Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-27-2011, 02:49 PM   #1
jcheshire31

Default Engine Builder In Albuquerque New Mexico

I'm getting an engine rebuilt by John Cosper out of Albuquerque, NM (not my decision, my grandpa's) and i've heard alot of good things about him, and alot of bad things as well. (More bad than good) We bought our sedan back in 2007 that had one of John's engines in it. It lasted up until 2010. A total of 17,000 miles in it's short life. For some reason my grandpa insisted on going back to him, which he got the finally say seeing as how i'm 16 and not paying for it. I just wanted to know some of y'alls opinions on him and his work. Thanks for the feedback in advance.
jcheshire31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 03:38 PM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Engine Builder In Albuquerque New Mexico

I've never heard of John, but how was the engine treated that lasted 17,000 miles? How fast was the car driven? What modifications, if any? And how often is the oil changed? Was the car driven on dirt roads?

What's wrong with the engine now, that it needs another rebuild?
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 06:08 PM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

My only personal experience with his engines was a customer from Louisiana that had him do an inserted engine that came apart. The internals of the engine had modifications that were suspect in my opinion. I have a friend that is heavily involved in the local Model A club out there and he says locals will no longer use him either. Like Ward eluded to, 'confidence' is a huge factor in owning a Model A. As someone put it once there are always 3 sides to a story, the Rebuilder's side of the story, the Car Owner's side of the story, ...and the TRUTH. If Grandpa has confidence in Pete's then I would put all the hearsay out of your mind and enjoy it as-is. Lack of confidence will make your experiences less than what they should be so go have fun and if it does go bad, it really isn't the end of the world, is it??

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 06:39 PM   #4
Gerard

Brent , very wisely spoken
Gerard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:10 PM   #5
jcheshire31

The car sat for about 5 years before we bought it. From what i'm told the oil was changed every 1000 miles. We even changed it before we drove it home. We live in Dallas, Texas so it was rarely driven on a dirt road. We had a 7.0:1 aluminum head, weber carb, modern valves, counterweighted A crank, inserted, lightened flywheel and v8 clutch, mallory ignition. I never saw that car go over 50mph myself. I know the previous owner toured alot with it in the 90's, driving it as far as Florida. The engine was rebuilt in 1990.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:33 PM   #6
John S

Is this the same motor that had the head gasket trouble last year?
John S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:51 PM   #7
jcheshire31

No. That was the back-up motor.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:26 AM   #8
modelAtony

I had inserted engine done by pete's son john cosper in 2007, got in car in 2008 and have been very happy, have 40,000 mile now. 31 tudor with cam, 5.9 brum, mitchell, weber, 3.27 gears. 65 hp @ 2900 top end 96 mph. Normall running on interstate 60-64 mph avg 22 mpg. also have had this on dyno. I belong to the mafca chapter in Baton Rouge la known as the RED STICKS. as far as I know I am the only person in louisiana with inserted engine from Pete's and I am very happy with mine Have fun modelAtony lafayette,la
modelAtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:23 PM   #9
Herb Concord Ca

A club member had 2 motors rebuilt by Pete's. The first one is about 10 years old and still runs good put in a 2 door, the other is about 8 years old and in a roadster it also runs good.
Also about 8 years ago Pete's saved a club members coast to coast trip, buy replacing the valve guides and valves in a 2 month old rebuilt engine(done by someone else).
I would have no problem having Pete's rebuild an engine for me, beats the rebuilder in central CA.
Herb Concord Ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:40 PM   #10
gcessac

John Cosper has rebuilt four engines for the Poco Quatro club members in Albuquerque this past year. All are happy with the results. John uses new pistons, connecting rods, valves and valve guides and inserts for mains and connecting rods. He pressure tests and magniflux the blocks for cracks. As far as I am concerned, he produces a great product.
gcessac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:27 PM   #11
jcheshire31

Still waiting on that engine by the way. Sent it out June 21st. Was told it would be done by the end of August, then September, then October, etc.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:40 PM   #12
Logan

Havent heard very many "good" comments on John. He is always late on his work, and i can think of 5 engines right now off the top of my head that he built, that ended up being junk. Some people swear by his motors, but i for one have seen to many horror stories to even think about going to him. When you speak of an Albuquerque motor around texas, people usually cringe a little bit.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:57 PM   #13
azmodela
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Havent heard very many "good" comments on John. He is always late on his work, and i can think of 5 engines right now off the top of my head that he built, that ended up being junk. Some people swear by his motors, but i for one have seen to many horror stories to even think about going to him. When you speak of an Albuquerque motor around texas, people usually cringe a little bit.
That's a strong statement to make for someone you've likely never met or dealt with. What's your experience with the supposed "five junk engines" that he built? Do you know the owner's driving habits, maintenance habits, car setup and so forth? How did they fail? Builder fault, part manufacture fault, or driver fault?

Back up you're demeaning statements if you're prepared to make them.
azmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:47 PM   #14
Logan

Quote:
Originally Posted by azmodela View Post
That's a strong statement to make for someone you've likely never met or dealt with. What's your experience with the supposed "five junk engines" that he built? Do you know the owner's driving habits, maintenance habits, car setup and so forth? How did they fail? Builder fault, part manufacture fault, or driver fault?

Back up you're demeaning statements if you're prepared to make them.
all had to do with the machine work that was done on them. The last one blew up in 500 miles. When i say blew up i mean oil pouring out of the rear main, knocking, and it barely made it home. Like james says he promises deadlines of when the engines will be done, and it maybe be 6-7 months after the original deadline that he gets it done. That last motor that i know of that blew up, it took right at a year to get it done. it was suppose to take 3 months, and he makes up some lame excuses as to why he doesnt finish them. Ive talked to james, and his motors been sitting there waiting on a timing gear to come in for several months... It should take 4 to 5 days max to get a timing gear.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:48 PM   #15
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Concord Ca View Post
A club member had 2 motors rebuilt by Pete's. The first one is about 10 years old and still runs good put in a 2 door, the other is about 8 years old and in a roadster it also runs good.
Also about 8 years ago Pete's saved a club members coast to coast trip, buy replacing the valve guides and valves in a 2 month old rebuilt engine(done by someone else).
I would have no problem having Pete's rebuild an engine for me, beats the rebuilder in central CA.
Herb,
'rebuilder in central CA'... what town/city would that rebuilder be located in ?
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:04 AM   #16
jcheshire31

I called him about a couple months ago and he said he was just waiting on a timing gear and I don't think i've ever met an engine builder who doesn't keep parts in stock. Then I called him about 3 weeks ago to check up on it, and amazingly the crank was all of the sudden at the grinders. I guess it gets pretty tough to keep up with all of your lies. I'm a pretty laid back guy, so not a lot of things tick me off, but if you're not going to do something then just tell me. Don't give me the run around. Be straight up with me. We paid him the other half of the money to do it two months ago expecting to have it two months ago. I have 3k sitting in his pocket and nothing to show for it. I've almost built up the nerve to order a timing gear from Snyders and send it too him myself. Jmho
Old 01-24-2012, 06:10 AM   #17
James Rogers

I understand paying half up front, that's a confidence thing but, never,never, pay in full till you receive the product. That is a customer problem. I get 50% to start most times but never ask for any more till I am finished. I have relied on this policy for 40 years and it has served me and my customers well for all these many years.

Last edited by James Rogers; 01-24-2012 at 06:11 AM. Reason: expression
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:18 AM   #18
James Rogers

Seven months is a long time. I tell my customers 1 1/2 months but most times I get it out sooner. I can't make any money if I don't get the work out but, I don't get paid till I am done.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:37 AM   #19
azmodela
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
all had to do with the machine work that was done on them. The last one blew up in 500 miles. When i say blew up i mean oil pouring out of the rear main, knocking, and it barely made it home. Like james says he promises deadlines of when the engines will be done, and it maybe be 6-7 months after the original deadline that he gets it done. That last motor that i know of that blew up, it took right at a year to get it done. it was suppose to take 3 months, and he makes up some lame excuses as to why he doesnt finish them. Ive talked to james, and his motors been sitting there waiting on a timing gear to come in for several months... It should take 4 to 5 days max to get a timing gear.
That still doesn't answer the question. What machine work made it fail? Just because it "blew up and barely made it home" doesn't mean it's the builders fault.

The length of time it takes to rebuild and promise the engine has nothing to do with the failure.

It's quite possible that he could be waiting on a part for months. Most Model A parts are not produced on a regular basis, but rather in batches as the supply dwindles. That might only be once or twice a year. Once the part manufacturer calls in the order to the foundry to pour more parts, they're in line with everyone else that has an order through that foundry. It can take awhile. Remember Larry Brumfield and his heads? Everyone got mad at him because he only made the heads a couple of times a year, and you had to wait until he made and machined them again.
azmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:49 PM   #20
Jordan

I simply wouldn't send an engine there because of the time it takes him to build a motor. He'll tell you 3 months is all it'll take--- then 6 months will role around and he'll have it done by the end of that month---then next thing you know it'll be 8 months & still not done. I've heard of several motors failing that he has built, and also heard of several that have lasted a long time. But why send a motor there and wait a year for it to be built when you can order one from skokie and it'll be here next week?