Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-10-2016, 08:45 PM   #1
mleder

Default Vacuum wiper and vacuum

If I'm not sure that my vacuum wiper motor is operating correctly one of the first tests I'd like to make is take a vacuum reading at the connection to the wiper motor and then know if I have the pressure. If I do have the correct pressure then I guess the wiper motor would need to be serviced. What pressure should I have at various engine speeds. Say idle, 1/4 throttle and 1/2 throttle under no load? . Just looking for an approximate value.
mleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 09:54 PM   #2
Cool Hand Lurker

Default Re: Vacuum wiper and vacuum

Normal operating vacuum is 15-18 but when you press down the accelerator then vacuum drops to near zero until the engine picks up speed and you back off the accelerator. Then the vacuum will go back to normal. During that time the wiper will stop moving. You could put an accessory vacuum tank to store vacuum for those down times.
Other than that I don't know if it is possible to answer your question of relating vacuum to 1/4 or 1/2 throttle. You could assume that it is a normal 15-17 without the throttle moving or just take it on the road with a vacuum meter attached and go through the various speeds. That would give you a good idea of just how a vacuum wiper works also.
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote