Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-29-2012, 03:41 PM   #1
56servi

Default How to replace window glass

I just bought a 1931 Fordor Slant Window that was in a garage fire. All the glass is cracked/broken from the heat & needs to be replaced. I got the winshield & frame out and am now trying to get the door glass out. I started with the drivers door & have the molding & interior panel off. How do I get the glass out? It looks like it will only come out from the top of the door thru the window opening. I have the side tracks/runners loose at the window opening.
Does the glass come out of the track at the bottom & then out thru the opening or does the whole window regulator come out with the glass?

Thanks
Gene
56servi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:50 PM   #2
Fred K-OR

Default Re: How to replace window glass

Gene,

Don't know for sure how you slant window works but on my 29 coupe, the class comes out of the top of the door. You have to take the top plate off.

The regulator then can be unscrewed from the door panel and taken out the bottom.

Again this was the experience I had with my coupe. Your door may be different. If so maybe someone else on the barn may be able to help.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:46 PM   #3
160B

There is no top plate to remove.

On the S/W you need to roll the window down and unhook the window channels at the top and pull the channel up and lean toward the inside of the car. Then as you roll the window up tilt the window toward the inside of the car and the window comes out the through the opening. As the window gets to the top you unhook the window channel from the riser.

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?

Last edited by 160B; 11-29-2012 at 06:39 PM.
160B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:32 AM   #4
56servi

I think I understand, but my window channels are glued to the door. I can pull them away in the window opening but not below. I can't get to them.
What holds the window in the bottom channel of the riser.

I got a lot of books & magazines with the car but haven't found one that shows this operation or the parts. This is my 1st Model A so not sure about all the part names yet
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Driver Door Glass 002 small.jpg (56.2 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg Driver Door Glass 003 small.jpg (55.3 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg Driver Door Glass 004 small.jpg (49.3 KB, 138 views)
Old 11-30-2012, 08:55 AM   #5
Tom Wesenberg

The tight fit of the bottom channel holds it to the glass. Hopefully someone didn't put some glue on the channel material or glass when installing it. I use a wood block and hammer to remove the riser from the glass and also to install it.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:57 AM   #6
grapp

If you need to, just bust the glass out carefully. then you can get to the channel that is glued in...I am not positive on what holds the glass in the channel, but it is usually a "glass setting tape" that is almost like a very tight friction fit, then mineral oil is applied to swell the tape. However someone could have also siliconed it in...
grapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:38 PM   #7
56servi

I got the driver door panel off. I modified a panel clip removal tool by opening the slot so it would go around the handles between the handle & trim ring. The 2 pins came out with only a little tap on the drift punch. I have had no luck with the other 3 doors. I can get to the pins but can't drive them out. They seem to be stuck in the holes. I tried hitting the drift with a hammer from both sides but can't get them to move.
Any ideas what might cause the pins to be in so tight.

Gene
Old 12-02-2012, 07:24 PM   #8
Dal's Dream Car

Judging by the glass, it looks like you had some serious heat in that garage fore. You may be dealing with some of the welding effects that the intense heat had on alot of those surfaces. That glass setting tape probably turned into JB Weld in that fire.
Dal's Dream Car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:43 PM   #9
Bill Underwood

Send me an email [email protected]
And I will send you a great article that was in
The Bustle-Victoria newsletter
Bu
Anyone else want it email too
Bill Underwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:15 PM   #10
Gord. B by the bay

Take the doors to a auto glass shop they are the experts it will be done right and if they greak the glass they pay not you. The only way to go Been there done that
Gord. B by the Bay
Gord. B by the bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:10 PM   #11
1931 flamingo

Not to change the subject but what shape is the body's sheet metal and fenders in due to the heat??
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:12 AM   #12
56servi

The sheetmetal is in good shape except for a "Buckel" in the driver door. There is one dent on the right front fender where something fell on it. Will need new paint. I have been working on cleaning the stainless but its a slow job. Nothing seems to cut the film. Been using fine steel wool & Goo Gone.
Still struggling to get the pins out of the handles on the inside of the doors. Need to make a different tool to hold the plate back to get to the pins. Can't seem to drive the pins out with a punch. The back & rear windows are out.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:59 AM   #13
tmiller6

I can’t tell by the photos. Did you remove the front filler blocks? These are the hollow stampings that hold the front edge of the window channels on the SW cars.
tmiller6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:32 AM   #14
56servi

Yes I removed the blocks

This is the door I got the panel off of. Loosened the screws holding the regulator. Pulled the channels out at the top & rolled the window up past the top of opening until the regulator bar was above bottom of window opening. Removed the 2 arms from the window bottom channel and out with window.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Driver Door Glass 003 small.jpg (55.3 KB, 34 views)
Old 12-05-2012, 05:25 PM   #15
jan bogert

56 servi,with the three top screws out of the top of door, what i do is with a small vice grip, i slightly bend the riser channel so i can pop the regulator roller out. and pull the glass out of the top of door then reverse for installation
jan bogert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:44 PM   #16
56servi

Operator Error #3
I figured out my pin problem on the handles. On the drivers door the pins were slightly recessed in the handles so I had no problem seeing them. On the other handles they were flush with the round part of the handle & blended in to the OD. I looked at the handles I got off & saw that there were 4 holes (2 sets of thru holes). After I made my new wedge tool to hold the panel in I could see the faint outline of the pins 90* from where I was looking. A slight tap & out they came. I can now get the remaining windows out.
I had the ServPro guy come out & look at my seats & interior panels regarding the smoke smell & slight discoloration of the fabric. He says he can get the smell out using an Ozone generator & some products that will clean up any particles in the seats. Doesn't know if he can restore the original color. Not to worried about the color because they are not that bad. I will report on the finished results.