Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-27-2012, 06:57 PM   #21
[email protected]

Default Re: Side Mount Spares vs. Rear Mount

Here is the story on my experience with side mount versus rear mount. Around ten years ago I had a NOS side mount Driver Side Fender that I put on my 30 Coupe because I thought it would just look sooo neat. I put it on and had a fancy spare tire rear view mirror mounted on it to boot. It seemed the more I drove it the less I liked it, has it seemed to shake or vibrate more then the original standard fender. Also you could not see anything out of that fancy rear view mirror because of the vibration. I think I ran my coupe that way for most of a year and then put it back to the original fender. The NOS side mount fender ended up being good trading stock for other Model A parts I needed for another project. In over 30 years of driving my Model A's, I have never had to contend with a flat tire so the ease of getting to the spare has not be a big worry for me.
modela@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:06 PM   #22
antiquepa

When I bought mine in 2004 it had a rear mount, I always liked the side mounts so I changed it to the double side mount, to each his /her own its what you like so do what is best for you, if everyone liked the same thing everyone would be driving a MODEL "A" FORD!! (just my 2 cents)
antiquepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:33 PM   #23
RcT

My '29 coupe was with a trunk, rather than a rumble, and rear spare. I liked the looks, but access to the trunk was made more of a challenge with the spare in the rear... especially getting to the front of the trunk. Spare tires are in the way, no matter where they are, and flat tires on the road rarely occur. If a tire goes flat, its usually at home, and I think most people would just fix the flat tire, rather than mess with the spare. Personally, I like the rear spare. It keeps the car "simple" and Ford-like, rather than the fender spares.
RcT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:41 PM   #24
Steve Wastler

Definately prefer rear mounts, but the mailtruck right front fender spare has grown on me....
Steve Wastler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:49 PM   #25
California Charlie

I've got both situations and prefer the rear mounted spare. I find it difficult to work on the engine compartment and getting out of the car with the side mounts; however for eye appeal the side mounted tires look really sharp to me. I guess I'm lucky to have the best of both worlds. CC
California Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:26 PM   #26
SDJason

Well, the one thing I really don't like about my Town Sedan is not having any storage space at all - I was thinking about getting a passenger side side-mount and putting a trunk on, but it looks like the consensus is that most folks prefer a rear-mount. hmmm...decisions...decisions...
SDJason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:34 PM   #27
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDJason View Post
Well, the one thing I really don't like about my Town Sedan is not having any storage space at all - I was thinking about getting a passenger side side-mount and putting a trunk on, but it looks like the consensus is that most folks prefer a rear-mount. hmmm...decisions...decisions...
You can always put a tool box between the front frame horns.
Somebody has them ready made. Just a bolt in deal.
I have one and I keep my chains in it in the winter and beer and ice in the summer. Be sure to keep the drain holes clear all the time.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:40 PM   #28
jr-41ford

My 28 Tudor came from the factory with a rear mount spare. When I was buying the car, I looked it over and seen that it had some previous front sheet metal damage and when they put it back together, dual side mounts were installed.

The rear mount is still there, but covered by the trunk. I really dislike the side mount fenders, took off the mirrors when I brought it home.

I've advertised in our club news letter, that I would trade straight across for a standard set of fenders. I think they look good, but they make it hard to get in and out of for an old fat boy.

When I do change them out, I will extend my trunk mount out about 6 inches, like another member in my club did.

I would never own another Model A with side mount spares. The spares are Firestone.
jr-41ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:16 PM   #29
FL&WVMIKE

My 1929 Roadster came with banged up fenders and a rear mounted spare, but I found two NOS welled front fenders, a NOS L/R fender, a NOS R/H splash pan and the mounting hardware for the side mounted spares, all for $90.00. So, I went with the sidemounts. Of course, this was in the early 1960s.
I never had to remove a side mount to fix a flat.
MIKE
Attached Images
File Type: jpg modela1.jpg (372.4 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg nosfenders.jpg (362.6 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg modela3.jpg (349.5 KB, 47 views)

Last edited by FL&WVMIKE; 08-27-2012 at 10:37 PM.
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:26 PM   #30
Rowdy
BANNED

I would prefer the rearmount, but since my Deluxe Delivey came factory with a sidemount as is the the only reasonanle way to put a spare on it I will just stick with that. Rod
Old 08-27-2012, 10:40 PM   #31
RcT

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL&WVMIKE View Post
My 1929 Roadster came with banged up fenders and a rear mounted spare, but I found two NOS welled front fenders, a NOS R/R fender, a NOS R/H splash pan and the mounting hardware for the side mounted spares, all for $90.00. So, I went with the sidemounts. Of course, this was in the early 1960s.
I never had to remove a side mount to fix a flat.
MIKE
That roadster is beautiful, then again, I am partial to black cars. Now if you could just consider blackwalls... I know, that issue has been beat to death. Still a great roadster, and I like the fender spare, especially with the black tire cover.
RcT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:11 AM   #32
BILL WILLIAMSON

Thumbs down Re: Side Mount Spares vs. Rear Mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by peters180a/170b View Post
Pete , tux cost to rent $140.00 .....I'll have pictures soon from my daughter's wedding on Sept.21
Peters,
Why do the brides get to spend thousands for wedding gowns and us poor pathetic men have to rent second hand tuxes that might still have B.O. in them & never seem to have bar change left in the pockets!! Oh! and don't forget those shiny plastic rental shoes that may have toe jam, fungi, or an athletes foot starter kit in them!
On our honeymoon night, we only went 12 miles out of town, the fog was so thick that I could only see the hood ornament on my '56 Chev. We stayed at the first motel sign that we could barely read in the fog. CHEAP PLACE! While Ole' Bill was checking if the sheets were fresh, Pat piped up, "Did you wash your feet when you changed to street shoes?" With this "rocky" start, we were married 55 years. (TRUE LOVE!)
Original question: NO! I DON'T LIKE SIDEMOUNT SPARES!! Bill W.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:35 AM   #33
Semper Fi

I have the duel side mounts on my 29 Roadster and that was part of what drew me to the car...... that and the rumble seat.

Ernie
Semper Fi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:40 AM   #34
Pat Martone

How about this an option for having both a trunk and a rear mount spare; see the photo.

I believe with these special extended-length trunk brackets available from Bratton's, Snyder's, and others, I can remove the spare tire without removing my bolted-down trunk. There is several inches of clearance between the back of the trunk and the spare tire - enough room to get a breaker bar and socket in there to remove the 2 lug nuts and 1 lug bolt, and then remove the tire.

Of course, this makes it a much "longer" car, and that could be a problem if you have a really short garage, but it easily fits into my 18-foot deep garage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trunkphoto.JPG (152.2 KB, 33 views)
Pat Martone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:05 AM   #35
Barney

I like both. Sedans, I'd rather go to the rear-mounted spare tire. At Coupes and Roadsters rather mounted on the side.
But that's just my taste.
Finally, it is a Model A and that's nice anyway.
Greetings Barney
Barney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:25 AM   #36
John LaVoy

When I was young and flexible getting in and out of the phaeton with side mounts was easy, now not so much. I did not put side mounts on the sedan just to make it easier to get in and out. The side mounts do restrict how far you can open the doors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sedan red wheels.jpg (80.0 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by John LaVoy; 08-28-2012 at 09:27 AM. Reason: adding picture
John LaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:53 PM   #37
FL&WVMIKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcT View Post
That roadster is beautiful, then again, I am partial to black cars. Now if you could just consider blackwalls... I know, that issue has been beat to death. Still a great roadster, and I like the fender spare, especially with the black tire cover.
RcT .....................
Thank you ! The car is actually Abdalusite Blue. I like the white walls. They make the car POP ! The side mounted white walls were a bit much, so I toned them down with the black covers.
Thanks,
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:00 PM   #38
MrTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin in NJ View Post
You left out the third option, dual sidemounts with a rear spare!

Yes, I have seen that. At the World Meet a guy showed up to get his car fine point judged and was asking what we thought. The car had just about every accessory you could put on an A. The honeycomb radiator was neat too.

My cabriolet has a rear spare and black wall tires- so factory like.

I thought they came from the factory with a spare rim but no tire? Hmmmm?!?
MrTube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:38 PM   #39
BILL WILLIAMSON

My first Model A, a '28 CCPU, backing up, window down, door popped open, clipped small tree, broke the plate glass window+*&%$^%^!! Door popped out perfect with a little push. In that era, it was kinda' special to have TWO windows that REALLY worked! Bill W.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:02 PM   #40
peters180a/170b

Kevin in N.J. ,, i went to Rhinebeck N.Y. meet 3 years ago and seen the 3 adapter bolts for the second rear spare... Seller said very rare and $$$$ asked if i ever seen them before... ??? I said no...This was on a Saturday late afternoon... Sunday morning i went back and showed him my n.o.s. set... Just to prove a point that $85.00 was way too much for me....l.o.l.
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote