Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-30-2019, 03:06 PM   #1
51woodie

Default Fuel Level Gauge Problem

It all started when I got my dash gauges working, and found the fuel gauge to be inaccurate. A full tank was showing 3/4 full, and empty still had about 5 gallons in the tank. I tested the volts at the tank, "shorted" the gauge lead at the tank, and the gauge reads full range. I pulled the sender unit, and what I found was not pretty. The PO used some sort of rubber gasket, which had partially dissolved with pieces falling into the tank. Fished those out. As well, I found the sender must be aftermarket because of the plastic float. That is the next issue, as the float is 1/2 full of some type of fluid. I thought it may be leaking and gas had got in. I squeezed the float, and cannot find a leak. I may be a silly question, but are they made this way? The other thing is that the float arm is too long in my opinion, which means the float will hit the top or bottom of the tank, but will only travel about 3/4 of the range between the top and bottom stops on the sender. Ideally I would like to have a NOS sender if one was available at a reasonable price, but:

Any suggestions on "adjusting" the float arm to get full range of travel?
Is the float prefilled? If not, can I drill drain and reseal?
Is a cork gasket appropriate for mounting the sender?

Last edited by 51woodie; 07-30-2019 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Can't add pictures
51woodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 03:23 PM   #2
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed
Default Re: Fuel Level Gauge Problem

I would say gas has got in it ,if nothing available try a Model A float and solder the arm the length you want ,or use a electrical wire joiner adjust it until your happy ,

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 03:30 PM   #3
51woodie

I forgot to ask the orientation of the sender arm when installed. I assume it would be sideways in the tank?
Old 07-30-2019, 03:47 PM   #4
marko39

The float should be dry. I have seen brass ones for sale so get one of those. On some aftermarket units the float arm needs to be cut to give you full range.
marko39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 04:50 PM   #5
my4dv8

Had an after market sender in our 32 , gauge was reading empty . Finally traced the issue to the float doing what it does best, Just booking around free. The little clip had come off allowing the plastic float to come off the cheap sender.
my4dv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 06:21 AM   #6
51woodie

I finally got the sender working correctly, if even temporarily. First, the fluid in the plastic float. I could not get any fluid out of it, no matter how hard I squeezed, so I drilled a .020" hole in the end to drain the fluid. I drained it by squeezing, and the fluid did smell like gas. I used a small soldering iron to seal the hole. Next was the length of the float arm which was too long. Bending a Z shape in the rod did the trick, giving the correct range of travel in the tank. I got erratic readings when I checked the ohms output for full and empty. I removed the side cover on the sender and found the very thin "spring" that holds the contact against the resistance wire was bent. A little surgery and it is back in the right place, giving the correct reading. I will purchase a new sender, as I don't think my fix will be reliable. Any suggestion on the best unit/supplier? Is NOS available?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fuel Gauge Sender Inside.jpg (42.3 KB, 45 views)
Old 08-04-2019, 05:24 AM   #7
big job

NOS is the way to go. Senders sold now need a little tweeking. I measure the bottom
to the top of the tank then measure the float drop and bend the float so its 2 inches or
so from the bottom (thats my reserve). With a ground jumper and gage wire hooked up
pick up the float and the gauge should read a little above the F mark. Most have driven
vehicles that when the gauge shows E you walk. My first car a 58 Mercury would still
run many miles when the gauge read past Empty. Thats what I strive for, of course I
don't do that no more at my age 1/2 tank I fill it up. And remember, always add a ground
wire whether it's a steel or new plastic tank because plastic tanks have no ground and
steel tanks depend on the straps for ground even the fuel line which by now that ground
is a little iffy. sam
big job is offline   Reply With Quote