Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-16-2018, 10:40 PM   #21
meric42

Default Re: 39-40 Ford terminology

The attached picture is from a '42 Ford sales brochure. Whilst it's called a 'Business' coupe as such but it is described in the text 'for business or professional use...'
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bus Coupe sm.jpg (65.5 KB, 21 views)

Gotta love my '42 Sedan Delivery's - Now that I own the only two in New Zealand

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/album.php?albumid=580

Last edited by meric42; 07-16-2018 at 10:57 PM.
meric42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 11:46 PM   #22
19Fordy

I bet you could make one if you have a welder and patience. Make paper templates first for each piece.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1573963
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 09:38 AM   #23
Fred A

[QUOTE=rotorwrench;1651598]Kube must have been busy since he beat me to it. Ford never used the term "opera" that I'm aware of but then they never used the term "standard" either...

I know Ford used the terms Standard and 01A Std. Perhaps not in sales literature but for purpose of the Chassis Parts books. With my limited library, the May '41 "Chassis Parts and Price List" shows the term "01A" STD often. Not a lot of imagination required to see that they mean standard 1940. As for the "Green Book", page 366, a page known well by Kube, "1940 STANDARD RADIATOR GRILLE, HOOD, ETC. Again in my short search, the model recognition on page 760, "MODEL 01A--STANDARD "85 HP. 8--Cylinder Engine...

One could imagine after the sales BS of 1940 that reason was restored for the purpose of clarity for the service and repair elements. Which side of the elementary divide am I? I play both sides with no intent to confuse or debate. Often we all know what we mean as long as it doesn't put the wrong parts on our cars.

Good Luck: Fred A

Last edited by Fred A; 07-17-2018 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Correctness
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 09:58 AM   #24
Kube

[QUOTE=Fred A;1652264]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
Kube must have been busy since he beat me to it. Ford never used the term "opera" that I'm aware of but then they never used the term "standard" either...

I know Ford used the terms Standard and 01A Std. Perhaps not in sales literature but for purpose of the Chassis Parts books. With my limited library, the May '41 "Chassis Parts and Price List" shows the term "01A" often. Not a lot of imagination required to see that they mean standard 1940. As for the "Green Book", page 366, a page known well by Kube, "1940 STANDARD RADIATOR GRILLE, HOOD, ETC. Again in my short search, the model recognition on page 760, "MODEL 01A--STANDARD "85 HP. 8--Cylinder Engine...

One could imagine after the sales BS of 1940 that reason was restored for the purpose of clarity for the service and repair elements. Which side of the elementary divide am I? I play both sides with no intent to confuse or debate. Often we all know what we mean as long as it doesn't put the wrong parts on our cars.

Good Luck: Fred A
It's true that the service manuals and parts manuals often referred to the Ford V8 as a "standard". I have never found a document that would explain why that continued. Only a guess but I would think the sales and marketing folks were not too interested in communicating with the service personal.
As far as the public was concerned, there was no longer a "standard" in 1940, only a Ford V8 and Deluxe.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:26 AM   #25
Fred A

The problem remains, however small, that when I stick to the sales terms, even long time owners of 1940 cars give me that puzzled look until I revert to the more traditional. I don't allow myself to go totally wrong but share my Kube inspired explanation between Business and plain Coupe, sometimes to their doubt. I'm sure having fun however. Tough life for a smartass, just hoping not to be wrong. Good Luck: Fred A
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 01:15 PM   #26
rotorwrench

That add for the 1942 is interesting. I shows a bit of a role reversal for 1941 and 1942. When the Sedan Coupe came out, some called it the long door coupe. In any case it had a small back seat and a tad bit more room for that. In the add, it is the short door coupe that was referred to as a business coupe by many although it did not have seats in the back. The description indicates the seat back lifts up for access. This is the way the old plain coupe was in previous years where as the business coupe had the jump seats.

Once a habit gets started, the old habits die hard. We still use Standard and likely always will when referring to these old cars.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 07-17-2018 at 01:21 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 02:57 PM   #27
meric42

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
I bet you could make one if you have a welder and patience. Make paper templates first for each piece.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1573963
I did this (on the left) with a reproduction convertible bracket, I still have some more to do on it. Not exactly the same as the original (on the right), but will do the job I suppose. I would prefer an original, but they seem to be made from unobtainium.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spare Bracket 04 new sm.jpg (20.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Spare Bracket 04.jpg (52.3 KB, 6 views)

Gotta love my '42 Sedan Delivery's - Now that I own the only two in New Zealand

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/album.php?albumid=580
meric42 is offline   Reply With Quote