Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-31-2013, 09:10 AM   #1
Tom F OHIO

Default New Trunk

I purchased a new trunk from Snyders yesterday. I have a luggage rack that is chrome with the wood slats. Folded it down yesterday to see how things were going to fit. The trunk fits in the rack perfectly but sitting there when you open the lid it will hit the car. This trunk has the curved back and there is no spare tire. Any suggestions. I am pretty sure my rack is installed right. Do I need to move it back somehow. Any pictures of what your brackets look like on a sedan.

Thanks......Tom
Tom F OHIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:20 AM   #2
eagle

Default Re: New Trunk

You definitely don't want to see mine. I made brackets to move my rack further back to accomodate the spare tire, then mounted the rack upside down so the wood is UP! I have an old car trunk that is too wide to sit inside the rack so this allows it to hang over the edges. I like the look of the rack wood side up too. I have the trunk permanently mounted on the rack so it has no need to flip up. It is MY car and I'll do it the way I want. The nice thing about being thought of as a bit eccentric, you can get by with so much! I'll try to take some pics today...

Last edited by eagle; 03-31-2013 at 09:14 PM.
eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:27 AM   #3
Tom F OHIO

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle View Post
You definitely don't want to see mine. I made brackets to move my rack further back to accomodate the spare tire, then mounted the rack upside down so the wood is UP! I have an old car trunk that is too long to sit inside the rack so this allows it to hang over the edges. I like the look of the rack wood side up too. I have the trunk permanently mounted on the rack so it has no need to flip up. It is MY car and I'll do it the way I want. The nice thing about being thought of as a bit eccentric, you can get by with so much! I'll try to take some pics today...
Thanks, Luckly mine fits in the rack. Just cant have the lid hitting the back of the car. I can picture what you did and you have to do what it takes.
Tom....
Old 03-31-2013, 09:47 AM   #4
1931 flamingo

I believe they make extension brkts.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:13 AM   #5
Forker

Here are a pic of my trunk, it is a slant back trunk (slants from bottom rear forward to the top) and can be opened without hitting the back of the car. It measures less front to back on top then it does at the base and this difference is what allows for enough clearance to open without hitting the car and even stay open without holding it up by hand.

I ordered a cover from Synders that fits well, however due to being wider at the bottom then I guess their trucks are, the Velco straps do not reach under the rack to be able to connect them. This is a problem I will be able to solve when I get around to it...that old 'roundtoit' problem again
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1299.jpg (64.1 KB, 83 views)
Forker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:49 PM   #6
Duffy1

Tom F ;

I have the same rack from snyders . I can not comment on the fit issue but I can suggest you put lock tight on the nuts on the bolts holding the wood slates to the frame . If not the nuts come loose and the bolt falls out .
Duffy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:42 PM   #7
Art Bjornestad

I have a trunk on me sedan but am puzzled about how to get to the spare without taking the trunk off. I was thinking about reversing the brackets so that pulling the bolts will allow the trunk to tip down. Any other ideas?
Art Bjornestad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:01 PM   #8
Tom F OHIO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy1 View Post
Tom F ;

I have the same rack from snyders . I can not comment on the fit issue but I can suggest you put lock tight on the nuts on the bolts holding the wood slates to the frame . If not the nuts come loose and the bolt falls out .
Duffy that is a good idea, and thanks for the comment
Old 03-31-2013, 09:03 PM   #9
Tom F OHIO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forker View Post
Here are a pic of my trunk, it is a slant back trunk (slants from bottom rear forward to the top) and can be opened without hitting the back of the car. It measures less front to back on top then it does at the base and this difference is what allows for enough clearance to open without hitting the car and even stay open without holding it up by hand.

I ordered a cover from Synders that fits well, however due to being wider at the bottom then I guess their trucks are, the Velco straps do not reach under the rack to be able to connect them. This is a problem I will be able to solve when I get around to it...that old 'roundtoit' problem again
Nice looking car you have.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:03 PM   #10
eagle

Here is a pic of my trunk/bracket/rack invention. Works good, I'm happy with it even if the A people all have to tell me its upside down. I know, I knew when I put it on. Thanks anyway. I can get at the spare bolts just fine with a crescent wrench and pull the spare, easy peasy. I say crescent wrench, cause thats what I carry with me, besides a lug nut wrench and misc other screwdrivers, wrenches, oil, wire, string, clip leads, etc...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A Trunk brackets.jpg (41.8 KB, 86 views)

Last edited by eagle; 03-31-2013 at 09:17 PM.
eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:40 PM   #11
Dick Carne

Tom -

Just a couple of related thoughts. I enlisted our club's local woodworking expert to make a curved back trunk for our '29 town sedan, and have the same problem. One possible solution might be to add another swing bracket that has a shorter "throw" to prevent the top from opening all of the way up and hitting the rear body panel.

Also, another thought on folks using standard bumper brackets and an exterior trunk, is that when in use, and without rear bumper extensions, the trunk will extend beyond the rear bumper. We have added rear bumper extensions for both our touring car and now the fordor. I'm not sure if Mike's still has any, but I got the last one from him, and you might give him a call. I'd ask for either Mike or Andy, as I'm not sure if anyone else would know there would know what you are talking about if you check with them.

Good Luck -

Dick
Dick Carne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:58 PM   #12
Forker

Thanks Tom
Old 03-31-2013, 11:16 PM   #13
BILL WILLIAMSON

Eagle,
Look up "eccentric"---Great word, Gregg calls me & the Dog that! It's a sign of a well rounded personality Bill W.

Forker,
I love your word, "ROUNDTOIT" May I use it sometime, or do you charge a fee? Bill W.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:19 PM   #14
Forker

Have at it...it's on me
Old 04-01-2013, 06:19 AM   #15
Del in NE Ohio

Tom, remove the bottom wood screw from the internal hold-open bracket. Lower the lid to where you would like to to be when the bracket is locked and not hitting the back of the car. Then- pre-drill and re-install the wood screw on the bottom of the brace. When the brace is fully extended and locked, the trunk lid will be where you want it. I don't think the Amish men who build those, pay a whole lot of attention to where they locate that hold-open brace.
Del in NE Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:37 AM   #16
FL&WVMIKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forker View Post

Forker .................
Your trunk looks like an original one, that the Ford Dealers sold. It is pictured in the Judging Standards.
They are now, pretty scarce. I "dumb lucked" into one, several years ago.
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:55 PM   #17
Forker

Thanks Mike
I can't take any credit for that good fortune as I did not do the restoration on this car. I bought it from an estate where the individual who did all the work had passed away. It would not surprise me as it appears he took meticulous care on lots of small details and I just happen to be the beneficiary of his workmanship.
Best
george
Old 04-01-2013, 01:03 PM   #18
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Bjornestad View Post
I have a trunk on me sedan but am puzzled about how to get to the spare without taking the trunk off. I was thinking about reversing the brackets so that pulling the bolts will allow the trunk to tip down. Any other ideas?
I would just ignore the problem and fight it if I ever had a flat. When did you have your last flat?

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:21 PM   #19
Tom F OHIO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Carne View Post
Tom -

Just a couple of related thoughts. I enlisted our club's local woodworking expert to make a curved back trunk for our '29 town sedan, and have the same problem. One possible solution might be to add another swing bracket that has a shorter "throw" to prevent the top from opening all of the way up and hitting the rear body panel.

Also, another thought on folks using standard bumper brackets and an exterior trunk, is that when in use, and without rear bumper extensions, the trunk will extend beyond the rear bumper. We have added rear bumper extensions for both our touring car and now the fordor. I'm not sure if Mike's still has any, but I got the last one from him, and you might give him a call. I'd ask for either Mike or Andy, as I'm not sure if anyone else would know there would know what you are talking about if you check with them.

Good Luck -

Dick
Thanks Dick for the suggestions. I was looking in the books to see if there was a different bracket that I could use. I am also going to look into what Von suggested too. Looking at my luggage rack bracket I might be able to move in forward about an inch or so. I would like a warmer day to check these out.
Tom...