Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-01-2018, 10:49 AM   #1
wingski

Default Ooghaaa !!!

I discovered that the nut holding down the steering wheel on my ’29 was only finger tight after pulling that horn rod, I tightened it to about 50 foot pounds and slid the rod back in. When I first removed the horn and light switch, the only thing that dropped out was the spring. I had trouble lining that switch up with the notch in the steering column while compressing that spring, but I finally got it.

When I went out to the garage yesterday and touched the steering wheel, the horn came on. I had to pull that lever and button back out a little to get it to stop. My god, that ooghaa makes a horrible sound when it’s on continually. I’m sure the neighbors were really impressed. I know my dog and cat and wife were not. I wasn’t either, but that horn is impossible to ignore. I realized that the ooghaa horn was something not to take lightly like a modern day horn’s beep. If I would have been walking across the street in front a a model A, and that horn ooghaaed, I would have jumped three feet.

Anyway, what have I done wrong? Was there something other than that spring between the switch and column? The switch itself can on go on in only one position because of that notch.

I’ve got to get this thing fixed because my old heart won’t stand for much more ooghaaing. My hearing is shot, but that damn horn doesn’t seem to realize that and comes through loud and obnoxiously. I wonder what it sounds like to a person with good hearing.

I definitely have found out that that horn is not to be used causually. Wouldn’t it be shitty to touch that horn while an old person was slowly strolling in front of your car and have them drop dead from fright.

OOOGHAAA,

Mike
wingski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 11:12 AM   #2
JBill

Default Re: Ooghaaa !!!

Why not just disconnect it until you have a chance to get at the fix? Should be a bullet connector somewhere along the driver's side of your radiator shell.
JBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 11:16 AM   #3
wingski

Oh, I did that, but I just want to figure out why it's doing something that it didn't do before I screwed around with it.

Mike
Old 03-01-2018, 11:56 AM   #4
Bob C

The spring should already be compressed and the spider and C-clip installed before the switch.

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A-Switch.jpg (27.5 KB, 46 views)
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 12:19 PM   #5
slammin

The horn button completes the horn circuit. Is the horn rod original? You might have a short in the horn switch section of the rod. Once you disconnected the horn, does the light switch turn on the lights as before? If the lights work correctly, your re-assembly is correct. If not, take it apart and start again.
slammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 02:06 PM   #6
BILL WILLIAMSON

Vermins' horn gives me NO trouble, he's gone & been through 2 owners, since he left.
Bill Nocar
Old 03-01-2018, 04:54 PM   #7
wingski

I checked everything out and discovered that the connector that makes contact with the bell-shaped thing under the horn button was sticking out a little too far. I’m going to take a small ball peen hammer and tap on that soldered connector so it’s 1/16” lower or so. That should fix the problem because everything else checks out. There is no continuity unless that bell under the horn button is touching the connector that is insulated when it comes out through the rod itself.

That sure is a weird C-clip at the end of the horn rod. It’s more like a U-clip, but it seems to do the job. I just hope it stays on or I’m going to have another shorting out horn and a whole lot of ooghaaing.

It is doing everything up here. Rain, snow, thunder, but I haven’t seen any lightening. I have to use an umbrella to go back and forth between the garage and house. Thankfully, I used 3/4 minus granite gravel to build up a path from the house to the garage or I’d be wading in 2” of water.

This is NOT the weather for someone with arthritis. Hell, it’s not the kind of weather for anything except trees. Fish are even getting tired of it. One floated by my path and said, “Crap, when is this stuff going to end?”

Mike

P.S. Hell with it. It’s snowing cats and dogs out there again and it’s warm in here. It’s time to catch up on my reading. The horn can wait.
Old 03-01-2018, 06:56 PM   #8
michael a

A week ago today we were in an ice storm today is 60 degrees sunny

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
michael a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 08:34 PM   #9
wingski

The horn is still unfixed in the garage. About 2:30 PM the weather finally made up it’s mind what to do. Snow! When it finally got down to business, I realized that this was just the tip of the storm and I wasn’t ready for it. I hopped into the 4x4 and drove into town. I slid around and almost burned up the wipers because the wet snow was coming down so hard. However, I bought gas, pepermint schnapps, and food, The gas is for the generators I’m probably going to have to start up. The schnapps is to be used as an internal heater after I slosh around in the snow. The food might come in handy as well.

My satelitte dish is covered with snow, so no TV reception. However, last night I taped “The Brain That Wouldn’t Die” a one star movie made in 1962 for my wife who loves that crap. Every once in awhile, I’ll look at the TV and see a gal’s head sitting on a table with tubes going in and out. No lungs, no body, but she can talk.
Man, does she talk a lot.

It has snowed at least 2” in the last two hours and hasn’t let up. Boy oh boy, what a night is coming if this doesn’t let up. I have three 10’ X 20’ vinyl buildings that can’t take more than 6” of snow. I have truck tarps on them instead of polyester covering them, and those tarps are heavy. I really have to watch it when it snows like this because of the weight. Those tubular supports in those buildings will just collapse from too much weight.

Fun, fun, and more fun,

Mike
Old 03-01-2018, 09:00 PM   #10
Ruth

Are your tarps blue? Around here they are known as the Oregon flag. Seems everyone has a blue tarp on their roof.
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 11:35 PM   #11
wingski

Ruth, they are gray or silver.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:19 AM   #12
chap52

Silver tarp=Ghetto chrome
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 09:51 AM   #13
Barry B./ Ma.

I notch a piece of 4x4 pt and stand it under the center roof tube, using 2 pieces of 4x4 spaced apart is better, actually to work better you should raise the 4x4s to put upward tension on the center tube. You can knock the 4x4s out after the season is over.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 11:40 AM   #14
wingski

OK, here’s how it happened.

I went out to that building to knock the snow off the top by using a flat-broom from the inside and pushing up on all the sagging parts of the roof. That damn thing collapsed on me, my Goldwing 1500 SE with sidecar, my Kawasaki Vulcan 800, and all my 2x4’s and miscellaneous pieces of wood. I was able to get out, but my cap and flat-broom were trapped.

After hours and hours of shoveling really wet snow off that thing, I was able pull, lift, come-a-long, tie off, and brace that thing back in place. Sort of. I got both bikes into another building that won’t collapse, but getting them the thirty feet through a foot of snow was a real bitch. If it hadn’t been for my lovely wife, I’d still be out there spinning my wheels and fish-tailing all over the place. It wasn’t too bad getting the Goldwing and sidecar moved. It couldn’t fall over, so I hooked a rope and come-a-long onto it and finally was able to get it into the other building.
The Kawasaki was a whole different thing. After going down two or three times and having her help me lift that heavy S.O.B. back upright, I got it into the building with the Goldwing. I felt so damn bad for her having to just stand around while I did my stuff, but she did, and I’m so grateful.

We really checked the weather forecast for last night, and it said rain. Bullshit. It snowed again last night, and if I’d left that building the way it was, I’d have some pretty screwed-up bikes. Busted windshields, twisted handle-bars, and wet, wet, wet.

I’ll take a picture and share it with you when I’m able to move. Hey, this crap isn’t supposed to happen to 74 year olds.

Mike
Old 03-03-2018, 01:06 PM   #15
Barry B./ Ma.

Boy you sure had a tough time, I built my 20x12 Coverit on a floating wood deck and mine has heavy duty tubing, around 1-3/4 OD so I am able to shim under the 4x4s. Yours may be larger than mine so the longer span may not carry the snow load, I've had a foot and a half of snow on mine. That must have been a shocker when it collapsed on your bikes.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 03:22 PM   #16
wingski

Yes, it truly was a shocker. I didn’t realize until this morning how lucky (?) I was to have gotten out from under that thing as easily as I did. The big difference from this thing that collapsed and the buildings I bought from Costco is the size of the tubing. The building that collapsed has 1 1/2” tubing. The Costco buildings have 2’and much better cross supports between the four peaked parts that hold up the roof. Also, they have turnbuckles to keep that building tight and straight.

I wish I had a way of finding a used Costco building frame. I’d drive over, pay for it, dissassemble it, and bring it home. I know they’re around because that polyester roofing and sides don’t hold up to UV, and it’s expensive to replace them.

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3 ropes pulling from right.jpg (329.6 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg 2X4 braces against front.jpg (351.8 KB, 35 views)
Old 03-03-2018, 08:50 PM   #17
Tom Wesenberg

The same thing happened to me about 9 years ago. I just got my Menards metal shelter up and moved my Model A into it, then the next night we had heavy snow and my plastic shelter caved in. It was the same night that the Twin Cities Metrodome roof caved in and tore open. From now on I will only buy the metal shelters. I got so tired of always having to run out with a broom to knock the snow off the plastic shelters.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 11:58 PM   #18
BILL WILLIAMSON

It's just misting RAIN, here & 57 Degrees. Sorry for you all that are having SO MUCH weather trouble.
Bill Sadforyou