Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-04-2020, 04:24 AM   #21
shew01

Default Taking the plunge into Model A ownership!

Here is another link to a different chapter list.

https://model-a-ford.org/regions/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by shew01; 08-04-2020 at 05:12 AM.
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 03:31 AM   #22
ronn

Default Re: Taking the plunge into Model A ownership!

here is an example of one on the swap here- I know it is in Cali, but look at the price 6900. and compare. the owner is willing to help with shipping

1929 Ford Model A Sedan
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 07:40 AM   #23
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
here is an example of one on the swap here- I know it is in Cali, but look at the price 6900. and compare. the owner is willing to help with shipping

1929 Ford Model A Sedan

Does not open.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 06:52 AM   #24
ronn

1929 Ford Model A Sedan

LISTED IN SWAP- CANT SEEM TO PASTE
Old 08-06-2020, 12:36 PM   #25
ScriptunasPhoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post

1929 Ford Model A Sedan

Thanks Ronn, sure wish it was closer!
ScriptunasPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 03:12 PM   #26
Mulletwagon

From what I have seen, the price is about right for what you are getting. You can typically find a turn-key driver for $12 - 14K. There is an occasional better deal but not usually near by. Would recommend avoiding the "barn find" since they are usually about $6K plus but requre big $$ to make them presentable and roadworthy. The most important factor (IMHO) is to ensure the VIN number on the title agrees with a physically visible number on the vehicle - preferably on the engine block. If there is no title or an issue with the VIN be sure you are completely familiar with the laws in your state and check with DMV in advance. Be prepared to pass if securing a title is an issue. In general, no title - SHIELDS UP !!
Mulletwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 03:30 PM   #27
ryanheacox

Fordors are slow movers so you may be able to get it for well under the asking price. That being said, I love mine and I think that body style is one of the most practical for an A. If it’s got new wood and the job was done well, I’d say it’s worth it.
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 03:34 PM   #28
WHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulletwagon View Post
From what I have seen, the price is about right for what you are getting. You can typically find a turn-key driver for $12 - 14K. There is an occasional better deal but not usually near by. Would recommend avoiding the "barn find" since they are usually about $6K plus but requre big $$ to make them presentable and roadworthy. The most important factor (IMHO) is to ensure the VIN number on the title agrees with a physically visible number on the vehicle - preferably on the engine block. If there is no title or an issue with the VIN be sure you are completely familiar with the laws in your state and check with DMV in advance. Be prepared to pass if securing a title is an issue. In general, no title - SHIELDS UP !!
I would just add to this good advise. That there are some states that do not title cars after a certain age. New York and Connecticut as an example. You would only get a bill of sale. Keep looking.

Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 04:21 PM   #29
ronn

The seller on that 29 will "help" with shipping, so dont just look at distance. that car looks very nice for the $ and no, I dont know the fella.
Old 08-07-2020, 02:45 PM   #30
Kevin in NJ

My perspective.

If the wood work and paint work and interior are decent and everything fits well together then it is likely not that bad a deal.

My assumption is that most A's are not restored. They get paint and interior work done and then a mess of 'interesting' rebuilding on the mechanicals. Without proof work was done right you can just assume that the car needs all the mechanicals gone though. I have seen in all price levels of cars. So ya, pass on this car and buy the one for $5000 more and it may be even work mechanically.

My suggestion is to learn how to tell of the body and interior was done right and when you buy assume you will have to have all the working parts properly rebuilt over time.

Price wise, well people are paying $5000 to $10,000 for unrestored cars. You can not even hope to pay less then $10,000 to put the paint and interior on the car if you can do the work yourself. So a car with all the done half decent may not be a bad deal.

FWIW, I know of 2 people who have purchased cars redone by well known A shops. Each person spend over $10k getting the "professionally restored" car reliable and safe to drive.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 09:19 PM   #31
bdtutton

I think the parameter I would look at is WHY you want to be involved with old cars. Are you looking for a project to restore because you love bringing vehicles back to life or do you just want to drive an old car? I have a full time job and a family so it would take me years to restore a car that needed even a moderate amount of work. I realized this when I bought my Model A and decided to buy a car that was mostly restored so I had a little work to do, but could enjoy driving it right away...because I wanted to drive it...not work on it.
....Don't worry, even a good model A requires a ton of work to keep it running well.
bdtutton is offline   Reply With Quote