Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-30-2017, 09:57 PM   #1
California Charlie

Default Pain in the Rear -- Axle

Just getting into the back end of my car project and now working on the rear axle. Good Grief Charlie Brown. I removed the rear spring taking my life in my hands using a single axle spreader which shot across my garage during the spring removal process, wheels, drums, backing plates etc. are all removed. Now I have both axles sticking out from the right and left axle housings and have a couple of questions:

1. Will both right and left axle housings now just pull away from the center section of the axle once I remove the bolts from the center section of the axle? Is anything unexpected going to fall apart as I pull the axle housings away from the center of the axle?

2. I currently have a little up and down, side to side, movement in the threaded axle as it protrudes past the axle housing. Is this acceptable, or is there a problem I have to deal with? Should I have absolutely no side to side or up and down slight movement?

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

California Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 10:09 PM   #2
harleynut

Default Re: Pain in the Rear -- Axle

Charlie, Google Santa Anita As web site. Tom Endy has a wealth of information on it including the rear end
harleynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 10:13 PM   #3
1955cj5

I only pulled the left side off as I was repairing an oil leak....The housing slid right off after removing the bolts securing it to the banjo...

Here are some great articles on rebuilding the rear end...left side, scroll down.

http://www.santaanitaas.org/technica...tech-articles/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1090309.JPG (149.7 KB, 57 views)
Old 05-30-2017, 10:19 PM   #4
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Charlie View Post

2. I currently have a little up and down, side to side, movement in the threaded axle as it protrudes past the axle housing. Is this acceptable, or is there a problem I have to deal with? Should I have absolutely no side to side or up and down slight movement?

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

That is normal. The end of the axle is actually located by the brake drum and bearing in the drum. Once the drum is removed, the axle is free to move as you describe.

Good luck on your project.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 05-31-2017 at 12:36 AM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 10:25 PM   #5
California Charlie

Thanks very much guys for directing me to the Santa Anita "A"s Web Site.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:32 PM   #6
California Charlie

Thanks Y-Blockhead. Your 1 cents worth of information made my day! I was concerned that I was going to have to deal with a bigger problem. Sleeves rolled up to proceed further with tackling this part of my project.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:32 PM   #7
Charlie Stephens

One thing to remember is that the gaskets between the axle housings and the center section are actually shims to adjust the rear end. If your gears and wear pattern are OK you might just want to put it back together using the same thickness gaskets so keep track of them.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 08:36 AM   #8
john in illinois

I would also recommend using BEST brand gasket set. They are much better than the paper gaskets.

http://www.bestgasket.com/dt_pop_up_...rtNumber=10195

John
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 09:26 AM   #9
Growley bear

It has been my experience with the Model A and other autos equipped with a rear axel having a separate hub installed with a key and a taper that the hub is usually loose.
When installing the hub onto the axel, assuming the mating surfaces are in good condition I torque the axel nut, temporarily install a 16p nail into the castellation and bend just enough so it won't fall out while driving. I then drive around the block and recheck the torque setting. This can be done on the road as the emergency brake will supply more than enough holding force. I then drive the car a little more. This needs to be done until the torque remains constant.
Much like a head gasket this is a process that if done properly by a patient mechanic is time well spent.
Growley bear is offline   Reply With Quote