Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-07-2014, 03:18 PM   #1
pennies4pennies

Default wrong windshield ??

First I like to Thank everybody that has help me along the way on redoing my first model A. I am on the windshield now trying to dry fit everything. So I see there's this vacuum line that runs up the side of the windshield and is connected to the firewall but not to the engine. There was no wiper motor on this car when I bought it. So I went and bought a vacuum motor from a member here. I went and order all parts that would go from the engine to the wiper motor. Well I never really look at the windshield where the wiper motor bolts up. Well wouldn't you have it there is only one hole in the windshield frame as you can see in the picture. Now I'm thinking maybe the windshield was changed. Can I drill holes to mount the wiper motor or is this the wrong windshield to use?
Frank
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01.jpg (402.9 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg 02.jpg (338.3 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg 03.jpg (377.5 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg 04.jpg (403.8 KB, 88 views)
pennies4pennies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 03:44 PM   #2
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Default Re: wrong windshield ??

this is off marcos web site and may help you
about using that frame somebody may chime in
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (112.5 KB, 63 views)
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 03:56 PM   #3
Wm J.

The frame you have is off a 28/29 closed cab pickup or truck with the hand wiper. You should trade it for the correct one so it can be saved for a pickup or truck being restored for blue ribbon points.
Bill
Wm J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 04:40 PM   #4
CarlG

I've got the same situation. Mine is a late 31, but has a hand wiper with the single hole as shown above. It was that way when I bought it. I'm fairly sure that was done when it was "restored" some 25+ years ago. (Along with the 28-29 headlight bar that was on it that I have already changed out for the correct one.)
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:58 AM   #5
Bob C

Are you sure you have the correct wiper motor? It looks like the TR-C2A motor, which
mounts on the shaft collar, came out in late 1930. The truck windshield had a tube for the hand
wiper shaft to go through and I don't see that on your frame, may just be the angle of
the picture.

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wipertr-c2A.jpg (50.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Bracket.jpg (21.0 KB, 11 views)
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 12:25 PM   #6
pennies4pennies

The vacuum wiper motor I bought was for a 30/31 fordoor, which came off a briggs. I have a original vacuum line coming from the firewall. At the window frame where the hole is has 2 pop ribits , one on each side of the hole. It looks like the inside the ribits where possible ground down. There is no inside tube or bracket. It's possible the bracket/tube was removed and left the ribits. I am just really learning about Model As.
I am going by what is told to me by other members of the forum. My car frame shows oct/nov of 1930. Since I have a straight windshield and it opens I would think the wiper motor was on the out side. Right. I will post a picture here in a few minutes of the motor I bought. I do have the original pull handle for this motor that came with this car in a box of other parts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 320.jpg (420.2 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg 321.jpg (279.2 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 323.jpg (468.4 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 322.jpg (361.7 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 324.jpg (531.6 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 326.jpg (506.8 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 327.jpg (425.9 KB, 37 views)

Last edited by pennies4pennies; 04-08-2014 at 12:49 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:24 PM   #7
Bob C

Frank,
The center picture in post #16 shows how to tell the difference
between the 28-29 and 30-31 windshields, this may help to
determine what you have. http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...ndshield+frame

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 02:55 PM   #8
pennies4pennies

Outstanding Bob. With out any question I have a 30/31 windshield. So I guess the wiper motor might belong on the inside which would change everything. I'm not sure what to do now. I guess I could drill holes but need to know measurements to a tee to be right. Or even buy another wiper motor for the inside, which I think would be a completely different set up for running a vacuum line and mounting bracket I guess for the motor. Does anybody have pictures of a inside mounted motor and how lines are run? Another thing is how would the windshield tilt out if the rod runs out the windshield frame and the motor is mounted on the inside. Some days I feel like taking the car and just push it aside pile every part on it, cover it and just forget about it for good.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:08 PM   #9
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennies4pennies View Post
... Some days I feel like taking the car and just push it aside pile every part on it, cover it and just forget about it for good.
I feel like that sometimes, but fortunately it only lasts a couple of days. Right now I have a deadline -- our first outing of the season coming up in 10 days. Gotta get cracking!
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 03:41 PM   #10
Joe K

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennies4pennies View Post
Outstanding Bob. With out any question I have a 30/31 windshield. So I guess the wiper motor might belong on the inside which would change everything. I'm not sure what to do now. I guess I could drill holes but need to know measurements to a tee to be right. Or even buy another wiper motor for the inside, which I think would be a completely different set up for running a vacuum line and mounting bracket I guess for the motor. Does anybody have pictures of a inside mounted motor and how lines are run? Another thing is how would the windshield tilt out if the rod runs out the windshield frame and the motor is mounted on the inside. Some days I feel like taking the car and just push it aside pile every part on it, cover it and just forget about it for good.
When you thought it was a 28-29 windshield I almost put up my hand on the offer to buy - but wasn't sure since windshields for the pickups almost have to be compared a to b to be sure it's the right one.

On my 29 pickup which had the hand wiper originally, I retrofitted an electric motor wiper which I bought from JC Whitney for the staggering sum of $7.95 plus shipping. I see they're still available, but a little more money now.

Electric actually has some advantages over the vacuum wiper. I tried a vacuum wiper that came with the truck - but found the wiper NOT to meet my modern expectations of wiper performance. Vacuum wipers are wont to STOP when you push the accelerator to the floor - just the time you might need them most to avoid a collision.

But for the sake of originality, some tolerate that idiosyncrosy.

Joe K
Old 04-08-2014, 04:36 PM   #11
Tom Wesenberg

Rain-X to the rescue!
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 05:51 PM   #12
pennies4pennies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Rain-X to the rescue!
Don't LOL to much because that's my next step. LOL about a 1/4" thick
Old 04-09-2014, 04:17 AM   #13
silversink

rainX ---I keep some under the seat for a rainy day
Old 04-09-2014, 10:20 AM   #14
pennies4pennies

Okay found out everything about this windshield with help of members and others. It seems the bottom and sides of the frame are 30/31 and the top of the frame is a 28/29 pickup. This can be done with no problem. So now I am waiting on a call back from Berts to see if he has the top frame right for my car. The bottom is correct.
So this post can come to a rest. Thanks for all the help, a good learning post for me.