Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-21-2010, 03:05 PM   #21
John LaVoy

Default Re: A insurance?

We did an article on Grundy awhile ago, and in the last issue there was a letter to the editor from a very satisfied customer regarding their insurance. They do not care how far you drive in a year and we have three cars covered for $22,000 each and it runs around $370 a year if I remember right.
John LaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:43 PM   #22
Hotrodladycrusr

Part 2 as I guess there is a limit to the amount of characters in a post???
Again the following is straight from Becky who works for Grundy.

Superior Claims Service
When an owner of a collector car is protected by a good insurance company, with good claims settlement, the hobbyist is provided with peace of mind. Grundy Worldwide maintains the highest claims settlement ratings of all companies.

<FONT face=Verdana><FONT size=2><FONT face=Verdana>Be sure to look into AM Best ratings. Grundy Worldwide only works with companies that carry the highest claims ratings in the industry. We provide insurance to car collectors in all 50 states; and, in most states, Grundy's Collector Vehicle Program is underwritten by A+ rated Philadelphia Insurance Company. In

I give up, for whatever reason I can't copy and paste the rest of what she wrote. Go here if you want to read the whole thing
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...undy&showall=1
Old 12-21-2010, 04:11 PM   #23
CarlG

Just got a quote from Grundy for my 31PU -- cost for a year is less than Allstate for 2 months
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:44 PM   #24
Fred K-OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
Haggerty, I believe i said 5k mi, no problem. $190 yr
Paul in CT
I have about the same type of policy from Haggerty. They have be great, so far, to deal with.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 06:01 PM   #25
Grapejuice

Looks like I will be making a few phone calls in the next 2 days, as my policies renew on Friday. I realize I could renew them and then change companies at any time, but I want to take care of it right now if I can.
I'd like to thank everyone for their suggestions and comments!!

1930 Cabriolet (the newest project)
1929 Special Coupe (pieces n parts)
1928 Sport Coupe (the driver)
Grapejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 02:40 AM   #26
cardoza

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
very instructive post! I will be asking to allstate some questions!! I am paying too much!!
Old 12-22-2010, 11:33 AM   #27
Dick Carne

My recommendation would be to stay far, far away from J.C Taylor. After 20+ years with them and no claims, I found myself in need of having to file a claim when hit by an under-insured driver. Still no recovery! I would have to recommend anyone other than J.C. Taylor - I presently have mine with American Bankers out of Florida, but have considered changing to Grundy based upon the many favorable comments from other insureds.

Good luck --

Dick
Dick Carne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 05:52 PM   #28
Grapejuice

Holy Smokes! I just got an online quote from Grundy. $113.50 per yr for my Sport Coupe and $168.50 per yr for the Cabriolet. That's with the same, or better coverage and agreed value as I have now.
I can't wait to call them and set it up tomorrow! (they're closed for the day right now)

Old 12-22-2010, 07:40 PM   #29
fritznbud

Gee fellas, I must chime in and say that's too much. How's $49 per year sound? American modern, all the zero deductible stuff and road service with a $10K value. My '55 Chevy is $87 with a $16K value and a '60 Rambler for 44 bucks, over-insured @$8K IMO
fritznbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:26 PM   #30
Ron in Quincy

I've got two A's covered with Grundy; in the past had a claim and received the very best possible service and settlement in less than two weeks. I'm going to add my 3rd A in the next couple of weeks. Wouldn't even consider going with some other company.

Ron
Ron in Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:27 PM   #31
Keith True

I check every year,prices are always changing.American Modern is one of the ones I just got a quote from.Comparing apples for apples,they are within $4.of what I am paying from Hagerty.That is $1. per car per year.Five years ago Grundy was way out of the park on pricing,again comparing apples for apples.This year they are about 20 bucks cheaper,but I am not bothering to move from a local business for $20.One thing that I see that American Modern does that nobody else seems to do is write a policy without collision.That would work well for me for some old trucks that only make a loop around town once a year.When I add a 58 BSA,or a 72 Sportster for $18.a year to my Hagerty policy though it seems stupid to not cover it for that kind of money.Right now I have three A's and a 54 Studebaker insured.Two A's are at $16000.and one is at $12000. I don't remember what the Stude is at,I think it is at around $7500.That one was updated so it may be more now.I am paying about $290. with the update on the Stude.It does vary from state to state due to state laws,limitations,requirements,area risks,etc.I sold a 65 Mustang to a fellow in Maine,he insured it with the same company I did,same coverage,age group,clean driving record,and he pays about $40.less than I did.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 08:31 AM   #32
Keith True

N.H.does not require insurance either.Actually,N.H. and Wisconsin are the only states that do not require it. The only reason I found out there were only two was the cash for clunkers era.One of the requirements was the vehicles had to be insured for a certain period before the trade in,to make sure you were really pulling a car off the road and not from your back yard.There was a bit of a fuss raised at the time because nobody thought about the two states that did not require insurance.Really,I think the bottom line was if you couldn't afford insurance you couldn't afford a new car either so I think the point was moot. Not requiring insurance here has another advantage.You can register as many cars as you like without paying a fortune.Antiques have been $12.per year,with $6.going to the town and $6.to the state.I think that has just gone up,it may run about $15. this year.We use the state junkyard statute,which says no more than one or two unregistered vehicles.The few times I have been bothered by the town I just get in compliance.One year I registered 22 antiques.I have read stories over the years warning about having enough insurance to cover your A in case somebody hits you.??? I never got that.Here,if somebody hits you,and you are not at fault,your insurance is not involved.If they are not insured,your uninsured motorist kicks in.You get paid by your own insurance company,and they go after the one who hit you.No raise in premiums for you as you did nothing wrong.I guess it works differently with no-fault.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 09:39 AM   #33
JTW

Condon & Skelley (listed in Steve Pluckers sticky), about $55.00 per year, price doesn't change much from year to year.
JTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 10:34 AM   #34
terry41

Try calling your insurance company that you have your homeowners with. They may be able to give you a better rate.
terry41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 10:37 AM   #35
Jerry Parr WI

Just FYI. Wisconsin passed a mandatory insurance law this year.
Jerry Parr WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 02:06 PM   #36
Commander Toasty

Send a message via ICQ to Commander Toasty

Grundy for me. Three cars, reasonable price, liberal policy.

In the past I have had to take insurance companies to court, spanning years. I learned a lot about the industry and policies (I hope). So I really dig into a policy language when shopping. I have Foremost for the RV and motorcycles, USAA for the daily drivers and house, and Grundy for the old cars.
Commander Toasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 02:15 PM   #37
billwill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grapejuice View Post
I used the search function and didn't come up anything, so pardon me if this has been covered a time or five.

I have two Model A's that I drive frequently and I was wondering what everyone does for insurance? Currently I have them covered by the same company as my moderns, but the cost is relatively high. I have replacement cost policies on both and spend around $1,200 per year combined.
When I got my first A, I called one of the antique insurance companies and got a little upset with their restrictions, so I went with conventional insurance.
Are there any antique insurance companies that allow you to drive your A as much as you like, anywhere you like?

Thanks!!
haggery
billwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 07:33 PM   #38
Grapejuice

It's a done deal. Grundy gets the nod.
My '29 Sport Coupe will have a replacement cost value of $15,000 and my '30 Cabriolet will be $25,000. The policies are Zero deductible, comp, collision, uninsured driver and $300,000 personal injury, all for $252.00 per year (total).
Considering I was paying $1,279 per year for less coverage, I'd say I did pretty good by switching.

Thanks again for all of the friendly advice!!

Old 12-29-2010, 05:28 AM   #39
elvin.neumann

OP; you might want to try The Hartford’s antique car insurance too. They are quite flexible and good with claims. I have my cars and home insured with them too.
elvin.neumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:34 PM   #40
csporty

I have both of my cars insured with American Collectors, 26 T & 31 A Agreed value on each $15,000. $235 year. They say they allow 2500 per year on each but do not ever ask when renewing. They don't want them used as an every day driver. Coverage is the same as my F150. I am very happy with their coverage.
csporty is offline   Reply With Quote