Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-08-2011, 08:23 PM   #1
35 rancho

Default water temps

Been driving the 35 pickup on a daily bases. the reproduction temp guage from C&G is kind of a Joke. so i installed a small set (water/amp/oil pre.)from Harbor fright. The water temp show low temps on a hot day on a good run , with 180 thermstats. So I removed the dash guage senser from right head, installed another aftermarket guage it's reading 140 on a hot run.Replaced the h.f. guage with new on left head,still getting real low readings on it. So my question is it possible the left head runs hotter than the right? I'm thinking to swap sensers L to R see what happens. I have a new rad. 13 lbs. cap Pumps were rebuilt , have 50/50 water and antifreze,, I'm also contemplating an oil filter, 500 miles goes by fast for a daily driver. The 40 block has no return ports for oil any suggestions?? Thanks Dave
35 rancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:06 AM   #2
36tbird

Default Re: water temps

I have a sensor in my right head for my electric fan control. It has a digital read out on its controller. Then I have the sending unit for my dash gauge on the left head. They are different brands and it is not uncommon for me to see about a 10 degree split with the right side one usually being the higher. My buddy has two gauges on his flathead roadster rod and he sees the same thing with two of the same gauges. You might get an infrared reader and check or put a direct reading gauge.

The oil filter is a whole different animal. The job to drill your ports to filter all your oil from the pump and then go to all internal except the rear main is not hard but should be done with engine disassembled. I did one using magnets and grease to catch the shavings on an assembled engine, but it is a calculated risk I am taking that I got it all.
36tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:17 AM   #3
alanwoodieman

a friend has a 38 with the oil return fitted into the neck of the fuel pump stand, I have one that returns thru a hollow stud on the fuel pump, it was made up and does not use a banjo fitting like the originals use.
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:28 AM   #4
36tbird

Alan, isn't that just like returning the oil to the pan like stock? With your set up, do you have the little brass fitting going into the filter that just takes a portion of the oil to filter?
36tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:50 PM   #5
Mike in AZ

have heard of one head running warmer than other....are those gauges mechanical??....maybe try a mechanical gauge in each gauge for temps??....or handheld infrared temp. gun??....Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote