Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-28-2021, 05:12 PM   #1
Jim Brierley

Default F.a.s.t.

FAST (Ford A Speed Technology) is starting up again. The Central California Group has plans to take over the newsletter/publication. Ron and Carol Mosher sent out postcards telling us of the starting up of FAST. Please send an email to them and tell them of your interest. [email protected] or call them at 661-904-8227 Can't wait to see this happen!!
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 08:20 AM   #2
hop up

Default Re: F.a.s.t.

Thats great to hear and thank you for the info ,great publication
Old 03-01-2021, 08:57 AM   #3
Juggler

Done
Juggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 12:06 PM   #4
Richard in Anaheim CA

MY POSTCARD IS IN THE MAIL.

I hope those of you that were not members or those that quit paying your dues will join me to reinstate this fine club and magazine.

It is clear from reading Fordbarn that most of us modify our cars to some extent. Don't get the idea that this is for only fire breathing, turbocharged, multi carb'd dragsters and lakesters. THIS CLUB AND MAGAZINE IS FOR YOU, AND ME.

Richard
Anaheim CA
Richard in Anaheim CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 01:42 PM   #5
Charlie Stephens

I am emailing the following comments to FAST. I definitely look forward to it being started up again:

"I am happy to hear that FAST is being brought back to life. The original team did an excellent job and I would like to thank them for all of their efforts. I would like to make a few suggestions about the new FAST.

I would like to see digital copies only. I was responsible for distribution the newsletter for the local EFV8 Club for several years in pre Internet days and know how much work and expense is involved. Cost of membership should reflect this.

An event calendar showing upcoming Hill Climbs is probably the most important feature.

I would like to see FAST coordinate the hill climb insurance but the cost of covering events should be paid by the event sponsor.

Technical articles and event write-ups shall be submitted to FAST as word documents and pictures shall be in JPEG format. FAST shall not pay for write-ups.

For Sale and Wanted items shall be accepted without cost in word/JPEG format."

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 03:42 PM   #6
Chris Haynes

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I responded to the post card by E Mail.
Keep the magazines printed. It is a lot easier to pick up a magazine for reference than it is to go in the house and fire up the computer to look something up.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 04:12 PM   #7
johnneilson

It sure would be great to see the "Back Fire" articles and letters again.

Hint hint, wink wink, Mr. Brierley.

John
Old 03-01-2021, 04:21 PM   #8
JOHNCL

this is great news! i joined late, but was able to acquire many back issues to enjoy.
JOHNCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 06:22 PM   #9
Jim Brierley

I think most if not all of Charlie's want-list are going to happen, not sure because I'm not in the doers circle. Printing the mag is a lot more work, nice to have, but how often does the average guy refer to his stack of magazines???
Old 03-01-2021, 06:45 PM   #10
Pete

I am already in but if it becomes digital I am out.

Adjust the subscription rate so it can be a slick again. You have to pay to play.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 12:53 AM   #11
quickchange

Pete, Im with you ,digital will not work why , well local vintage club did it 47 pages once a month , once read gets deleted, one may print off the one page of events coming up rest lost along with paying advertisers ,i want a hard copy to have on the shop counter so customers can read, get excited with whats happening ,maybe even join up , if it costs more so be it but lets have the choice, Lets all get back behind it , Derek in a still warm NZ
quickchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 02:41 AM   #12
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brierley View Post
I think most if not all of Charlie's want-list are going to happen, not sure because I'm not in the doers circle. Printing the mag is a lot more work, nice to have, but how often does the average guy refer to his stack of magazines???
Jim B,
I’ve been advised.... by a member up there.... that IT will be a LETTER, not a mag. To make it doable cost wise and time wise !

Makes sense, as time/cost were reasons for shut down of Mag.

Letter will have the things/sections that we want, but goal is to keep cost and time used, to minimum.
FAST: IM IN !

As we all can imagine, details have to be worked out. Do not know , for sure, but I’d bet Carol/Ron are advising this start up endeavor. Exciting indeed, eh !!
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 11:24 AM   #13
Jim Brierley

Carol will work with the new group on getting all the legal stuff transferred, etc. Ron???
Old 03-02-2021, 03:34 PM   #14
johnneilson

I have no dog in this hunt, I will admit that I let my subscription go due to the content of the magazine. This is not a criticism, of Ron or Carol's work, it is more of My interest in cars and what made sense to me. For instance, technical articles faded away for Hill Climb and Dirt Drag results. As I worked my way further into the hobby, I found that I had to look in other places to find the parts access that I needed. Historical articles were my interest.

All that said, I still am involved in the hobby, I am still interested in the F.A.S.T organization. I will probably not participate in Hill Climbs or Drag racing or showing.

I have been thinking about the news letter/magazine options. For instance, my ARRL mag never makes it into the house, straight to the round file, same for AMA. Why? Because I have no option to opt out, when I need something, I go to the web.

So, I would suggest having a website for F.A.S.T. with annual dues to allow access for the constituency. The monthly updates can be done with same amount of work and with a little fore-sight, the articles can be archived in a searchable database. Advertisers can submit quarterly ads, or annual, or monthly if necessary.

For what it is worth, I did this when racing karts in the mid 2000's, I made two updates per month, no postage, no printing, no maintenance of email database. The Club members annual fees paid enough for the web hosting and proceeds from the races paid for an annual banquet with a ton of advertisers donations. One of the highlights for the younger racers was to see themselves in pictures on the site from the races, easy way to generate interest of viewers.

Just an opinion, but I do agree with Jim, Carol was the brains of the operation, Ron, best under a Model "A".

John
Old 03-02-2021, 03:51 PM   #15
alexiskai

I got a reply back, they said it's going to be a physical newsletter at this stage. I agree, I would be in it exclusively for the tech and classifieds – and they may not get many classifieds with a print model these days.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 08:22 PM   #16
Jim Brierley

F.A.S.T. has a web page, www.hotforhotfours.com Whether the new group will take that over too, is not known to me.
Old 03-05-2021, 04:57 AM   #17
WRA

I’m in!!! Sent my info to Carol and also passed it on to dozens of other enthusiasts.

I like printed materials. Digital just isn’t the same and is very hard to read on phones. I would like to see it eventually get back to where it was before, quarterly magazine and all. I know this would be a premium and the dues should reflect that for those that want printed material.

Certain magazines are gold and the great majority of the technical information is not available on the net.

I have complete collections of the F.A.S.T & SOSS organized in chronological order, I use the index and frequently refer to the material.

Having said that, I’m thankful and very appreciative that folks have stepped up to revive the FAST.
WRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 09:41 AM   #18
WRA

Folk, How are we doing on this. Did they reach their goal? Believe they were looking for 450 interested people to start it back up
WRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 06:11 PM   #19
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRA View Post
Folk, How are we doing on this. Did they reach their goal? Believe they were looking for 450 interested people to start it back up
Good question !
Where do ‘things’ stand on this matter ?
Go or no go ? Anyone have brief update ?
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 11:42 AM   #20
Jim Brierley

Following is info Carol sent me a few weeks ago,

No answer for the folks yet. We still have no one to do a Newsletter. However, we are going to provide hill climb insurance for one more year beginning with the event at Speedway. The only events that are “proposed” (if they get Covid approval) now are Speedway, Santa Margarita, Auburn and Northwood, Iowa.

I’ve been in contact with Rich Johnston and he knows what is going on. If no one steps up after the conclusion of the insurance, I guess that is it for FAST. Out of 550 members who were active as of January, 2020, 370 guys said they were interested in continuing their membership with a Newsletter. BTW, Steve Straw is not our contact person. The group that stepped up is Tim Edwards, David Wheeler and Phil Farber. None of them want to do a Newsletter and as time goes by, they will probably drop out also.