Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-29-2010, 05:06 PM   #1
Epetek1

Default Bucket List NY-LA 9-10 ideas requested

I'm taking my 1930 Model A tudor sedan from NY to LA starting about September 15th. Any ideas of route, model A help on the way or places of interest to stay. Planning about 350 miles a day and will hit Rt 66 at some point. A dream come true for me, here or email at [email protected].
California or bust!!! Pete W2LL
Epetek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 05:13 PM   #2
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: Bucket List NY-LA 9-10 ideas requested

My son and I have tossed around Florida to NY.

Maybe contacting the individual clubs that you think you could be near and ask them for assistance.

Best of luck to you. Please take lots of photos and notes along the way so we can live the dream through you!!!
Old 08-29-2010, 08:42 PM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Also wishing you the best of luck!! Have fun!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 08:45 PM   #4
Boston Bruce

Pete: Have you ever done a long trip in your Model A? 350 miles a day, although certainly doable, is a lot of driving in an 80 year old car. If you average 40 MPH that's about nine (9) hours behind the wheel. Stopping for fuel, food and traffic will slow you down and keep that average speed down too.

Bruce
Boston Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 08:45 PM   #5
roccaas

Will you be in any college towns on Gameday?

The Grove, Oxford, Mississippi, Ole Miss
Lincoln Nebraska
Norman, Oklahoma
The Rose Bowl

I'd bet you'd get front row parking!

That's my bucket list!
Old 08-29-2010, 09:39 PM   #6
glenn in camino

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I've always wanted to drive my A cross country. I'm planning to drive to Mich. in 2012 for the national. Good luck. Take your national roster in case you need help.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:42 PM   #7
Rowdy
BANNED

If going on route 66 you will be far south of me, but if you choose a more northern route I could provide assistance if you for some reason has problems. Rod
Old 08-29-2010, 11:51 PM   #8
40 Deluxe

If you're on I-40 in Arizona exit in Flagstaff and pick up Hiway 89A. It goes south into Oak Creek Canyon which is just beautiful. You go down a few miles of switchbacks then thru the bottom of the canyon and out into Sedona (artsy tourist trap). 20 more miles or so you climb into Jerome, an old copper mining town (neat mining museums) and up more switchbacks over Mingus Mountain and down more switchbacks through pine forest with oaks that should be turning color about that time. Then you hit main Hiway 89 back to I-40. At Seligman you can get off I-40 and take Rte. 66 to Kingman. At Kingman there is an even older portion of 66 that goes to Oatman, then to Needles and back on I-40.
40 Deluxe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 12:38 AM   #9
Richard in Anaheim CA

Pete,

You will have the time of your life. We left last Sept 8th from LA and covered 40 states and 9351 miles arriving home Oct 31st.

We included Yellowstone park, Mt Rushmore, Walls Drug Store, The corn palace, Niagara Falls, Fall colors in VT,NH & Maine, Attended Hershey Swap Meet, Washington, DC, Fl, AL, TX, NM, AZ and all the rest

Take you MAFCA and MARC rosters. We called seveal members for info and help.

Contact me if youwant to chat [email protected]

Richard
Anaheim CA
Richard in Anaheim CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:24 AM   #10
Ron Lowe

I live in the southeast corner of Kansas, just a few miles from Route 66. I've got a large garage, hot coffee, and plenty of cold beer. Check your email for my phone number. Give me a call if you need anything. Good luck and have a safe trip. Ron
Ron Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:11 AM   #11
zzlegend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epetek1 View Post
I'm taking my 1930 Model A tudor sedan from NY to LA starting about September 15th. Any ideas of route, model A help on the way or places of interest to stay. Planning about 350 miles a day and will hit Rt 66 at some point. A dream come true for me, here or email at [email protected].
California or bust!!! Pete W2LL
Wow. A once in a lifetime trip. And you are doing it. Good for you and good luck. Hope you update us when you return home. Take your time and enjoy your trip.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 05:10 PM   #12
Lawrie

We have done a few cross country trips in our 28 open cab pickup here in Australia,one at 13500klms and in march this year a 7000 trip ,mostly trvelled at 45-50mph.
Had the time of our lives
Enjoy it,Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 05:37 PM   #13
Bruce Adams

Model A Ford Club of Long Island will certainly welcome you if you keep us advised of your arrival date and time in New York !
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 06:00 PM   #14
James Rogers

This trip is in my bucket list also though, I would finish in San Francisco and visit Marco. This July we did the MTFCI tour and the first day just for a day tour outside the structured touring we did 186 miles through the badlands with the T's. Mind you we didn't know it would be that far but, we did it. The next day we did a 145 mile tour with the club. I figure a T would do about 200-250 miles each day. That would make the 2500 mile trip 10 days so, that leaves some time to sight see and rest a couple of days.

Good luck and have the time of your life!
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:53 PM   #15
john in illinois

My wife and I drove from Illinois to Vicksburg,Ms.in July This was our longest trip-1320 miles. We had a blast. With the windshield open to the notch,we had plenty of air to keep cool.Floor and firewall were insulated.We didn"t have any breakdowns.

As I drove I thought about what a good car the model A is. 80 years old and it got us there and back in safety. We have an overdrive, so we drove 50-55 and made it up the Kentucky hills just fine at about 45. We drove 200-250 mi. a day. Start at 7 or8 and quit at 1 or2 so we could see local sights and cool off.

We had 5 miles of interstate and the trucks that passed us honked and waved.

The Tudor made many people smile,us included.

My bucket list for 2011 is to visit my brother in law in Flathead lake Montana. Over the Rockies.

I wish you a safe and fun filled journey.

Last edited by john in illinois; 08-30-2010 at 08:00 PM. Reason: add mileage #
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:44 PM   #16
Roadster62

Everyone should take a cross country tour, did one in 1975 with a '56 Ford 1/2 ton I flew out to LA bought and drove home.Trips like this are common over on the HAMB, and daily updates with photos allow other forum members to enjoy the ride and see the great parts of the country.Check out the route the four young ladies took last year with the 1909 Maxwell recreating the Alice Ramsey tour. Back roads that the Model A would enjoy too. Looking forward to seeing the car tomorrow! Bob..............http://aliceramsey.org/here ya go
Roadster62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:17 PM   #17
cardoza

Every time I drive my A-28, I lose 3 or 4 pounds of mass (fat), on a 5 miles ride (when I used to drive it), so I just do not imagine 300 miles a day in it... It will Take a lot of preparation for me to do that, and a trailer full of spare parts....
Good luck mate and best wishes!
Old 08-30-2010, 09:37 PM   #18
Doug Linden

I Just got back from a 6 week cruise, driving my Model A to Vancouver, BC for the MAFCA convention. I did a couple of 360 mille days and it's sure doable, but that is just a long day of driving. We had to cross the Rockies, high passes and continental divide, but those were not big issues. Weather conditions, especially the wind and heat can make the day seem even longer.

I wish you a good trip and hope you enjoy the ride as much as I did.
Doug Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:49 PM   #19
Bob/AZ

IMHO I would pick up U.S. 60 in eastern NM and cross the state on it, entering AZ at Springerville, take 260 to Show Low, 60 again through the Salt River Canyon, Globe, Phoenix, Wickenburg, Quartzite and into CA. I think this is a very scenic way to cross NM and AZ. The Great Race used it in the '80's I believe. The route 40 Deluxe described from Flag to Oatman is also a great ride across western AZ. Best of Luck to you. I'm jealous. If you need anything in eastern AZ contact me.
Bob/AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:19 AM   #20
John LaVoy

While I haven't driven completely accross the country we have done many long distance tours. You may want to reconsider the 350 miles per day. On the Model A Times tours we try to stay in the 250 mile range. This allows time for stops to enjoy the area you are traveling through and allow yourself some time to talk to people along the way. As we say on the Model A Times tour "It is the Journey, Not the Destination!" We did route 66 on the way to Texas and that is an interesting route but very hot! Again a good reason to travel fewer miles and spend more time out of the sun.
John LaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote