Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-04-2022, 06:00 PM   #1
shew01

Default CB Radio Recommendation

I’m getting ready to travel to the Morgantown, PA, meet in June, and one of our club members recommended taking a CB radio because the old roads sometimes don’t have a lot of cell towers.

I have a leatherback Victoria; so, I’m think putting putting an antenna on the roof isn’t going to work.

I’ve seen a few Model A’s with antennas, but I didn’t think CB’s were all that popular. However, Amazon.com seems to have a lot of them for sale.

What are your thoughts about portable CB radio? maybe something like this?

Cobra HHRT50 Road Trip Cb Radio - Emergency Radio, Travel Essentials, 2-Way Handheld Black Radio with Rooftop Magnet Mount Antenna, NOAA Channels, Dual Watch & 40 Channel Access https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0794H67...ZJ6S28JHN1F82H

Is that useful? Or, do traditional CB’s work better?

Uniden PRO505XL 40-Channel CB Radio. Pro-Series, Compact Design. Public Address (PA) Function. Instant Emergency Channel 9, External Speaker Jack, Large Easy to Read Display. - Black https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B005ZLB0...NX6PAV1BT50TPS

Or, maybe something else is better?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 07:07 PM   #2
johnneilson

Default Re: CB Radio Recommendation

Generally speaking, the only detail to really watch out for is the output power on the transmitter. More power more range, most handhelds are 3 watts, most mobile units are 5 watts.
That said, antenna with largest gain also helps. You may see description of 1/4 wave or 5/8 wave, this is a function of antenna design.

The way I look at it is this, if I need the radio, I will be stopped so digging the eq out from a storage place is not that big of a deal. (I don't think a CB or HAM radio needs be mounted in Model A). A mag mount antenna can be placed on hood or deck lid when used.

FWIW, I carry both CB and HAM radios in truck when traveling through western states.
Both have mag mounts and quick power connectors in case I need them.

John

PS, I had the Cobra all in mic unit, worked well but I can't read the display anymore, just too small and too proud to carry a magnifying glass.
Old 05-04-2022, 08:21 PM   #3
shew01

I should have mentioned that I have a 6 volt positive ground car. Do the dash mount-style CB’s typically ground their their cases? That might be a good argument for a portable CB.

Old 05-04-2022, 08:38 PM   #4
Doug Linden

I think most Model A parts vendors sell the 6 to 12 volt power inverter made for 6 volt positive ground applications and that eliminates the 6 v pos ground to 12 v neg ground porblems.
Doug Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 08:39 PM   #5
shew01

I am hoping to install a 12 volt inverter and cigarette lighter outlet, but I haven’t gotten to that yet.

Old 05-04-2022, 08:40 PM   #6
shew01

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Linden View Post
I think most Model A parts vendors sell the 6 to 12 volt power inverter made for 6 volt positive ground applications and that eliminates the 6 v pos ground to 12 v neg ground porblems.

Sorry. I just saw your post.

Old 05-04-2022, 09:18 PM   #7
Harpkatt

If you do opt for a CB make sure you tune the antennae. It was drastically improve range.
Harpkatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 09:45 PM   #8
Stingray70

This doesn't answer your question but something to consider:

If you get a CB and then need it in a remote location, how likely is it you will find anyone listening in this day and age? CB have pretty limited range, especially low powered ones. A HAM or SSB will have better range, but again, who are you going to call?

You can rent a satellite telephone for your trip and probably spend the same as buying a mostly useless CB. Look online, lots of options
Old 05-05-2022, 12:32 AM   #9
Pete

If you stay near freeways a 40 channel class D CB will be fairly reliable calling for help. Almost all over the road trucks have them and near big cities believe it or not, there are still people that monitor channel 9, the help channel.
In most states, the highway patrol cars have CB also.

If you want to spend the time to get a ham license and a surplus 100 watt radio, it would be hard to travel anywhere on the USA public highway system and get out of range of a ham repeater.

Any mobile 2 way radio can be mounted in a model A so that NOTHING shows, not even the mic. Hiding the antenna requires some creative thinking but it has been done.

Most mobile radios of any type are 12 volt negative ground but that can be worked around if really necessary. Just be sure your inverter has at least TWICE the current capability of the load attached.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 05:07 AM   #10
shew01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray70 View Post
This doesn't answer your question but something to consider:

If you get a CB and then need it in a remote location, how likely is it you will find anyone listening in this day and age? CB have pretty limited range, especially low powered ones. A HAM or SSB will have better range, but again, who are you going to call?

You can rent a satellite telephone for your trip and probably spend the same as buying a mostly useless CB. Look online, lots of options

Thanks for the feedback. I had not considered a satellite telephone. This is interesting.

Old 05-05-2022, 05:09 AM   #11
shew01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
If you stay near freeways a 40 channel class D CB will be fairly reliable calling for help. Almost all over the road trucks have them and near big cities believe it or not, there are still people that monitor channel 9, the help channel.
In most states, the highway patrol cars have CB also.

If you want to spend the time to get a ham license and a surplus 100 watt radio, it would be hard to travel anywhere on the USA public highway system and get out of range of a ham repeater.

Any mobile 2 way radio can be mounted in a model A so that NOTHING shows, not even the mic. Hiding the antenna requires some creative thinking but it has been done.

Most mobile radios of any type are 12 volt negative ground but that can be worked around if really necessary. Just be sure your inverter has at least TWICE the current capability of the load attached.

Thanks for the info.

Old 05-05-2022, 06:53 AM   #12
shew01

Does anyone have any experience with something like these satellite devices? Do they have monthly fees like cell phones?

Garmin 010-01879-00 InReach Mini, Lightweight and Compact Satellite Communicator, Orange https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07CR7PL...KHCMJ329RQBZWA

ZOLEO Satellite Communicator – Two-Way Global SMS Text Messenger & Email, Emergency SOS Alerting, Check-in & GPS Location – Android iOS Smartphone Accessory https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07X59RH...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Old 05-05-2022, 08:45 AM   #13
Stingray70

Quote:
Originally Posted by shew01 View Post
Does anyone have any experience with something like these satellite devices? Do they have monthly fees like cell phones?

Garmin 010-01879-00 InReach Mini, Lightweight and Compact Satellite Communicator, Orange https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07CR7PL...KHCMJ329RQBZWA

ZOLEO Satellite Communicator – Two-Way Global SMS Text Messenger & Email, Emergency SOS Alerting, Check-in & GPS Location – Android iOS Smartphone Accessory https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07X59RH...ing=UTF8&psc=1

I haven't used either of those specifically but have used older similar devices. They are very neat devices. There is a monthly fee and usually a per message fee. You will have to research each option to get the real cost.

For me, I found that renting a phone and buying a small minutes package gave me the most flexibility and was worth the cost. I actually ended up buying a sat phone because I was using it several times per year. The locators like above, or the Spot Locator device will be smaller and lighter. The locators are simpler to use if you aren't tech savy. With a phone, you can have a conversation with a towing company or fellow Barn member if you need assistance. You can also use a phone for email/data but I doubt you need that for your trip.

Both the locators or phone options are nice because you don't need an inverter or any mods to your car. You can move them to any vehicle or take them hiking. I carry a small "emergency power bank" that will jump start a car and has USB ports for charging devices. It can be recharged when you stop for the night.

Let us know what you decide to do and how it works on your trip. Technology is always changing. We are planning a long trip in the Model A this fall and I need to think about the same things.
Old 05-05-2022, 10:53 AM   #14
Jordan

I have a CB in all 3 of my Model A's. They are mostly useful for when touring with other Model A's. We use them to communicate and stay in touch on the road, and can be fun to motormouth along the way.

I have all 3 mounted and hardwired into the car's electrical system with an antenna mounted on the back bumper. If you use a handheld unit, you will not have the range required to talk to other motorist. Some of our members have tried this and it has not worked for them.
Old 05-05-2022, 01:43 PM   #15
shew01

Quote:
I haven't used either of those specifically but have used older similar devices. They are very neat devices. There is a monthly fee and usually a per message fee. You will have to research each option to get the real cost.

For me, I found that renting a phone and buying a small minutes package gave me the most flexibility and was worth the cost. I actually ended up buying a sat phone because I was using it several times per year. The locators like above, or the Spot Locator device will be smaller and lighter. The locators are simpler to use if you aren't tech savy. With a phone, you can have a conversation with a towing company or fellow Barn member if you need assistance. You can also use a phone for email/data but I doubt you need that for your trip.

Both the locators or phone options are nice because you don't need an inverter or any mods to your car. You can move them to any vehicle or take them hiking. I carry a small "emergency power bank" that will jump start a car and has USB ports for charging devices. It can be recharged when you stop for the night.

Let us know what you decide to do and how it works on your trip. Technology is always changing. We are planning a long trip in the Model A this fall and I need to think about the same things.

I really like the idea of a satellite phone since it’s newer technology. However, the other Model A’s going on the trip will have CB’s or two way radios—can the satellite phone communicate with either of those?

Old 05-05-2022, 01:52 PM   #16
shew01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
I have a CB in all 3 of my Model A's. They are mostly useful for when touring with other Model A's. We use them to communicate and stay in touch on the road, and can be fun to motormouth along the way.

I have all 3 mounted and hardwired into the car's electrical system with an antenna mounted on the back bumper. If you use a handheld unit, you will not have the range required to talk to other motorist. Some of our members have tried this and it has not worked for them.

You make some good points. I would mostly be communicating with other Model A’s on our group.

Old 05-05-2022, 01:58 PM   #17
Stingray70

Quote:
Originally Posted by shew01 View Post
I really like the idea of a satellite phone since it’s newer technology. However, the other Model A’s going on the trip will have CB’s or two way radios—can the satellite phone communicate with either of those?

I guess I misunderstood what you were wanting. I thought you were traveling in just one car and wanted a way to call for assistance if necessary. If you are going to be in a group and just want to talk between cars then a CB or FRS radio would be better. FRS radios are cheap, small, and very portable. They are the easiest thing to use for short range communications. I use mine when traveling with a group of cars.
https://www.amazon.com/Motorola-T100...s%2C405&sr=1-3
Old 05-05-2022, 02:20 PM   #18
Stingray70

It is interesting to consider how many options and technologies we have available for something like this. When our cars were new no one would have dreamed any of this was possible. Not even science fiction!

That is one thing I love about these old cars. They remind us of how vastly the world was less than 100 years ago.
Old 05-05-2022, 05:19 PM   #19
shew01

Quote:
I guess I misunderstood what you were wanting. I thought you were traveling in just one car and wanted a way to call for assistance if necessary. If you are going to be in a group and just want to talk between cars then a CB or FRS radio would be better. FRS radios are cheap, small, and very portable. They are the easiest thing to use for short range communications. I use mine when traveling with a group of cars.
https://www.amazon.com/Motorola-T100...s%2C405&sr=1-3

Sorry, I probably wasn’t clear. Short term, I’m planning for the trip from Virgina to Morgantown, PA, with some other Model A cars, but I’m also looking toward a bucket list trip on Route 66, hopefully from Chicago to California in a few years. I’m also hoping to drive the car to other national meets between now and the bucket list trip. So, I’m open to any technology, and I’m hoping not to have to buy one of each. ;-)

Old 05-05-2022, 05:23 PM   #20
shew01

Default CB Radio Recommendation

Quote:
That is one thing I love about these old cars. They remind us of how vastly the world was less than 100 years ago.
I agree. I’m still surprised about how many of us have become so attached to our smart phones. Not too many years ago, I always took a laptop on a trip and hunted for WiFi at hotels and restaurants. I haven’t done that for a while now. The iPhone does most of what I need whenever/wherever I need it. It’s a much “smaller” world now than it was a hundred years ago.