Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-17-2018, 08:25 PM   #1
FrankWest

Default on and off starter

1933 model B
Go out to start my car and press starter button...nothing
No cranking...Battery good and strong
push my car several feet, then starter cranks and engine starts.
Is there a dead spot on these original starters?
Don't mind pushing it several feet, just worrying that someday that won't be enough to engage starter?
FrankWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 09:48 PM   #2
petehoovie

Default Re: on and off starter

Here's a good exchange on this subject > https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...=starter+hangs

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 10:26 PM   #3
WABOOM

That was a good read. Thanks for posting that.
WABOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 12:09 AM   #4
chap52

Had a similar issue and found that the ring gear had gone askew and prevented the engine from turning. Pulled the starter and flywheel inspection plate, removed the plugs so the engine could be turned by hand when the ring gear was moved a bit and with a large punch was able to tap it back in place.
Just a band-aide as I ended up replacing the ring gear when I did the clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing a few weeks later.
But before I embarked on any major "might be fix" I would bench test the starter.
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 06:54 AM   #5
FrankWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by petehoovie View Post
Here's a good exchange on this subject > https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...=starter+hangs
pete...Great post.. Thanks for posting
Old 07-18-2018, 07:38 AM   #6
koates

Frank, If your starter did absolutely nothing then it would not be engaged with the ring gear unless you did not hear it engage. If it was not engaged then moving the car in gear would Not rotate the starter would it ? Starters do not normally have a flat spot or a dead spot unless the commutator is burnt or worn or the brushes worn or sticking in their holders. Has your starter been serviced or repaired in recent history ? Also test the starter switch on top of the starter, they can give problems with worn or burnt contacts inside. Check your battery terminals are clean and tight. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:08 AM   #7
FrankWest

Yeah, will do. I just had a problem with it again this morning. I will check all the connections.
Maybe you are right and something has come loose
My started has not be rebuilt, came with the car..it looks old..maybe original.
If I have to rebuild it do you recommend, trying to rebuild it myself or is that the kind of thing I better let someone else do?
Old 07-18-2018, 08:39 AM   #8
koates

Frank, you could have a go at it yourself, However if you don't really know what you are looking at then best leave it to somebody who knows like an auto electrical shop who have been around for a long time and have worked on older equipment. Old starters can be very dirty and oily inside and need a good wash with a solvent. Not Kerosene as it is a bit oily and does not dry off completely. Brushes should not be worn down too much or on an angle and should slide under spring tension nicely in their holders. The commutator on the armature should be true and even and clean. If it is worn then it would need to be turned in a lathe. Likewise the bushes should not be worn out of round and should be replaced if needed. Regards. Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 09:00 AM   #9
JT FORD

Not sure about your year of car, but my '49 - '50's starter button has to have a ground to work. If the back side of the dash is rusty it will sometimes do nothing when pushed. Remove the button and emery cloth the dash to get a good ground.......
JT FORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 09:44 AM   #10
FrankWest

Thanks, excellent suggestions. I will look for any loose or dirty contacts and let you know what I find.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:52 PM   #11
chap52

So feeling good about surviving past starter issues myself I posted my above reply. (#4) To keep me humble this morning my trucks starter Bendix decided to give up the ghost. Being stuck brought back old memories.
I was on a slight slope and pushed it fast enough to pop the clutch and get it started.
I am sure that all those onlookers sitting in their air conditioned cars enjoyed the show more than they appeared to. The old man (72) pushing a truck by himself, and then driving away had to be at the very least entertaining. Made it home fine. I have a new bendix in my parts box.
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 04:27 PM   #12
FrankWest

I have a NOS starter switch.....Can't help thinking that maybe this switch/contacts are bad.
Have these switches known to have such problems? They don't look like they could be taken apart and cleaned, metal sides crimped together? I guess when one is failing it has to be replaced?
I am going to bypass the switch to see if it starts every time. If it does then I will know the switch is going bad. Seems too simple..but at least see what happens.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg switch.jpg (10.0 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by FrankWest; 07-21-2018 at 05:14 PM.
Old 07-21-2018, 05:45 PM   #13
Jack E/NJ

>>>I am going to bypass the switch to see if it starts every time.>>>

That's the way! This seems to be the part no. 86531629 for a similar foot switch that you have pictured. I got a new one from dbelectrical a few years ago for a tractor. They're out of stock now but a few other places have them or similar for less than $20. Jack E/NJ
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 05:55 PM   #14
FrankWest

I usually like NOS but maybe for electrical pieces the contacts could have been sitting on a shelf corroding for 60 years.
Old 07-21-2018, 06:51 PM   #15
34fordy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWest View Post
I have a NOS starter switch.....Can't help thinking that maybe this switch/contacts are bad.
Have these switches known to have such problems? They don't look like they could be taken apart and cleaned, metal sides crimped together? I guess when one is failing it has to be replaced?
I am going to bypass the switch to see if it starts every time. If it does then I will know the switch is going bad. Seems too simple..but at least see what happens.
You can take that apart, check for wear, clean, repair if need be, and recrimp very easily with minimal tools--
34fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 06:55 PM   #16
FrankWest

battery was fully charged. Terminals and cables cleaned. starter switch is working fine.
still have the starting problem. One thing I notice, is that the more I run the car, the more I start it, the better the started seems to turn on..Sometimes I have to push the starter button 4 or 5 times to get the starter to activate. I suspect that my start may need cleaning and rebuilding. Can I use rebuilding supplies for a model A starter for my model B starter? I can't seem to find rebuilding supplies for a 1933 model B starter.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:02 PM   #17
Jack E/NJ

>>>the more I start it, the better the starte[r] seems to turn on.>>>

The solution seems obvious to me Frank. 8^) Jack E/NJ
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 05:47 AM   #18
FrankWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack E/NJ View Post
>>>the more I start it, the better the starte[r] seems to turn on.>>>

The solution seems obvious to me Frank. 8^) Jack E/NJ
You guys from Jersey are so intelligent, I don't know how we could get along without you?