Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-29-2022, 10:32 AM   #101
Bob C

Default Re: 1932 BB Dump

Some times you need a little heat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-008F.JPG (48.3 KB, 305 views)
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 10:37 AM   #102
Redpond2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
The insides of that transmission look pretty dang good!

I say that, even though I hate having to look at spur-cut gears . . . as I have never had enough experience driving those old beasts to know how to downshift them wroth a crap - regardless of my feeble double-clutch attempts!

I like SYNCHROS! LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaker View Post
Nate, Dale,
I did not use any heat on my hub during removal., but was tempted to, when it was stubborn. May work fine? I just did not want to damage any of the innards.

I have not found any method to down shift these transmisions. They just dont like that at all.
Regards,
Chris

I like synchros and helical cut gears too! I have driven my grandpas model A and while it’s a 3 speed, I’m to the understanding it has the same drivability. Was successful at double clutch and gear down after a couple attempts. I imagine these trucks are the same premise but with different sweet spots as they are geared much lower. Will know in due time!

As far as the rear hubs go- I haven’t pulled on them yet. Every puller I’ve got or come across hasn’t fit for one reason or another. Got the green light from my snap on guy to open his lug holes up to fit and he will just warranty them if I want to give it back. Now, due to the holiday weekend I will have to find some throwaway lug nuts Tuesday. 3/4-16 in left hand thread, or standard for that matter, is surprisingly at none of the big chain automotive places. Who would have thought!

Caution: living may be hazardous to your long term health. Eventually, and often over time, death has been known to occur....
Redpond2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 03:19 PM   #103
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 04:54 PM   #104
Bored&Stroked

The legendary 'Flame Wrench' can disassemble just about anything made of Steel! LOL
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 09:32 PM   #105
Redpond2

Quote:
The legendary 'Flame Wrench' can disassemble just about anything made of Steel! LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
the techs have a saying in the shop where I work... "Can't be stuck if its liquid"

borrowed grandpas drill press, went and got a 3/4" bit to open the puller up some, sucker was $30 for one time use, went back to the garage and wam bam thank you ma'am! rear hubs are off, no heat needed.

rather than using a hammer to beat the handles around, I resorted to my BFPW..kin to the well known BFH.

wheel seals and some studs/lug nuts are on my list (mostly old damage/missing) as well as either rebuilding/replacing the rear adjustment mechanism. haven't been able to get either to move.

I don't think there is a whole lot more for me to remove from the truck at this point.

aside from cleaning/greasing what needs cleaned and greased, I believe I am to the point of rebuilding gauges and engine bolt-ons, and refitting the interior.

I, at least, should be doing a whole lot more bolting on rather than unbolting now!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rear hub removal.jpg (44.6 KB, 300 views)
File Type: jpg lhr brakes.jpg (47.1 KB, 301 views)
File Type: jpg rhr brakes.jpg (34.5 KB, 295 views)

Caution: living may be hazardous to your long term health. Eventually, and often over time, death has been known to occur....
Old 05-29-2022, 10:01 PM   #106
petehoovie

"went and got a 3/4" bit to open the puller up some, sucker was $30 for one time use, went back to the garage and wam bam thank you ma'am! rear hubs are off, no heat needed."

"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

Old 05-30-2022, 12:15 AM   #107
GB SISSON

Quote:
The insides of that transmission look pretty dang good!

I say that, even though I hate having to look at spur-cut gears . . . as I have never had enough experience driving those old beasts to know how to downshift them wroth a crap - regardless of my feeble double-clutch attempts!

I like SYNCHROS! LOL
Ok, as a guy whose dad was an insurance broker in the city, I bought a ford AA stakebed at age 19. Local guys around the garage and other townies just said 'Ya gotta double clutch that thing'... So I pushed in the clutch twice then shifted the way I had in my 63 VW bug. Over time my upshift got better but not the downshift. I down graded to various Toyotas and other assorted trucks. Flash fwd 25 years or so to trading for a '38 tonner. I daily drove it but it's hilly here.... This is what I found and many T-9s later I stand by. ... Heading up a hill with a load, and you gotta downshift. So in your brain, imagine what the revs will be after you catch 3rd and pre-rev the engine to that kind of rpm in neutral. You are matching the engine to what it will be revving at when you engage 3rd. If you miss it on the first try all bets are off. My acid test was a huge road project at the bottom of Racoon Hollow one summer. All the county guys were leaning on their shovels and watching this kid with a load of logs or beams climbing Flarehty's hill after the stop at the hollow. I had to learn it so I did. One day I pulled the top of the tranny on the 38 thinking it would be a mess of broken teeth and mashed up parts, but it looked like new. I have no Idea what those gears are made of, but kryptonite comes to mind. Don't evet give up on learning to drive a spur cut gear box. It's a joy when it finally sinks in .......
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 12:32 AM   #108
tubman

Maybe they had better transmissions, but I had a '48 Seagrave pumper with a Pierce-Arrow derived V12 and a 4 speed "crash box" that I could downshift at will. I had always been interested in "double-clutching" and practiced shifting various old cars into first gear while still moving. (I got kicked out of drivers training in high school when I dropped the old '55 Chevy drivers training car into low at about 15 mph right after the Drivers-Ed instructor told us it was impossible.) I got to the point where I could make that old Seagrave do anything I wanted.

It may have had something to do with the truck having only 2300 road miles and it was like new.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 09:22 AM   #109
Bored&Stroked

From just a few pics, it looks like your drums and brakes look like they are in pretty good shape. I'd cover the snout and wash all the asbestos out of there with water, then brakeclean (nasty stuff - but it works) and see what you have.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 09:15 PM   #110
Redpond2

small updates on my truck/bigger updates on life,

Got to meet Chris (aka Sugarmaker), great guy and an awesome truck (biased). His pit stop in Bowling Green allowed me to get a real visualization of what I'm missing and how it should be (in the cab particularly), Also; thanks to his keen eye, I found out I likely have a 33-34 pitman arm as it doesn't angle back into the engine bay area quite enough and makes contact with the front brake rod. I also need, again thanks to his keen eye, a front brake wedge stud. as I have one that has worn and lost its outer plate that rides the brake rollers (PN: BB 2051 2 21/32" long and 1/2 x 20 thread for you part number guys) Otherwise nothing jumped out to him that I need to do that I am not already doing.

a quick aside; I highly recommend checking out one of his other hobbies (maple syrup and sauces) can't speak on the syrup just yet but the barbecue sauces I tried are stellar, I'll be ordering some well before I run out, for sure.

got quite a few books in, which lead to more books on order, my 32 ford books came (highly recommend), my "Ford Chassis, Parts, and Accessories catalogue" came in ( extremely valuable in conjunction with the 32 ford books) which led me to order the "the ford, v-eight-B-four, BB-truck" by G. B. Manley. should have that one in a few days with some valuable "How-to's" for this novice. I am in talks with YandZ on wiring, going to give rhode island wiring a call in the morning to check them out. the last few days have been a lot of reading and getting accustomed to the nomenclature and organization style of these books. I'm a pretty good reader, and there was still a learning curve. Here's to hoping the generation after mine can comprehend, may be asking a lot.

VERY much looking forward to tomorrow (Friday) as I get to go down to the early V8 meet in franklin, TN get to give sugarmakers truck another once over, get to meet David G, and hopefully some others that may have been following along. Excited to peruse any vendors or swap meet guys still there who may have some parts I'm hunting for.

did some thinking on what, exactly, I want out of this truck, beyond just getting it on the road. I do not foresee a pristine show piece out of this truck in my future. I think I want it functional as Henry made it. It's a work truck that was worked, hard labor is not conducive to perfection; So, my current plan is to replace as few of parts as possible (and replacing those with as close to original, if not NOS as I can find/afford) while giving it the much needed TLC it screams for. My mentality, on most all things, is "if it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing" and for me, this project is worth doing.

Also the radiator shop called today, they were pleasantly surprised, radiator is in good shape- fixed a couple pinhole leaks and fixed my loose strap, fuel tank cleaned up well; fixed a small leak on the seam. we're on the path of getting parts back!

keep truckin',

Nate

Old 06-02-2022, 09:26 PM   #111
DavidG

Nate,

Great news regarding your radiator! You're fortunate to have a radiator repair resource as like battery shops, radiator shops are disappearing right and left.

Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow.

David
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 05:32 PM   #112
sugarmaker

Nate,
Was great to see you your uncle and grandfather at the V8 car meet. Weather was great and made more good friends and more truck leads too!
Let me know about the seat frames fitting your gas tank.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 05:32 PM   #113
sugarmaker

oops, double post
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 06-07-2022 at 08:10 AM.
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 08:43 PM   #114
Redpond2

All,

Had a fantastic time at the meet. A TON of great vehicles. I did, however, keep finding myself eyeballing Michael Driskells gray 36 PU, boy those are sharp.. maybe if I have room someday; and getting a close up view of Davids 32 deluxe coupe was a marvel in itself. I find myself very lucky to have met so many great people, so quickly, in my journey to get my old dump truck going. Maybe, I'll head up to Dearborne for next years meet, if the trucks ready; more on that.

Didn't make it back in town to pick up the tank and radiator from the shop by the time the boys started their weekend so will know more on that this week. Little Man, Everett, and I had a wedding to attend this afternoon (rather short lived with his lack of an afternoon nap and being an outside venue during the heat of the day) So I got to monkey around with the truck today, some, after all.

Had a piece of my driver front brake wedge stud (the "washer" that is swaged on the outside for the rollers to ride on) MIA that Chris noticed on his visit, grandpa had a spare wedge stud that was too short so I made a backyard fix. I make no claim to be a welder, barely a half decent grinder. under the belief that these do not take much pressure and with the knowledge that these are readily available if I am unable to fix it; I went for it. looks good enough for the women I know. will know in due time. checked all the connection points in the mechanical brake system I could solo. they are all pretty tight so far and do not appear to be wallowed out much if any.

monkeyed with the windshield adjustment some and noticed a new number stamp...

on the forward crossmember where they fuel tank sits on the passenger side I found "LE-922-32". Spoke to grandpa on the matter and he said it seems like an assembly date. If consistent with the model A nomenclature, it appears this means the old truck now has a birthday. 9/22/32 out of Louisville. the 32' Ford book indicates Louisville as an assembly plant for the year; that is all the knowledge I currently have on the matter. please correct me if I have any of the details wrong on this!

it would appear, at face, correct as that is the closest assembly branch to where the truck was found and currently resides.

thank you to those whom brought parts down to the show for me, they will be put to good use. Another statement of gratitude to the quieter of you following along. Met a couple who said they hadn't contributed but were following along. I appreciate all the eyes; helps to keep me honest!

Anyway; a few pictures!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6513.jpg (73.2 KB, 224 views)
File Type: jpg fixed DF brake wedge stud.jpg (45.4 KB, 226 views)
File Type: jpg assembly date stamp location from passenger side.jpg (45.1 KB, 223 views)
File Type: jpg assembly date stamp.jpg (28.0 KB, 225 views)

Old 06-04-2022, 09:43 PM   #115
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redpond2 View Post
I appreciate all the eyes; helps to keep me honest!
Anyway; a few pictures!

Old 06-06-2022, 03:51 PM   #116
51504bat

Not a dump and a '34 not a '32 but this post from over on the FTE might give you some inspiration:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post20432395
Old 06-06-2022, 04:01 PM   #117
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51504bat View Post
Not a dump and a '34 not a '32 but this post from over on the FTE might give you some inspiration:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post20432395

Old 06-06-2022, 08:11 PM   #118
DavidG

Hard to say what it is as it is clearly a mixture of a much later, non-Ford (?) cab with a '32 radiator shell, hood, modified front fenders and head lamp bar. The head lamps have distinctly-European lenses (consistent with the location of the photo), but look to be smaller than '32 lamps and are more likely the '35-'37 commercial variety. Likely the chassis is the '32 BB version as well.

Last edited by DavidG; 06-06-2022 at 08:36 PM.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 08:37 PM   #119
Redpond2

Update on the truck friends-

Was out of state on business all week so not much tinkering. managed to amass are large pile of boxes full of books, parts and rebuild kits. a couple questions.

the brass bushing in the water pump need to be pressed out correct?

On the steering column ignition housing there is a pin on the closest side to the driver seat. that will need to be drilled out I assume, what is a good replacement for that for easier access in the future?

Got my engine to the rebuilder and he, almost immediately, noticed some things that I had missed. one cylinder has some pitting that will be below the second piston ring, going to try not to bore it out but may have to and upon removal of the timing cover ( I had not done that) found the cam gear to be chewed up pretty bad. He expects more to be found upon further digging. My simple valve job is definitely turning into a more substantial investment into the engine.

Oh well, fully anticipated a rebuild when I was pulling the truck out of the barn. Better to get it done right now than to have to pull it again in a couple years.

On a lighter note; Chris's seat frame test fit went well, gas tank has been reinstalled and plumbed. did some cleaning on the fuel sending unit, is there a good way to clean those tubes and bench test?

Thanks all
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tank install.jpg (44.1 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg seat frame test fit.jpg (39.8 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg water pump dissassembly.jpg (53.9 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg parts.jpg (36.7 KB, 25 views)

Old 06-10-2022, 11:21 PM   #120
tomcarman

I've been following this with much interest watching what real mechanics can do. I'm very impressed with the knowledge and progress both you and Chris, aka Sugar maker have done to keep these not only preserved but back in service. I applaud you. On a side note in my area an insurance company last year put a 32,33,34? I don't know anything about it other than I saw them setting it up for display as I was going into town. It appears to be a duelly and when they were getting it ready for their advertising display they built a flatbed with flower boxes on the bed. At the risk of hijacking this thread if you are interested in seeing pictures of it I'd be happy to stop and get some. From the road it looks like a rust bucket but I've not been close to it and I am curious just what year it actually is. With your permission I'll get some pics and post them in this thread.
Tom
tomcarman is offline   Reply With Quote