Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-05-2020, 05:29 PM   #1
37 Coupe

Default "600w" trans lube foamy.

I know you usually have a lot of foam in lube oils if you overfill but I did not overfill mine and cannot believe the foam.The entire cae is still foamy after sitting a week. I have been having shifting problems ,grinding into second and third so I have been expiermenting with a couple different shift towers.One seems to be a lot better than the Snyder rebuilt one. I have the thicker oil Meroda coming and mayby it will slow down gears but I do think the stuff Brattons and Snyders sell as 600w is junk if it foams like that and doesn't seem to rejuvenate or settle.Can't be good so hopefully this is my problem with shifting.
Old 06-05-2020, 05:52 PM   #2
ursus

Default Re: "600w" trans lube foamy.

Foam is entrained air and air has none of the properties one looks for in a lubricant, period.
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 06:14 PM   #3
WHN

I do not want to start a, I use you use conversation, but!

I have used for many years in our Model A transmission a 50/50 mix of 600w oil from Mac’s and STP.

This along with a correct idle makes shifting a breeze. It might help that I have been driving Model A’s since 1962, I don’t know.

I know that there our owners out there who will not agree with me. That’s OK.

It has worked for us.

Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 07:27 PM   #4
jb-ob

Not fair for me to comment on either Bratton's or Synder's 600w gear oil as I have no clue how it is created but I have used both. More recently I've been using 140 gear oil from 'Sta-Lube' & 'Lubriplate', as that weight is specified in the early V8 Service Bulletins.

My experimenting with all weight gear oils is because I drive (attempt) a multi-disc clutch which is very non-forgiving, unlike a single disc clutch. A single disc I can 'wind up' much farther with no gear chirping.

After many miles & gear oil changes, it is evident it is the nut behind the shifter. With idle speed correctly set, you still need to take time between gears. Non-syncro, straight cut teeth, & thick gear lube, slow shifting is the nature of the era.

Very different from a close ratio 4 speed Shelby Mustang.

Keep practicing & Enjoy.
jb-ob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 02:22 AM   #5
Ak Sourdough

https://www.mafca.com/tqa_m_lubrication.html
Old 06-06-2020, 06:29 AM   #6
Patrick L.

Yup, it does foam. Thats why I prefer 140 or 250 weight [ I don't see much difference in the two]. When I was a kid we had a barrel of 140 that was used in the transmitters, steering boxes and rear ends.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 07:29 AM   #7
Bob Bidonde

Why not use SAE 140 gear oil that is specifically designed for highly loaded gear sets? I have been using SAE 140 gear oil since the 1960s, and I have no trouble shifting gears. Shifting quietly is all about having a good clutching technique.
Old 06-06-2020, 07:36 AM   #8
eagle

100% Lucas oil stabilizer works VERY well. Smooth as silk.
Old 06-06-2020, 09:06 AM   #9
Patrick L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle View Post
100% Lucas oil stabilizer works VERY well. Smooth as silk.

I know you've been using it for years with apparently no issues. I tried using it and it was un-shiftable.
Old 06-06-2020, 10:41 AM   #10
Jack Shaft
BANNED

Non synchronized transmission with spur cut gears will shift smoothly when the input shaft speed matches the output shaft speed of the gear ratio selected. Oil and idle speed can alter the time it takes for the gear speeds match,but its up to the operator to 'feel' when the speeds are correct.
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 11:16 AM   #11
37 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Shaft View Post
Non synchronized transmission with spur cut gears will shift smoothly when the input shaft speed matches the output shaft speed of the gear ratio selected. Oil and idle speed can alter the time it takes for the gear speeds match,but its up to the operator to 'feel' when the speeds are correct.
I bought my first Model A a 1939 roadster in 1964,I was 18 years old and never actually bought or ever owned a car with an automatic until the eighties. So I have had many V8 Fords from 1937-1946 over the years with the sychros,even my '37 Ford I switched to a '39 transmission when synchros were finally used in Fords,too me the greatest innovation was my dad's 1963 Ford Galaxie with a 390 and a threes speed column shift fully synchronized,you could drop into low gear whilemoving. So I have never had any trouble until this Model A in my 74 years on earth. It presented no problems actually until I farmed out the overhaul on the tower and got a replacement instead of the one sent out. I have my idle down and it still either grinds into second or third or blocks completely into second. I am waiting on the Meropa oil to see if it helps the rebuilt tower. If that doesn't work I will not use the tower at all but I think after a year rebuilder won't want to address this. I have had PM from a couple others that have had problems with the same rebuild.Guess I will have to now invest in the tools to take shift lever out and replace on the tower that does work.
Old 06-06-2020, 02:42 PM   #12
1931 flamingo

Have you adjusted the idle down?? Sometimes I would go into 2nd and then first at a stop sign, I used the 600W from the vendors. FWIW Is the clutch fully disengaging??

Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 03:07 PM   #13
Patrick L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37 Coupe View Post
I bought my first Model A a 1939 roadster in 1964,I was 18 years old and never actually bought or ever owned a car with an automatic until the eighties. So I have had many V8 Fords from 1937-1946 over the years with the sychros,even my '37 Ford I switched to a '39 transmission when synchros were finally used in Fords,too me the greatest innovation was my dad's 1963 Ford Galaxie with a 390 and a threes speed column shift fully synchronized,you could drop into low gear whilemoving. So I have never had any trouble until this Model A in my 74 years on earth. It presented no problems actually until I farmed out the overhaul on the tower and got a replacement instead of the one sent out. I have my idle down and it still either grinds into second or third or blocks completely into second. I am waiting on the Meropa oil to see if it helps the rebuilt tower. If that doesn't work I will not use the tower at all but I think after a year rebuilder won't want to address this. I have had PM from a couple others that have had problems with the same rebuild.Guess I will have to now invest in the tools to take shift lever out and replace on the tower that does work.

It'll be nice to know what you find.
Old 06-06-2020, 03:28 PM   #14
37 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick L. View Post
It'll be nice to know what you find.
I will post but I also ordered Penrite for steering box and that put everything on hold until they get it in. Tomorrow I am trying on another tower but it is still going to be the foamy oil. I also put that in differential so its probably foamy also. Mayby rebuilt tower is too tight and the used ones I try are loose enough to shift nice but I have not tried one enough to see if they also jump out of gear.
Old 06-06-2020, 03:52 PM   #15
Ed in Maine

In addition to the comments above, you might check to see that the clutch free-play is correct. My car was getting a bit chirpy and found that the free-play was at 1 1/2 in. I have it now at 3/4 in. and the shifts are smooth and quite. Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 04:14 PM   #16
Patrick L.

Quote:
I will post but I also ordered Penrite for steering box and that put everything on hold until they get it in. Tomorrow I am trying on another tower but it is still going to be the foamy oil. I also put that in differential so its probably foamy also. Mayby rebuilt tower is too tight and the used ones I try are loose enough to shift nice but I have not tried one enough to see if they also jump out of gear.

That is kinda my thought too. I'm wondering how big the shift ball is and how it fits. Sounds like it may be tight.
Old 06-06-2020, 04:22 PM   #17
Ruth

I don't understand the foamy oil. I just drained my transmission after a drive to get it warm and it was not foamy at all. I use Snyder's 600w.

Is anyone else having this problem?
Old 06-06-2020, 04:25 PM   #18
The Master Cylinder

I use Penrite SAE 250 in my trans and it shifts good.

Enjoying life at the beach in SoCal...
The Master Cylinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 04:40 PM   #19
jb-ob

I support the idea of double checking the clutch free play. A single disc 1929 clutch should have 1" free play. The clutch needs to disengage cleanly, no drag. to shift without chirping gears.

MAYBE because of mileage & wear, try 3/4 " free play.

( A 1928 multi-disc is supposed to have 3/4 " free play but the discs dragged until I closed the free play down to 1/2".)

We're all pulling for ya, Good Luck, jb
jb-ob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 05:30 PM   #20
37 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb-ob View Post

I support the idea of double checking the clutch free play. A single disc 1929 clutch should have 1" free play. The clutch needs to disengage cleanly, no drag. to shift without chirping gears.

MAYBE because of mileage & wear, try 3/4 " free play.

( A 1928 multi-disc is supposed to have 3/4 " free play but the discs dragged until I closed the free play down to 1/2".)

We're all pulling for ya, Good Luck, jb
Mayby I will take away free play and see if that helps.I set it at the 1" free play,new clutch,flywheel refaced,new throwout bearing and it was not the cheap foreign made one,new trans bearings,new shifter but it is the Taiwan one Snyders rebuilds with. Mayby clutch is snagging a bit with new floor boards and mat.Only have 15 miles on everything.
Old 06-06-2020, 11:15 PM   #21
daveymc29

I turn my hearing aids off while driving the A's. They run quiet and the shifts are silent. Now if I can just get my wife to quit panicking every couple of miles.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 04:39 AM   #22
Patrick L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveymc29 View Post
i turn my hearing aids off while driving the a's. They run quiet and the shifts are silent. Now if i can just get my wife to quit panicking every couple of miles.

lol
Old 06-07-2020, 08:48 AM   #23
Jack Shaft
BANNED

Quote:
Didn't meant to call you out,I apologize. Try loosening the cover and sliding a bit see if its centered on the case.The shift rails have to slide into bores on the bellhousing,if the cover isnt true sometimes it will hang.
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 09:42 AM   #24
duke36

Perhaps check that the tranny top vent area isn't blocked (and perhaps add a breather to the rear end as well ).
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote