Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-11-2016, 12:10 PM   #1
Dick Steinkamp

Default Newbie...new Model A owner

The first car I ever "restored" (I use that term loosely) was a 1930 A Coupe when I was in High School in 1965. I've probably restored or hot rodded over 30 cars since...two of which went to the Grand National Roadster Show in Pomona...but never another Model A.

I finally decided to relive my youth . I've been looking for a complete, rust free, hopefully not messed with 30-31 Coupe or Tudor for a while. I finally pulled the trigger on this one a month or so ago...

eBay Listing

I bought it sight unseen, but it turned out to be exactly what I was looking for. Straight, rust free, mostly original...but needs EVERYTHING. I know buying a project is not very smart from a financial standpoint, but the project part is probably what interests me most about collector cars. I find when I finish one and play with it a while, I lust after another project which means I have to sell the finished one to have enough money and room to do the next.

The engine number of this car matches the title and crosses to April 1930.

The body number...

...indicates Richmond, CA assembly. It would sure be interesting to learn how and when the car got to Wisconsin. I suppose the assembly location may help explain the rust free nature of the car, however.

I got the car running and driving shortly after its arrival here in Bellingham, WA. After a carb rebuild, fuel system clean out, oil change, and going over the ignition, it seems to run well. It does need EVERYTHING, however. Steering, suspension brakes and clutch for starters.

Model A running and driving

My current plan is to make it a dependable, safe driver and then decide if I want to tackle the cosmetics. There is something about a mostly original car that intrigues me and I just might decide to keep it "as is". In any case, I'll need lots of help from the group here (warning you in advance )

Here is the car today...

Through a little sleuth work, I determined the car was originally Copra Drab/Chicle Drab like this one...

...but was repainted many years ago. The car is missing the back seat, but the rest of the interior is there and original.
Dick Steinkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 12:41 PM   #2
burner31

Default Re: Newbie...new Model A owner

Nice find and welcome to the barn.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images dog.jpg (6.6 KB, 5 views)
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 12:41 PM   #3
1930artdeco

Welcome to the club! Two you want to consider, are joining a local club and getting les Andrews books. Since these cars have there quircks and you may have forgotten a thing or two since HS.

Mike
Old 05-11-2016, 01:06 PM   #4
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Very nice!! Get it running and stopping and leave the cosmetic work for later, it sounds good in the video!!!
Old 05-11-2016, 01:21 PM   #5
Dick Steinkamp

Thanks Mike V and Keith .

To the other Mike, I've joined MAFCA which I think is the first step towards joining a local club. I do plan on joining a local club although the closest is about an hour away. I'll look into the Les Andrews books. Thanks for the tip. I do have Victor W. Page which (I think) is left over from my first A.

I have forgotten MORE than a thing or two since high school (what were we talking about again .....).

BTW, here I am with my first A...

Old 05-11-2016, 01:22 PM   #6
Farrell In Vancouver

Look like you scored a nice car, good luck with the restoration and reliving the memories. You just cant help but have fun!
Farrell In Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 01:44 PM   #7
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
...I have forgotten MORE than a thing or two since high school (what were we talking about again .....)
I got my first "A" at the tender age of 14. Was without one for 55+ years until I got the one in my avitar 6 years ago. Amazing how much comes back to you.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 01:54 PM   #8
Tom Wesenberg

Looks like you scored a very nice straight car to work with. Those original colors are beautiful, and those are what I'd paint it, if you do paint it. Either way, you can fix the mechanical needs, lube all the moving parts, and start having fun.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 02:14 PM   #9
George Miller

Very nice and a great one to leave as a driver.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 03:18 PM   #10
mhsprecher

I also think you should leave it like it is.

The Les Andrews books are great. Had I had those books when I bought my first A coupe when I was in high school, I might still have it! There is A LOT more information available to us now.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 03:33 PM   #11
Dave in MD

Dick,
A very nice car indeed.
It appears there are two different sets of assembly plant numbers that use the letter R.
We know the Richmond California assembly replaced San Francisco plant in late 1931. The few R numbers we have seen are very low when compared to the second set of R number found mainly 1930 and 31 Tudors. It is interesting that most of the second set of R numbered cars are located in Wisconsin, like yours. Would you please send me the engine number and/or frame number if they are different. Also, do you know any of or can you trace any of the history of the previous owners.
Regards,
Dave
Dave in MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 05:46 PM   #12
Dick Steinkamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MD View Post
Dick,
A very nice car indeed.
It appears there are two different sets of assembly plant numbers that use the letter R.
We know the Richmond California assembly replaced San Francisco plant in late 1931. The few R numbers we have seen are very low when compared to the second set of R number found mainly 1930 and 31 Tudors. It is interesting that most of the second set of R numbered cars are located in Wisconsin, like yours. Would you please send me the engine number and/or frame number if they are different. Also, do you know any of or can you trace any of the history of the previous owners.
Regards,
Dave
Good info Dave!

The engine number is A3246710. I have not had the body off (it does not look like it has ever been off) so I don't know if it matches the frame number. It does match the title which is at least a hint that it may match the frame number.

I have written the PO to see if he has any history on the car, but I have very little at this point. It was on an apple farm near Wisconsin Rapids in a barn when the PO bought the apple farm 45 years ago. It has sat in that barn since then although it supposedly was started 2 years ago. It had Wisconsin Antique Car plates on it when I bought it, but under the back plate was this...

There are no other "R" plants in this list from Steve Plucker...

Letters, numbers and codes

...so that list may be incomplete?

Could the missing plant from that list have been Racine?

EDIT: In Steve Plucker's list, there is a Milwaukee assembly plant but with (???) after it for the letter code.

Last edited by Dick Steinkamp; 05-11-2016 at 06:18 PM.
Old 05-11-2016, 05:48 PM   #13
Dick Steinkamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Looks like you scored a very nice straight car to work with. Those original colors are beautiful, and those are what I'd paint it, if you do paint it. Either way, you can fix the mechanical needs, lube all the moving parts, and start having fun.
Thanks, Tom.

I agree about the colors. One of the most attractive combinations on a Tudor (IMHO). Especially with the straw wheels...which would likely have been Dealer painted on a 30 Standard Tudor.
Old 05-11-2016, 06:12 PM   #14
Fred K-OR

Welcome Dick. Happy to see another Model A'er here on the left coast and in the Northwest. Looks like a great car to start with. Have fun with it and may see you at one of our MAFCA Northwest regional meetings in the future.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 06:26 PM   #15
Dave in MD

Dick,
We know where all 32 of the U.S. assembly plants were located. Racine was not one of them. Engine number A3246710 was stamped on April 22, 1930 at the Rouge plant. If this is the original engine, your Tudor might have the oval or round speedometer. It depends on how long the engine may have sat before being assembled in you Tudor.

We began looking at these numbers about 15 years ago after I found one on my 1928 Coupe. All of the research, done to date, has been from collecting numbers from the good folks like yourself. The vast majority of assembly plants derived the letter codes from the city where the plant was located. I firmly believe the remaining plants did not, which makes the equation process much more difficult.

So we are not yet done and in fact may never have a complete list of the letter codes. Also, the information on web sites regarding these numbers may not be current.
Dave
Dave in MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 06:43 PM   #16
Dick Steinkamp

Thanks again, Dave.

My car does have the oval speedometer.

It is good to know from your research that it was probably not assembled in Richmond, CA. If you do get more data that leads you to an assembly point conclusion, please let me know.

In any case, I think it is a good thing that we still have some mysteries about these cars 85+ years later. It would be no fun if every mystery has already been solved.
Old 05-11-2016, 07:29 PM   #17
700rpm

Very nice find. Congratulations. If it were my car, I would take care of the mechanicals, put a nice LeBaron Bonney interior in it, and leave the outside untouched, except maybe runningboard rubber, and drive it. They are only original once, and I can tell you that you will get a lot of attention with an apparently unrestored car. Just my two centavos.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 07:46 PM   #18
mshmodela

Cars looks great, keep her as is..

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 07:51 PM   #19
Dick Steinkamp

Thanks, Ray. My current plan for the car is as you described...with the exception of the new interior. The headliner and side panels are there and don't look terrible. The front seats still carry the tattered original upholstery and are actually quite comfortable. The original rear mat is in place...front MIA. As I reported, the rear seat is missing. I'd like to find one in similar condition as the rest of the interior. If anyone has a line on one, please let me know.