Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-05-2010, 04:03 AM   #1
Mike in Mass

Default what your dad says!

I took a ride with my dad, to an old car get together last night,in is 35 roadster. Top down ,flyin down the highway. When I got in I noticed he washed it and I remarked to him WOW ,,Washed and Polished !!to which he replied 'I only like to wash and polish one thing ",my you know what,, . All righty pop ,simmer down , I,ts little sayins like this that I have heard my entire life ,and as we cruised down the highway I thought to myself a few more of his quotible quotes ,,"Your gonna be dead,for millions and millions of years,,alive for a blink of an eye ,SO LIVE IT UP" ! As we stood around and shot the breeze with a few of the other guys at the gathering I heard another " It,s alot better on this side of the grass ,than the other !" So lets here some of your dads quotes ,,,maybe I,ll learn somthin more about life. Which reminds me of another one I heard growing up ,,mouth shut ,,brain open ! M in M

Last edited by Mike in Mass; 08-05-2010 at 03:14 PM.
Mike in Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 05:57 AM   #2
36 ford

Default Re: what your dad says!

My dad was "larger than life" as the saying goes and I didn't really know what that meant until he was gone and I was told stories about his work ethic, his kindness towards others. He was a young man during the depression and had to learn to take care of himself and was told to go live with the grandparents because there wasn't enough food to for him and his siblings. It was these trials of life that made him "larger than life" and his response to them spoken to me was "Thatsa life". He became a very successful business owner, gunsmith, gun collector and could figure out how to do just about anything if he studied it long enough and when he did, it was done right. Problem was no one could do anything for him because it never met his standard. He's been gone now for 8 years and I miss him and his wisdom greatly.

Phil
Chambersburg, PA
36 ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 06:09 AM   #3
oldbugger

Even a jackass don't make the same mistake twice! Where is my vicegrip! What were you thinking? There was nothing he could not fix. Thanks for the memories.
oldbugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 06:14 AM   #4
Henry/Kokomo

Dad told me, a typically noisy kid, that I had two eyes and two ears but only one mouth. Therefore, I should listen and observe 4 times more than I spoke. He advised that if I did so, I'd learn a lot more than if I talked too much. As usual, he was right. He's been gone since '92 and I still find myself missing his counsel.
Henry/Kokomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 06:16 AM   #5
Ken Crans

I miss my old man even though he was a SOB sometimes, but i feel i am walking down the right road of life. I used to sit by his side and learn every thing i could. He was a jack of all trades. Even though we argued i would still absorb all that knowledge. He's been gone for 20 years and i sure do miss him. Ken
Ken Crans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 06:16 AM   #6
oldbugger

Forgot to mention it but my avatar was his first car.
oldbugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:08 AM   #7
av8paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Mass View Post
I took a ride with my dad, to an old car get together last night,in is 35 roadster. Top down ,flyin down the highway. When I got in I noticed he washed it and I remarked to him WOW ,,Washed and Polished !! 'I only like to wash and polish one thing ",my you know what,,he said . All righy pop ,simmer down , I,ts little sayins like this that I have heard my entire life ,and as we cruised down the highway I thought to myself a few more of his quotible quotes ,,"Your gonna be dead,for millions and millions of years,,alive for a blink of an eye ,SO LIVE IT UP" ! As we stood around and shot the breeze with a few of the other guys at the gathering I heard another " It,s alot better on this side of the grass ,than the other !" So lets here some of your dads quotes ,,,maybe I,ll learn somthin more about life. Which reminds me of another one I heard groing up ,,mouth shut ,,brain open ! M in M
Mike, it was good seeing you and your dad last night at the BBC. He's a treasure. That was the best showing of old hot rods in a few years. Wish we got together twice a month. Hope Charlie brings the '35 coupe next month...no excuses.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:41 AM   #8
Cecil/WV

My grandfather said"they say" are damn liars.
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:03 AM   #9
Uncle Bob

An old boss had one I'll always remember: said in a gruff voice, "Hindsight is 20/20. If you had an eye in your arse you'd be perfect!"
Old 08-05-2010, 05:16 PM   #10
flathead4rd

How about: "I'm not circling the drain yet".
flathead4rd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 06:49 PM   #11
hotrod8

dont remember who said this , wasnt my dad .he passed away when i was 5.anyway,,, they said .son there are two things in life that are going to coat you a lot of money ,, one has tires , the other has tits !!!!!!!!!!! man was that an understatement !!!!!!!!!!
hotrod8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:21 PM   #12
IVT1

At least some of you guys listened to your dads, when my boys turned 18 they already knew everything and didn't need to pay any attention to me.
Don't believe that? you could have just asked them & they would tell you.Now they have teenagers of thier own. I always said I hope you each have at least (1)one just like you.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:38 PM   #13
Bill in Al

I just quoted my dad in another post: Buy the best,in the long run it'll cost you less.Lost him 10 years ago and in 2012 he'd be a hundred.
Bill in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 12:30 AM   #14
Brian

My old man HATES Ford V8's,always has. To this day has never ridden in my 35, which I've owned since 1971, nor any other Ford. He reckons they are hoods machines! Funny thing is his wedding car was a 46-48 Mercury.

Always told me to get a haircut! Now he comments on my grey hair! And he's always been bald!

When I was 18 I thought I did know more than him, now I'm convinced I know more!

This is not intended to be disrespectful, but I really admire you guys that share[d] loving close relationships with your father.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 04:18 AM   #15
36 ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
My old man HATES Ford V8's,always has. To this day has never ridden in my 35, which I've owned since 1971, nor any other Ford. He reckons they are hoods machines! Funny thing is his wedding car was a 46-48 Mercury.

Always told me to get a haircut! Now he comments on my grey hair! And he's always been bald!

When I was 18 I thought I did know more than him, now I'm convinced I know more!

This is not intended to be disrespectful, but I really admire you guys that share[d] loving close relationships with your father.
Brian,

I hope your dad realizes soon what he's been missing all these years. I couldn't help but feel a tinge of sadness reading your story. My dad was an amazing man but I hardly knew him because his generation just "stuffed" their emotions. He was doing what he learned from his parents so I can't blame him.

Phil
36 ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:47 AM   #16
Mike B

My Dad had so many quips, one that pops to mind right now...

An inch more I'id be a King, an inch less I'd be a Queen.
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 07:34 AM   #17
al pa.

IVT1 reminded me of a quote posted in the kitchen of the Linhart Italian club,by a cousin, Vic Dinzeo,who employed high school students part time there.It said"kids,leave home now,while you still know it all".
al pa. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:21 AM   #18
HOTRODPRIMER

My dad and grandad have been gone quite a few years but they left me with a few words of wisdom..

"Pine tree bark never taste bitter to a hungry squirrel."

"Sh#t in one hand and wish in the other and see which one fills up the fastest",,,This I learned from my grandad and I have used on my kids in the past.

"When you see the light at the end of the tunnel,,beware,,it could be another train."

"Do you think money grows on trees?"

HRP
Old 08-06-2010, 08:45 PM   #19
BrianCT

How about - 1 boy is worth a half a man and two boys together are worthless.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:21 PM   #20
raceron1120

"the snow is a**hole deep to a tall (or short) --------- (ethnic expletive)"

"Franklin Roosevelt was a crook" (guess that's why I'm a Republican...)

"The last Chevy I bought (in 1937) is why I drive Fords" All who knew dad remember his story about the new '37 Chevy pickup he bought and had nothing but problems with it. And that was AFTER he owned 2 Plymouths - it must've been bad!
raceron1120 is offline   Reply With Quote