropped from text (this was more common in the PRICE BOOK). There are different references to find replaced/deleted PN's as there are texts to cross CASTING ID NOS over to SERVICE PART NOS.

I think I covered it all ...

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 10-08-2021, 03:27 AM   #46
frnkeore

I just noticed that you only included one picture and it's the flat carb pad 360HP manifold.

The 390HP was a completely different manifold and was also used on the 385HP, 406.

The 360HP, was a one year (actually 1/2 yr) use manifold.

The '61 390 has larger runners, that are higher to the ports. Note the #5 runner and it's relationship to the upper plane runners. No change for the 406. This is my manifold, dated 1C3. It was ground on before I bought it and I've remachined it and will weld the missing divider back in. The pad originally looked like the C3AE -F

The second picture is the next 4V manifold, the LR 427, C3AE -F
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P2080019.JPG (419.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg LR-F Manifold.jpg (54.7 KB, 11 views)
'54 Ford Tudor Mainline
Old 10-08-2021, 03:33 AM   #47
KULTULZ

Exclamation Re: Adding turbo to classic FE block

I stand corrected.

Who hogged it out? Kinda valuable to take a grinder to it.

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 10-08-2021, 03:42 AM   #48
frnkeore

Here is a actual human, Ford source, quoted in Motor Life Magazine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 360HP release.JPG (80.4 KB, 14 views)
'54 Ford Tudor Mainline