Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-04-2017, 03:51 PM   #1
California Charlie

Unhappy Labor Day Pain in the Rear End

Hi Guys, Once looking for some answers to me being stumped once again with trying to make progress on my 1931 Model A Ford. Making one step forward and two steps backward.

Here's what's going on. I'm reassembling the rear end differential. Went through the Pre-Load process, etc.

When I install both left and right axle housings to the center housing, and torque the bolts to 35in pounds, the left axle freewheels and appears not attached to the driveshaft.

When I separate the right axle housing from the center housing, leaving the left housing still attached, the left axle then appears firmly connected to the driveshaft gearing. When I spin the driveshaft the left axle then turns.

Then when I re-tighten the right axle housing to the center housing, the left axle once again appears to detach from the driveshaft and freewheels.

I can't figure out what is happening with this assembly process to create the issue I'm having. Any thoughts from anyone.

I have every restoration book under the sun, but can't seem to find this situation in any of them.

Thanks very much for anyone's input to resolving this matter.

California Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 05:21 PM   #2
RawhideKid
BANNED

Default Re: Labor Day Pain in the Rear End

*whew* Ok, I think I know what you are experiencing, though Tom Endy would better describe the fix.

If you have shims on one side of the banjo, take a shim from the loose side and move it to the tight side. Continue until you have equal resistance on both sides.
Old 09-04-2017, 05:50 PM   #3
Bob C

When the left axle is freewheeling is the right axle turning in the opposite direction?

Bob
Bob C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 06:00 PM   #4
California Charlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
When the left axle is freewheeling is the right axle turning in the opposite direction?

Bob
Yes Bob, That's exactly what happens. I have the smallest of gaskets on both banjo ends which appears to take care of the Pre-Load.
Old 09-04-2017, 07:01 PM   #5
Bob C

That's how it's suppose to work.

Bob
Old 09-04-2017, 07:12 PM   #6
Mikeinnj

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by California Charlie View Post
Hi Guys, Once looking for some answers to me being stumped once again with trying to make progress on my 1931 Model A Ford. Making one step forward and two steps backward.

Here's what's going on. I'm reassembling the rear end differential. Went through the Pre-Load process, etc.

When I install both left and right axle housings to the center housing, and torque the bolts to 35in pounds, the left axle freewheels and appears not attached to the driveshaft.

When I separate the right axle housing from the center housing, leaving the left housing still attached, the left axle then appears firmly connected to the driveshaft gearing. When I spin the driveshaft the left axle then turns.

Then when I re-tighten the right axle housing to the center housing, the left axle once again appears to detach from the driveshaft and freewheels.

I can't figure out what is happening with this assembly process to create the issue I'm having. Any thoughts from anyone.

I have every restoration book under the sun, but can't seem to find this situation in any of them.

Thanks very much for anyone's input to resolving this matter.

Torque on the banjo bolts should be 35 foot pounds, not inch pounds. But this has nothing to do with the question.... RESPONSE # 5 IS CORRECT.
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 07:23 PM   #7
California Charlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeinnj View Post
Torque on the banjo bolts should be 35 foot pounds, not inch pounds. But this has nothing to do with the question.... RESPONSE # 5 IS CORRECT.
Thanks. You're correct, it was my mistake to say inch pounds when I did appropriately torque the bolts to 35 foot pounds. So that is the way the differential works?
Thanks again for everyone's input.
Old 09-04-2017, 07:32 PM   #8
California Charlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Charlie View Post
Thanks. You're correct, it was my mistake to say inch pounds when I did appropriately torque the bolts to 35 foot pounds. So that is the way the differential works?
Thanks again for everyone's input.
I don't fully understand the workings of the differential. If when the rear differential is all together, and the left axle appears to be disconnected from the driveshaft and spins freely, then how does the driveshaft connect to turn the rear wheels? Just doesn't make sense to me being a backyard mechanic.
Old 09-04-2017, 07:43 PM   #9
Bob C

Watch this video on how a differential works.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOgoejxzF8c

Bob
Old 09-04-2017, 08:22 PM   #10
California Charlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
Watch this video on how a differential works.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOgoejxzF8c

Bob
Thanks very much. I found that video, as well as a couple of others, very helpful.
Old 09-05-2017, 09:51 AM   #11
100IH

Pre-load is checked with the carrier and axle housings assembled but without the axles. A special tool is used to turn the carrier while reading the pre-load on the carrier bearings. the reading here is in inch pounds, not foot pounds. It is a long process. Also, the pinion gear is not installed during this process.
100IH is offline   Reply With Quote