Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-10-2014, 08:09 PM   #1
jim galli

Default Question about 1938 Temp Gauge

So I read up on using the capillary tube from a donor gauge, putting it in ice slurry with salt to keep the ether in the bulb, blah blah blah and figured I could accomplish the surgery, but after taking my old gauge out, I don't see any red goo inside the glass tube anymore. This car spent some extremely warm years in a garage in Hemet California. Did the red goop dry up, or escape as vapor? Am I wasting my time on this particular gauge? Good images below.

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com
jim galli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 08:12 PM   #2
deuce lover

Default Re: Question about 1938 Temp Gauge

Wasting your time.Line has been cut.A NOS one is listed in the for sale section by member, gkgeiger.

Last edited by deuce lover; 10-10-2014 at 08:18 PM.
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 08:28 PM   #3
jim galli

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce lover View Post
Wasting your time.Line has been cut.A NOS one is listed in the for sale section by member, gkgeiger.
So on these type, once the line has been cut it's dead? You can't solder on a capillary from another gauge?

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com
jim galli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 08:43 PM   #4
deuce lover

Yes when cut its dead.Williamson's in AR was redoing them and they used to charge $1.75 an inch or something like that so you are better off with a NOS.In recent years the lines that have been repaired and charged - the red dye fades out.That red dye is now outlawed.The repo's sold by the vendors are made in Argentina.The glass tube is slightly smaller in dia and over time the red fades out also.The Temperature Gauge Guy in VT used to redo them but figure at least $250.The Early Ford Store in San Dimas,CA might have a NOS and if so will be over $300.
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 01:48 AM   #5
ford38v8

NOS would be nice, but even that is no guarantee that the gauge is good. NOS is still old and can be dried up also. If the fluid is still fluid, that's the clue that you are on the right track. Don't buy it if you can't verify the fluid. If at a swap meet, the sender bulb in a very hot cup of coffee will verify the integrity of the unit. I'd say hold a match under the sender bulb, but that was the old days when they weren't so valuable. Do that now and the seller would have a heart attack.