Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-16-2018, 03:41 AM   #21
Mart

Default Re: seats in the woods

Good productive couple of day's work.

Glad to see the Stude made it safely. I remember the post asking about shipping but can't remember seeing a conclusion.

How did you make the running board extensions?

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:39 AM   #22
GB SISSON

The extensions were made from a slab of douglas fir I found down by the mill. The slab was 16" wide and 60" long. The running board extensions are 28 3/4 x 13 1/2. I planed it to 2 1/8" and routed in some grooves. Then glued in some strips with a bullnosed top. They are sort of crude, but so is the stude. Various layers of paint and primer to blend in. I have a retired friend that likes to make and weld in cab corners. We are going to work out a trade. Last cab corner he did I traded him a puppy. Not sure I will continue this thread since the seats were originally slated for the woodie, but now I got side tracked on the studebaker. And then there's that 48 plymouth woodie that was found at a defunct resort here on the island. It was slated for the crusher, so I dragged it home. What was I to do? But that's for another time.....
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 12:28 PM   #23
Mart

I kinda thought they might be made out of wood...
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:16 PM   #24
Russ/40

GB, you might try the seats in the early 60's Toyota land cruiser.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:34 PM   #25
tubman

Russ, are you sure about that? Have you seen the prices those things are bringing at auction? I, for one am amazed (and wouldn't pay it either).
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 10:05 AM   #26
GB SISSON

And yes, I do have one seat from an early fj 40 for the driver's seat. I asked the Landcruiser Specialties guy at Portland swap meet and he told me his were no where near my price range. He had a pair of the sideways mounted rear jump seats in fair condition for 500.00. I have scrapped numerous rusted fj 40s and just left them in. VW bug seats, pre '65 look about right though. I would like a tubular outer frame ideally, and two seats that match before I take them in for upholstery. I will get some pics of what I have on the passenger side. It is perfect.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 07-17-2018, 04:55 PM   #27
RKS.PA

Gary, since you're on quite a roll making woodies out of pickups, how about a combination of the '48 Plymouth and that travel trailer in the background of picture #5?

Gary's "Sissonabago".....the grandkids will go out their minds....Granpa Gary's rolling clubhouse!!!
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 09:18 PM   #28
GB SISSON

And if I can't pay my mortgage because I've spent too many hours on these rolling wrecks, my wife and I could just live in it..... Like that would be so terrible.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:58 AM   #29
Bill

I can smell ROADTRIP now. Ah the Pacific Coast RTE. 101S. A bonding experience for sure....Time is a thief. LOL Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 11:39 PM   #30
T Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
And if I can't pay my mortgage because I've spent too many hours on these rolling wrecks, my wife and I could just live in it..... Like that would be so terrible.
Hey Gary,

What about the Model A with the Mercedes grill sitting in your driveway. How does that fit in the scheme of things? I think you should post a picture of that here on the barn. Quite creative.
T Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 11:56 PM   #31
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Scott View Post
Hey Gary,

What about the Model A with the Mercedes grill sitting in your driveway. How does that fit in the scheme of things? I think you should post a picture of that here on the barn. Quite creative.

Been so busy getting stuff ready for the Puget Sound Antique Tractor and Machinery Asso annual meet in Lynden Wa, I never even saw this post. Funny how that grill fit right on there with no adjustments. I'll get a pic next week.