Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-06-2016, 01:56 PM   #41
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers
Default Re: Just received an email with this pic

OK fellas, I know you think I bullshit, that's fine, even though "Bullshit and Brilliance Comes with Age and Experience" is all a lie, I have spent the last hour going through all my photos to prove to all of you that I use to deliver Grit at Buttermilk Junction and here is the proof.................

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 02:48 PM   #42
Cool Hand Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Does anyone else see a face on the glass gas globe?
No, but I see a little boy standing behind the screen door with an older guy behind him.
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 03:52 PM   #43
Fred S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Mylar LakewoodCA View Post
Fred,
That's a great picture.
Where was the Howdy Doody show filmed.
In Los Angeles?
How did you get chosen?
Neil
Thanks. The show was done in New York City, and I think it was live. My dad's sister and family lived in NYC at the time, and we went to visit them on a summer vacation.

My dad had a grocery store, and got the peanut gallery tickets from one of the wholesalers, or product reps he dealt with. Maybe it was Colgate! That does make sense, since Colgate was the sponsor that day.

After the show, they took pictures of all of the kids with Howdy Doody, and mailed them later as a souvenir.
Fred S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 03:59 PM   #44
31 Model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred S View Post
Thanks. The show was done in New York City, and I think it was live. My dad's sister and family lived in NYC at the time, and we went to visit them on a summer vacation.

My dad had a grocery store, and got the peanut gallery tickets from one of the wholesalers, or product reps he dealt with. Maybe it was Colgate! That does make sense, since Colgate was the sponsor that day.

After the show, they took pictures of all of the kids with Howdy Doody, and mailed them later as a souvenir.
Fred, I copied your photo and sent it off to my sis, they are almost spittin images, could be sisters with pixie haircut and even the dress.
I would say that photo was taken in the latter half of the 50s???????????

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
Old 03-06-2016, 04:06 PM   #45
daveymc29

About the horse. In April of 1978 we were in Edinburgh asleep in out hotel room, when we awakened to the clop-clop of a horses hooves out on the cobblestone street. It would walk at a good clip for a bit the stop half minute or so, then off again. We went to the window an saw that it was the door to door milk man making his rounds. He would carry the milk to the porch as the horse and cart moved up to the next buyer. No commands were spoken, they were perfectly in tune, each doing his own job and doing it with practiced permission, no time wasted.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 04:13 PM   #46
Fred S

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31 Model A View Post
Fred, I copied your photo and sent it off to my sis, they are almost spittin images, could be sisters with pixie haircut and even the dress.
I would say that photo was taken in the latter half of the 50s???????????
I'd guess about 1955/56. I was born in '47.
Fred S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 04:28 PM   #47
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittykid View Post
I just got an email from my Wife's Aunt. This was one of the pics. Just thought I would pass it along. Smitty
If your old enough to have patronized such a 'general' store, the one thing that you might most likely remember ...is the kerosene heater as the only source of heat...and the smell of kerosene fumes permeated thru everything.. Miss that
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 04:28 PM   #48
31 Model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred S View Post
I'd guess about 1955/56. I was born in '47.
She's hunting for a photo of her about her age....she live in Mississippi now and all her photos might still be back here.....great photo and has to be one of your best memories.

Old 03-07-2016, 07:25 AM   #49
QGolden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith True View Post
Quinn,Do you have any pictures of your grandfathers garage?Not sure if it is now a home,a business,or some kind of home business.It's still a neat looking little set of buildings.A picture of his International wrecker would be interesting too.
HI Keith! I do, but he bought it in the mid to late '40s after the RailRoad pulled out, (He was an Engineer on the Suncook Valley). So no photos of A's. I have car photos from it during that period and there were a few A's on the road in town and they were frequently in for work, although most of them were "cut downs" by then, It was pretty popular to cut up old cars and turn them truck like vehicles. We had a '40 Chevy 2 door around for years that was cut down from the top of the rear window, between the fenders, and the trunk lid removed, with a wood bed inserted. Many "old timers" still ran cut down A's on wood lots and to power cordwood saws when I was little in the '60's.

I probably have a photo that includes the wrecker, although it would probably just be in the background of a shot. I never found a photo of "Pappy" posing with any garage equipment except the new pumps that were installed when we converted from Mobil to Shell in '68.

The Wrecker was a beast of a rig with a mid ship PTO driven winch. Hi-low box. He had a set of rollers installed under it so the cable could be payed out from the back, through the bed, under the truck and out through a fairlead in the front so he could pull himself into and out of a location if necessary. I know it was there in '72 and part of the inventory when the garage was sold. I have a memory of making a run in the early spring with my father in it in the '60s, where we had to winch in (seemed like a mile of road) from tree to tree, hook up to a truck buried in the mud, and winch out with the truck in tow.

The garage itself was originally a water powered saw mill, and a freight depot for the railroad. A painting of it exists on the stage curtain in the Town Hall today. They built a spur from the rail station on depot street up through the middle of town. The spur ended several hundred yards up above the mill, they would push freight cars with the engine up into town and brake them, as they loaded lumber from the mill on the cars, they would gravity roll them down into the rail yard, right through the middle of town! Well into the '70's the tracks were still poking up through the middle of town in what became Rt. 126 eventually, I don't know if they ever pulled them up or if they have been paved over so many times. There was a bunch of abandoned pieces of track laying around on the Garage property and my father cut a deal with Paul Labrecque to cut them up into 1 foot pieces and sold them as Bench Anvils, I still have on on my bench today, The Garage still stands in the center of town, although it is now a Woodwright's shop, and to be honest it is the best looking that building has been in the last 150 years.

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown

Last edited by QGolden; 03-07-2016 at 07:31 AM. Reason: Spellin'
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 08:02 AM   #50
FrankWest

Very nice!
FrankWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 08:52 AM   #51
Terry, NJ

Gee! I thought we were the last ones in 1951!
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveymc29 View Post
About the horse. In April of 1978 we were in Edinburgh asleep in out hotel room, when we awakened to the clop-clop of a horses hooves out on the cobblestone street. It would walk at a good clip for a bit the stop half minute or so, then off again. We went to the window an saw that it was the door to door milk man making his rounds. He would carry the milk to the porch as the horse and cart moved up to the next buyer. No commands were spoken, they were perfectly in tune, each doing his own job and doing it with practiced permission, no time wasted.
Terry, NJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 10:53 AM   #52
BILL WILLIAMSON

Chief was STUCK in Buzzard Creek bed, with a load of gravel, he tied a LOOOOOOONG rope between the duals, up & around a tree, & back to the other duals, RRRRRRR & he was out, in a flash. Guess who had to UNWIND that rope NIGHTMARE, while Chief had COFFEE from a Thermos??
Bill W.
Old 03-07-2016, 01:40 PM   #53
vern hodgson

Quote:
OK fellas, I know you think I bullshit, that's fine, even though "Bullshit and Brilliance Comes with Age and Experience" is all a lie, I have spent the last hour going through all my photos to prove to all of you that I use to deliver Grit at Buttermilk Junction and here is the proof.................

Funny, yer feet look like horses hooves. Reminds me of my little bro and I stamping on coke cans so they would stick to our shoes, then we had horse shoes.
vern hodgson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 02:25 PM   #54
Mikeinnj

Quote:

Funny how the cat, chickens and cars didn't move their positions from the un-retouched photo.
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 02:48 PM   #55
31 Model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by vern hodgson View Post
Funny, yer feet look like horses hooves. Reminds me of my little bro and I stamping on coke cans so they would stick to our shoes, then we had horse shoes.
Did that too as a kid, also the baseball cards clothes pinned to the bike spokes..............

BTW, those are my artificial feet, that's the kind VA fitted back in those days and up to about 10 years ago!!!!

Old 03-07-2016, 02:49 PM   #56
31 Model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeinnj View Post
Funny how the cat, chickens and cars didn't move their positions from the un-retouched photo.
Those were 'stay' chickens, trained them myself!!!!! and the cat was stuffed and the cars had no batteries. .............for sure!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-07-2016, 06:21 PM   #57
J Witt

In the early 1950s my dad was stationed at Hunter AFB in Savannah. We lived in what was euphemistically called a "project" and got our milk from horse drawn wagons. Shortly before we were transferred out, the dairy converted to Divco trucks. I remember also a horse drawn ice wagon coming around. The driver would chip off a piece of ice and give one to each kid, wrapped in a bit of newspaper and salted.

That's how we got our daily dose of benzine, from the newsprint ink. Guess the government would have a hissy fit over that now, and somebody would sue the ice company. There was no list of ingredients on the ice. That was the same time a truck would come around and fog the air with insecticide to kill mosquitoes. We kids would run around in the fog. It's why I'm like I am...

Is that kid selling Grit? Must be.

John
Old 03-07-2016, 09:05 PM   #58
Tom Wesenberg

Today that ice would have to be pasteurized, homogenized, socialized, and individually hermetically sealed in tiny wrappers.

And it could only be shipped by a union worker. The horse world also have to join a union.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 11:01 AM   #59
Tiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Today that ice would have to be pasteurized, homogenized, socialized, and individually hermetically sealed in tiny wrappers.

And it could only be shipped by a union worker. The horse world also have to join a union.
Easy now not every horse joined the Union. Some went out and got regular jobs. Others became very wealthy on this new invention "the horseless carriage" and hired drivers to take them around town.
Old 03-08-2016, 11:44 AM   #60
1Tudoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
Easy now not every horse joined the Union. Some went out and got regular jobs. Others became very wealthy on this new invention "the horseless carriage" and hired drivers to take them around town.
This post only gets better !
1Tudoor is offline   Reply With Quote