Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-24-2024, 04:24 PM   #1
Krylon32

Default 32 Ford Female Dovetails.

Me again. I'm probably expecting to much. When I got the 32 pickup the male and female dove tails were showing their age. First I tried Drake male and female dovetails and they worked for a while then the door started to rattle again. I then tried United Pacific male and female dovetails. The males are adjustable and seem more substantial than Drakes. The females seem to be like Drakes. Both manufacturers seem to allow the doors to move up and down after a 1000+ miles causing a rattle. I've moved the strikers in as far as I dare and still have the doors close without slamming them really hard. Did the original dovetails do a better job than the repros?
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 09:09 AM   #2
Karl Wescott

Default Re: 32 Ford Female Dovetails.

Drake and Vintique male dovetails are essentially the same. Flimsy.

Are the male dovetails showing signs of wear or distortion? Are the female dovetails showing signs of wear or "falling apart"? Are the door bumpers fresh and flexible? Is the lower bumper making contact just before the door latches (having to slightly flex the door when latching is the "old school" trick to minimize rattles, that my dad taught me). I think because experiencing only a transitory fix with the dovetails you need to look beyond them for the root cause or causes.
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote