Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-04-2018, 05:56 PM   #1
meric42

Default '41 Car Drag Link differences

Being a relatively new '41 Business Coupe owner I have noticed that there are two different drag link configurations. Are they interchangeable? If not then do they require a different pitman arm? The 'bent' end type seem to be commomly available and somewhat cheaper on Ebay. Does anybody know the reason for the difference?

Cheers,

Meric.

Gotta love my '42 Sedan Delivery's - Now that I own the only two in New Zealand

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/album.php?albumid=580
meric42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 07:48 PM   #2
rich b

Default Re: '41 Car Drag Link differences

The one with the sharp offset on the rod end fits a '41 car, others won't, due to the '41 steering arm eye tapering from the top down.
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 10:10 PM   #3
drolston

The front end changed early in the '41 model year, including the spring and axel setup, and the drag link. I have an early model year '41; the one with the three piece front fenders and without the extra chrome pieces on the fenders and over the grill. The drag link is the early configuration, fitting back to 1935, with only a slight bend. There is another drag link listed for only the 1941 model year that has a big offset at the pittman arm end. That is for the later part of the '41 model year only. They are not interchangeable.
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 10:24 PM   #4
meric42

Quote:
Originally Posted by drolston View Post
The front end changed early in the '41 model year, including the spring and axel setup, and the drag link. I have an early model year '41; the one with the three piece front fenders and without the extra chrome pieces on the fenders and over the grill. The drag link is the early configuration, fitting back to 1935, with only a slight bend. There is another drag link listed for only the 1941 model year that has a big offset at the pittman arm end. That is for the later part of the '41 model year only. They are not interchangeable.
Thanks for the info. Mine is what I beleive to be an early production i.e. 3 - piece fenders and oval rear view mirror but it has the fender trim. I won't know which drag link it has for another month or so yet as it is still on the Pacific Ocean on board a container ship travelling to me in New Zealand. I have the later offset drag link that I bought cheap but if I need the other I will just need to source it later Cheers, Meric.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg As Found 19.jpg (113.1 KB, 24 views)

Gotta love my '42 Sedan Delivery's - Now that I own the only two in New Zealand

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/album.php?albumid=580
meric42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 08:24 AM   #5
V8COOPMAN

It should also be noted that this is the situation ('41 Fords with the drag link mounted from the TOP) where you have ROUND BACK spindles like all '37-'40s, except that the drag link hole on the passenger-side spindle is tapered from the top, rather than from the bottom like '37-'40. These won't work on a '37-'40 because it'll cause the drag link to interfere with the wishbone. So, be careful when buying round-back spindles on eBay or at a swap meet. '41s also have a one-year-only wishbone that is about four or five inches longer than a '37-'40 WB. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 08:45 AM   #6
rich b

Quote:
Originally Posted by drolston View Post
Interesting to learn about the early vs late variation; I have only came in contact with the later '41 spindle/drag link set-up. Always something new to learn about these old Fords.
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 06:36 PM   #7
grumppyoldman

My 41 has the drag link mounted from the bottom on both sides with nut on top, pittman arm is the same on passenger side. The spindles are round on both sides, I'll have to do some checking to see if it's early or late model since chrome has been removed. Al
grumppyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 08:40 AM   #8
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumppyoldman View Post
My 41 has the drag link mounted from the bottom on both sides with nut on top, pittman arm is the same on passenger side. The spindles are round on both sides, I'll have to do some checking to see if it's early or late model since chrome has been removed. Al

Sounds like EARLY to me. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:44 AM   #9
corvette8n

Metric: when your car arrives, check the glass for date codes, my '41 has March and April 1941 codes. It was my understanding the 3 piece fenders were used in September of 1940.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote