Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-14-2021, 05:31 PM   #1
Lawson Cox

Default 35-36 pickup dash lights

The dash lights on my 35 peecup, particularly the gauges on each side of the speedometer, are very dim. I just installed LED bulbs and they increased the brightness of the speedometer A LOT. The gauges, however, are not much brighter, if any. The dimness of the light at the gauges is primarily why I changed to LEDs. It seems the lights are not positioned properly to light the gauges very well. Is this a problem that is peculiar to the pickups/commercials or is it true with all 35-36 gauges? I'm befuddled and bewildered. All suggestions and comments appreciated. Thanks guys.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 06:14 PM   #2
CA Victoria

Default Re: 35-36 pickup dash lights

One thought Lawson is that the green tinted plastic covers that the light shines thru is not as translucent as it once was and the other is the white reflective paint inside the gauge fades over time.
T.
Old 09-14-2021, 07:37 PM   #3
terry

Lawson, I think this is true of all 35/36 gauges. I even tried to enlarge the openings width wise using a file. Then I put in new clear plastic. None of this helped all that much, even with LED bulbs. Terry
terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 08:42 PM   #4
Lawson Cox

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry View Post
Lawson, I think this is true of all 35/36 gauges. I even tried to enlarge the openings width wise using a file. Then I put in new clear plastic. None of this helped all that much, even with LED bulbs. Terry
That is what I'm beginning to think Terry, that it is a design flaw. I'm gonna smoke 'em over very carefully and see if I can noodle out the problem. At least I can tell how fast I'm going even if I can't tell if I'm running hot and have no oil pressure. LOL

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Old 09-15-2021, 12:13 PM   #5
Don Rogers

What bulb # are you presently using?
Don Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 02:07 PM   #6
Lawson Cox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Rogers View Post
What bulb # are you presently using?
I am presently using an LED bulb. (I'll see if I can find the little boxes that probably have the bulb number on it if that will help.) It lights up the speedometer very well but not the instruments. I believe it is just the way the lighting arrangement is set up and the light just doesn't make it into the gages. Any suggestions to improving the situation will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Don.

Old 09-16-2021, 12:46 PM   #7
Lawson Cox

I THINK I have figured out my problem. The large openings, for light to shine on the gauges, on the gas/temp gauge, are apparently on the bottom of the gauge and the very small hole is on top where the bulb is, so no light is getting through. I have reached this conclusion from looking at several other gauges I have in my stash. I'm gonna pull the gauges to be sure. Somehow the bezels got switched or something. Progress report to follow. Are we having fun yet?

Looking at gauges in a mirror, laying on my back under the dash is confusing as heck. I believe gauges are correct, just poor design. I'm giving up.

Last edited by Lawson Cox; 09-16-2021 at 04:20 PM.
Old 09-16-2021, 09:19 PM   #8
Jeff/Illinois

Our '36 PU, same thing.

To counter it I just don't drive after dark.

One time this summer when I DID come home in the dark one night, I had a small LED flashlight I shined on the gauges to see where we stood I was only a couple miles from home.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 09:48 AM   #9
325w

On a 36 sedan I did with 59 Chevy gauges I had same problem. Found some colored plastic sheet. Used heat gun to shrink to the bulb. Worked
325w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 03:01 PM   #10
Ggmac

Ive used a fiber obtics ( ? ) dash light assembly from older 80s jaguars, it only requires a 1/16 “ hole for the fiber optic to slip through. I then use a dab of holt melt glue to hold it . The light it delivers isnt much but you can adjust how many fibers you put in to get more .
Amazon has something similar but it requires you to adapt the fibers to a bulb for its light source . It sounds like a lot of work but it isnt .
Ggmac is offline   Reply With Quote