Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 09:50 AM   #1
jackson32

Default 2000 cc pinto engine in model a

Is there any interest in putting 2000 cc pinto mustang motor in the Model A aby more I alweays wanted to do it and never got to it. The ones I saw were very nice cars to drive on the hiway and in traffic. What is going on here and now.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:28 AM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: 2000 cc pinto engine in model a

There used to be several F/B participants that owned Pinto-powered Model-As. I must confess that I have only driven one, ...and quite frankly I was not that impressed. The 122 ci (2000cc) Pinto engine does make more horsepower than the 201 ci Model A/B engine, but not as much torque. Torque is really what makes an old car fun to drive IMHO. I say go for it if that is one of those things you have always wanted to do but I'm not so sure it is a swap that the performance outcome is worth the effort.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

Old 07-27-2012, 10:47 AM   #3
1oldtimer

Happy bday brent..........I have one in a '28 Tudor (bought it that way), it's pretty slow from a stop (A/T). I'm hopping it up a little so we'll see, at least it's good on gas .
Old 07-27-2012, 10:53 AM   #4
Jim Brierley

Brent summed it up nicely! It has been done many times, usually for reliability but the stock engine is quite reliable as-is. Many people drive their A's across country with no problems. Most install an overdrive and make some engine changes to increase power, but are still very reliable.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:15 AM   #5
jackson32

I never questioned the A's reliability but back a ways the A group from Chicago had quite a few with pinto motors and told me the pinto engine allowed them to use the A on the interstate gave them a higher cruseing speed in my mind the A engine with V8 flywheel , transnission and mitchel overdrive might beat that a bunch.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:23 AM   #6
John Schlegel

Cost for a good touring car is less with a pinto
Just went on a run from Fresno,Ca to Mariposa, Ca Models A with converted engines and none had a problems going up the grades.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:00 PM   #7
Charlie Stephens

I put a 181 cubic inch Mercruiser marine (a bigger version of the Chevy II 4 cylinder) into a '32 roadster about 35 years ago. You find yourself an outcast to the restorers and the street rodders don't like you because the engine isn't big enough. The car runs great and I enjoy it. If anything I would recommend this 181 cubic inch engine as a better engine than the Pinto. It is bigger and looks more like a Model A with an overhead. Today there are much better machine shops to build reliable Model A engines and I would go that route. The nice thing (which I planned ahead for) is that you don't make any changes that cannot be reversed. I would not do it again today and there is a stock engine under the bench that is going back someday.

Charlie Stephens
Old 07-27-2012, 12:02 PM   #8
Gord. B by the bay

30 roadster, B engine HP head all the rest stock crossed USA 8000 miles did not check the air in the tires trouble free and reliable
Gord. B by the bay
Old 07-27-2012, 12:14 PM   #9
jackson32

I always thought I'd like a A with pinto engine or the chevy 2 engine (4 cylinder) with chevy engine you can use t5 tranny make a great driver out of it .
Old 07-27-2012, 12:25 PM   #10
FL&WVMIKE

Here's an unique idea - How about a Chevy 350 ?
You get torque and speed.
MIKE
Old 07-27-2012, 12:31 PM   #11
400A-64

16,000 miles around the world...no juice brakes...no overdrive, just 12 v and a second gas tank. works great!! ( I do love my Mitchell OD though!!)
Bruce Davis [email protected]
Old 07-27-2012, 12:36 PM   #12
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schlegel View Post
Cost for a good touring car is less with a pinto
Just went on a run from Fresno,Ca to Mariposa, Ca Models A with converted engines and none had a problems going up the grades.
With all due respect, could you elaborate on this thought?

My thoughts are that a core Pinto engine ain't cheap anymore due to the Hobby stock 4 cylinder class at the dirt track using up all the cores. Then someone needs to factor in the $$ of either purchasing a kit (now obsolete) or fabricating the adapters, brackets, and items necessary for the install, plus do the installation. Time is money too.

Now, lets compare apples-to-apples again with the engine itself. The machine work for boring, honing, and decking are nearly the same since both are 4 cylinders. Buying a good quality camshaft for either engine should set you back about the same with either engine. To buy a well constructed bullet-proof 2000 cc engine from a reputable builder will set you back over $4k if it has good parts in it. The same applies for a Model-A engine.

Granted we could banter back and forth all afternoon nitpicking which item is cheaper but like was mentioned above, for the extra amount of work/expense installing the Pinto engine vs. building a nice Model-A engine, I think most will agree the Model-A engine will have the upper hand. This also applies during re-sale time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson32 View Post
I always thought I'd like a A with pinto engine or the chevy 2 engine (4 cylinder) with chevy engine you can use t5 tranny make a great driver out of it .
Sure, then you do what to the driveline to adapt the T-5? Now we are talking open driveline conversion (--or engineer a closed one) which affects brakes, etc. etc. Many can make a great argument that for many years they were great driver's without the need of a Pinto engine or a T-5 transmission. Sometimes re-inventing the wheel is not the most prudent thing to do IMO. Your car though so do as you wish....

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

Old 07-27-2012, 01:04 PM   #13
Pete

I can think of a whole bunch of 4 bangers that would be FAR better choices than a
push rod Pinto engine. 100 hp out of a 2300 Pinto is easy and cheap to achieve not to mention all the twin cam 4 valve per cyl engines.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:28 PM   #14
1oldtimer

Also before this post explodes .......

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=705051
Old 07-27-2012, 03:26 PM   #15
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1oldtimer View Post
Also before this post explodes .......

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=705051
Very interesting read, but a lot of pointing back to the Barn for information!
Old 07-27-2012, 05:04 PM   #16
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson32 View Post
With the 4 cyl Chevy engine you can also use a standard speed shop adapter (same adapter as used for the Chevy V8) to a '32-'39 V8 trans and keep the original rear end to reduce the overall changes. I would still go with a properly built A or B engine if given the choice.

Charlie Stephens
Old 07-27-2012, 05:48 PM   #17
CarlG

I have a real hard time justifying using anything "Cheby" in my Model A FORD
Old 07-27-2012, 07:01 PM   #18
Jack '29 Sport Coupe

The last year the Pinto was made was 1980. You would have thought that by then all of the bugs would have been worked out. They weren't. My 1980 crapped out with only 59K miles on it due to undersized portals for the oil to flow through. At least that's what my mechanic said was the problem. Give me a stock Model A any day of the week. JMHO.

Jack
Old 07-27-2012, 08:01 PM   #19
1oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack '29 Sport Coupe View Post
The last year the Pinto was made was 1980. You would have thought that by then all of the bugs would have been worked out. They weren't. My 1980 crapped out with only 59K miles on it due to undersized portals for the oil to flow through. At least that's what my mechanic said was the problem. Give me a stock Model A any day of the week. JMHO.

Jack
The 2.0 was only made for 3 or 4 years and was a german built motor, super strong race motor but a little harder to get parts for now.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:21 PM   #20
PetesPonies

Jackson, I'm in the "slow" process of building a '31 Woodie pickup with a 2.0 Pinto. I'm mating it to a '36 trans and everything else will be "close" to original looking. If you need to bounce ideas or such, keep me in mind. I haven't figured it all out yet, but have a good start.
Closed Thread