Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-13-2021, 11:45 PM   #21
Lanny

Default Re: Any help for a new guy?

Also, when checking compression with a tester, make sure the plate
in the carb is held open, so it can suck air into each cylinder in order
to get an accurate compression reading.

If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.
But if daddy ain't happy...RUN
Lanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 12:24 AM   #22
ETAModel

Welcome to the Barn. Remember We were all ONCE the new guy. After lusting for a model A for 20 years I finally have the chance to work on and drive one, even though it isn't mine, (long story).

I don't recall if you checked to see if fuel is getting from tank to carb? The 30 Fordor sat for 18 months with real gas and MMO in the tank, but the carb got gummed up. I drained the tank, cleaned the carb with cheap carb cleaner, charged the battery and she sprung to life.

I had a similar situation on my '56 Farmall. Finding a good condenser was a chore, and NAPA sent me a 12V coil, but swapping them both out fixed my problems.

I know there's times you want to pull out your hair, but when you get it right its a blast making the drag...(do they still do that ?)
ETAModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 10:30 AM   #23
jg61hawk

Intermittent no spark can be one big symptom especially after warming up. Another member posted here to mount one spare condenser on the firewall and use a jumper wire to the passenger side of the coil as soon as you stall to bypass your condenser. Easy check if the condenser is bad.
Put the following in search: Jackson III 2nd Condenser
jg61hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 03:20 PM   #24
Fred K OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneBob View Post
Backfire out the exhaust and black plugs sounds like it is too rich and fouling the plugs. Of course, as some suggested, if the spark is not always as strong as your test showed, you could get the same results. When in doubt, replace the condenser.
When it won't start, pull a plug to see if it is wet. Do you smell raw gas under the hood or out the exhaust pipe?
I would replace the condenser like mentioned and maybe the coil.
Fred K OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 04:38 PM   #25
Garcia

A breakthrough!

My compliments to marty in Ohio, nkaminar, GeneBob, Lanny, ETAModel, jg61hawk, and Fred K OR for suggesting a new condenser. I really appreciate all the comments, but these guys hit the nail on the thumb. I stopped by NAPA today and bought what they call an alternator condenser, part ECH FA82 of the Echlin ignition line for my Nu-Rex distributor plate. After I installed it, the car started right up. I drove it down the alley and back without problems.

I don’t mind saying that I was about to take out an ad in Hemmings and just wash my hands of this problem. I got this car expecting to drive around, do minor maintenance, and keep things shiny and clean. Instead, I have had six weeks worth of pain and frustration. I really hope this takes care of the major problems for a while. I can get back on the horse, but it's going to take a while before I have sufficient confidence to do more than drive around the block.

Again, thanks for all the help.
Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 07:29 PM   #26
jg61hawk

But on the other hand....6 weeks without posting here, in 3 days you were good to go after posting.(we hope). Relax and enjoy it, carry some parts and post here. I too went slow at first gaining confidence but eventually drove 500 miles round trip to Gettysburg and loved it. It's not a plane, you can pull over!

THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE FOLLOW UP THAT'S IMPORTANT HERE, folks put in a lot time and effort it's good to hear what works and doesn't work. Especially when I'm right!!!
jg61hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 11:34 PM   #27
GeneBob

Thanks for the follow up, it is great to hear when the suggestions help someone. That is what the fellowship of Model A's is about.
BTW, something for you to do a quick check on. Check your fan blade. You can search on the forum to see if your blade should be replaced. Better to replace it if it is suspect because a broken fan blade will ruin your day.
GeneBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 05:26 AM   #28
shew01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia View Post
A breakthrough!

My compliments to marty in Ohio, nkaminar, GeneBob, Lanny, ETAModel, jg61hawk, and Fred K OR for suggesting a new condenser. I really appreciate all the comments, but these guys hit the nail on the thumb. I stopped by NAPA today and bought what they call an alternator condenser, part ECH FA82 of the Echlin ignition line for my Nu-Rex distributor plate. After I installed it, the car started right up. I drove it down the alley and back without problems.

I don’t mind saying that I was about to take out an ad in Hemmings and just wash my hands of this problem. I got this car expecting to drive around, do minor maintenance, and keep things shiny and clean. Instead, I have had six weeks worth of pain and frustration. I really hope this takes care of the major problems for a while. I can get back on the horse, but it's going to take a while before I have sufficient confidence to do more than drive around the block.

Again, thanks for all the help.

Did you buy an extra condenser to carry as a spare?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 05:39 AM   #29
mhsprecher

Which Les Andrews book were you referring to the red book or the blue book? Both are essential. The blue book as more troubleshooting and diagnostics.

They do get frustrating sometimes, but they are pretty simple to figure out. It also helps to post here, as you have done, and to have a fellow Model A person with you when working on the car to provide another perspective.
1939 Deluxe Fordor
1945 pickup
1951 Custom convertible
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 06:00 AM   #30
nkaminar

Warning: Technical Discussion

It has been many decades since I took my electrical theory class in collage but here is what I remember. The coil and the condenser work together to form a tuned LC circuit. LC stands for inductance and capacitance. It is like a spring and a weight or the pendulum in a clock. The coil charges up then discharges into the condenser which then discharges back into the coil. This creates multiple sparks in the spark plug that happen in a fraction of a second. It looks like one spark to our eyes. Without the condenser you may get a weak spark but not enough to run the engine.

Class dismissed.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 09:26 AM   #31
Garcia

I spoke (typed) too soon.

With my new condenser, I put the wife in the car and headed down the road. I got about 500 yards away from the house and the engine sputtered out. It turns out that with gas actually being used by the engine, lots was coming from the tank, and lots of long-ignored sediment was coming with it, plugging the fuel filter. We pushed it about 300 yards and then I walked home for tools and supplies to fix it. It turns out I didn't have what I needed, so we pushed it the rest of the way home.

The pushing was no fun, but the sediment in the clear plastic fuel filter made it obvious what the problem was, so I didn't feel as bad as I had with the previous problems. I have learned, though, to keep a toolbox with some spare parts in the floor space of the rumble seat for problems like this. Probably both Andrews books, too.

As jg61hawk pointed out, six weeks of stumbling around on my own wasn't as good as three days on the forum. Thanks, guys.
Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 10:25 AM   #32
katy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia View Post
Is there anybody in the Spokane area who might be able to help me out?
Check out Antique Auto Ranch, 2225 N Dollar Road, Spokane Valley. They're a great bunch.
Old 06-15-2021, 03:26 PM   #33
Doug Linden

There are a lot of
model a members in your area. I would contact the local club and see if you could get some local help to make a house call. The Inland Empire A's is the local club and if you visit the MAFCA website you can get the contact information.
https://www.mafca.com/chapters/WA.html
Doug Linden is offline   Reply With Quote