Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-11-2015, 08:04 PM   #1
29er

Default Starter Drive

I'm going to replace the "modern" starter drive with the original-type on my '29 coupe and have a few questions:

(1) Do any of the vendors make one that's better than the others? The one I recently purchased was manufactured in India.

(2) How tight should the bendix spring bolts be on the shaft? The Service Bulletins just say "tight".

(3) Many of the vendors sell what some call "shims" and other call gaskets that fit between the starter and the flywheel housing. The Service Bulletins say to leave this off. Any thoughts?

(4) Other tips are welcomed!

Many thanks..
29er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 10:03 PM   #2
Pmsqrd

Default Re: Starter Drive

Call Steve at Bert's. He will stock and sell the best if there more than 2 suppliers.
Pmsqrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 09:41 AM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

The bolt with the pin tip goes in the very end of the shaft. Make the bolts good and hand tight, then bend the locking tab tight to the flat side. The other washer tab fits into the gap in the spring loop. I've never had a problem with an original Bendix drive. Be sure the tiny pin and spring by the pinion are free and have a drop of oil on them.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 06:57 PM   #4
29er

Thanks! After calling around to some of the vendors, most of them carry the same foreign-made starter drive.

Thanks, Tom, for the tips!

Mike

By the way, just for future reference here's an old thread on starter drives:

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...=starter+drive

Last edited by 29er; 04-12-2015 at 07:06 PM.
Old 04-13-2015, 01:12 PM   #5
johnbuckley

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29er View Post
...Many of the vendors sell what some call "shims" and other call gaskets that fit between the starter and the flywheel housing. The Service Bulletins say to leave this off. Any thoughts?....
The Service Bulletin for April (1928?) (page 238 if you have the same edition as me ) explains the necessary use of the shims on the early ( Abell ) starters. The September ('28) (page 284)introduces the "New Service Starting Unit" and say "when installing do not place shims between starting motor and flywheel housing".
johnbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 08:20 PM   #6
29er

John B: Thanks! Of course I see now the reference to the early starters. I will leave off the gasket.

Mike
Old 04-13-2015, 09:39 PM   #7
BILL WILLIAMSON

By the way, with the original starter drive, the occasional "ACCIDENTAL" starter drive "lock up", can be minimized by brushing the flywheel teeth with HEAVY wheel bearing grease.
Bill W.
Old 04-13-2015, 10:59 PM   #8
29er

Hi Bill:

Good thought. I thought of that too, but in another thread I talk about having to tap the ring gear back into place because it was banging on the flywheel housing when I depressed the clutch pedal. In that thread, Tom Endy suggested the new ring gears don't fit onto the flywheel properly and are loose frequently enough that they need to be pinned to the flywheel.

Soooo, I'm thinking too much grease on the ring gear may eventually seep between the already-loose ring gear and flywheel and make the situation even worse. Maybe, as you say, HEAVY wheel bearing grease won't migrate between the gear and the flywheel (?). Maybe just brushing the pinion gear on the starter drive?

In that thread, someone suggested using penetrating Loctite 290 between the flywheel and ring gear to help hold them together. I'll try that.

Thanks for your thoughts.

By the way, how's the drought situation down your way?

Mike in Oregon
Old 04-14-2015, 12:24 AM   #9
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29er View Post
Hi Bill:

Good thought. I thought of that too, but in another thread I talk about having to tap the ring gear back into place because it was banging on the flywheel housing when I depressed the clutch pedal. In that thread, Tom Endy suggested the new ring gears don't fit onto the flywheel properly and are loose frequently enough that they need to be pinned to the flywheel.

Soooo, I'm thinking too much grease on the ring gear may eventually seep between the already-loose ring gear and flywheel and make the situation even worse. Maybe, as you say, HEAVY wheel bearing grease won't migrate between the gear and the flywheel (?). Maybe just brushing the pinion gear on the starter drive?

In that thread, someone suggested using penetrating Loctite 290 between the flywheel and ring gear to help hold them together. I'll try that.

Thanks for your thoughts.

By the way, how's the drought situation down your way?

Mike in Oregon
Mike,
I "think" centrifugal force would eliminate the chance for getting grease between the ring gear & the flywheel. Also, with grease on the teeth, IF it ever DID lock, it unlocks EASIER, when you rock the car, in gear.
We had a fair rain here recently, BUT not enough to do much.
Bill W.