Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-27-2016, 10:32 PM   #1
DougVieyra

Default "Glassic / replicars" 1931 Ford Model A - 1966-1981

Today the Ford-Sanctioned SHAY replica of the '29 Ford Model A (mostly roadsters) is fairly well known. Between 1979 and 1982 5,000 SHAYs were built of the 10,000 projected, before 125 lawsuits, 10 million dollars of debt, and Bankruptcy ended production.

What is less known is that from 1966 through 1981 there was another (non-Ford sanctioned) imitation of the Model A, and an alternative to the SHAY. Like the SHAY, it too was a modern drive chain/chassis with a fibreglass body that imitated the Model A. SHAY was made to look like the '29 A Roadster, while GLASSIC was meant to imitate the '31 A Phaeton.

GLASSIC / RELICARS ; Approximately 1600 fiberglass-bodied replicas of 1931 Model A Fords were made by the Glassic Company in West Palm Beach Florida. They were manufactured between about 1966 and 1981. at first using International Scout four-cylinder engines and chassis. changing in 1972 to Mustang 302 cubic inch V-8 engines and specially built frames.

Most of the cars were Phaeton body style. but there were some Roadsters and only three pickup trucks built. The company changed their name to Replicars in 1975. so later models used that name. although the name "Glassic" is used as a generic term for both nameplates.

Glassic replicas are sometimes confused with Shay replicas. The Shay replicas more closely resemble the actual Model A (it had Ford Motor Company endorsement), whereas the Glassics were modified a little in appearance (it did not have endorsement from Ford Motor Comapny) to be more practical for contemporary driving. The Shay replicas used Pinto 4-cylinder engines. and consisted mostly of rumble-seat Roadsters and Roadster pickup trucks. Glassics can be identified by their wider doors and more contemporary 14 inch or 15 inch wheels.

Classic Motor Car Company. Inc. (West Palm Beach. FL) (1964) Name used until October. 1972
Glassic Motors of Palm Beach. Inc. (1973) (Palm Beach. FL) Name used between October. 1972 and July. 1975
Replicars. Inc. (1975) (West Palm Beach. FL) Name used from the last half of 1975 until production ended.
The cars are referred to interchangably as Glassics. and as being made by Replicars. It appears that the name Replicars was used in the last few years of production. Ownership of the company changed hands at least once during its lifetime.

Last edited by DougVieyra; 05-27-2016 at 11:03 PM.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 02:20 PM   #2
pgerhardt

Default Re: "Glassic / replicars" 1931 Ford Model A - 1966-1981

Nice article. Was there a question?

BTW I like the Shay roadsters better. To my eye the Glassics only slightly resemble a model A, while the Shays are replicas (especially if you put some real model A parts on it).
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 02:23 PM   #3
briphaeton

They are great for older club members who have a problem driving a stock A. Enables them to still participate.
briphaeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 03:03 PM   #4
Roadster62

Whatever they cost to buy today you would be better off placing your money in a wood stove and putting a match to it, at least you'll stay warm for a while.Bob
Old 05-28-2016, 03:29 PM   #5
Keith True

A few years ago I looked at a Shay and a Glassic side by side.The quality of the Shay had it hands down over the Glassic.Also,when I think of looking at those cars that day the name Camelot comes to mind.Did Camelot make an A copy too?I know of an A roadster pickup we all call a Shay.I've never looked at it close,maybe it's a Glassic and we are just calling it a Shay.I really don't know if Shay made roadster pickups.I've had a half dozen MGTD kitcars over the years,those things are more fun than a barrel of naked monkeys.I had a real one in the shed,but my wife preferred to ride in the plastic one,It rode better,and was 40 degrees cooler around the feet in the summer.Also,ANYBODY could drive it,I never had to go out and retrieve it after somebody flooded it at a store or ran the battery down because they caught the light switch with their sleeve.I also only had $3500.in a near perfect one.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 09:06 AM   #6
Capt Quahog

Location: Barren windswept mountain somewhere in bleak Northeastern Pennsylvania

Ugggh!

Remember back when some character would appear at an antique automobile meet and park one of those grotesque looking Glassic things in with the real Model A Fords. Usually the person/s would be politely asked to move it into the lot with the other modern cars.
Capt Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 09:31 AM   #7
Marshall V. Daut

I seem to recall a mid-1960's "Restorer" issue, in which one of the original magazine editors (Art Miller/Jim Ryner?) reviewed the newly-introduced Glassic in his editorial column. The normally staid and reserved editor was in favor of it!!! That upset me then and even thinking about it today 50+ years later gets my blood boiling all over again. Imagine - a magazine dedicated to preserving and/or restoring real Model A Fords was in favor of fake Model A's. I haven't read this bit of journalistic tripe in 30-40 years, even though when perusing old back issues of the "Restorer" over the intervening years I have come across it. I simply skip over it. Old grudges die hard. I don't know what the reaction was from the MAFCA membership in response to this support of fake Model A's because I wasn't a subscriber. I only saw the magazine occasionally after a subscribing friend was finished with it - if he remembered me at all. So, perhaps there were angry letters to the editor in follow-up issues of the "Restorer"? If there weren't, there SHOULD have been! It took me YEARS before I actually subscribed to the "Restorer" because of this stance by the editors.
If I remember correctly, the main thrust of the editorial proffered it was better to get people interested in the Model A hobby through the back door by offering a modern version for those people not mechanically inclined. That's quite short-sighted. My take then and now is a fake is a fake is a fake, no matter how you rationalize it. Once such things get into the "system", you'll never get them out. Just ask people who have put on antique car events how many times a Shay or Glassic owner made a big stink because he was not allowed to park his plastic fake among the REAL Model A's!
See? My dander is up all over again!
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 11:32 AM   #8
DougVieyra

It is amazing how we change - or do not change. Contrary to Marshall's experience, while I too denigrated the 'fake' Model A for all of my 50 years driving Model A's, more recently, as I age and become more enfeebled, the 'New Car' with the 'Old Body' has gained in appeal to me.

So now, I no longer snub them, and now give them a fairer look for what they are - a modern (well now 40 years old) car with a unique and classy body.
Old 05-29-2016, 11:44 AM   #9
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall V. Daut View Post
.....See? My dander is up all over again!
Marshall
Marshall, "Head and Shoulders" will take care of your dander.

I agree that the fakes do serve a purpose and are good for some.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 11:57 AM   #10
Marshall V. Daut

Doug -
Although I still have trouble accepting the Shay and Glassic Model A wanna-be's as separate but equal, I am not as upset with them anymore as I was/still am with the editor's attitude in that 1960's issue of the "Restorer". Simply inexcusable, considering his respectable and responsible position with MAFCA's magazine. Maybe I'm mellowing, too? I no longer walk by a parked Shay or Glassic and spit on the hood. Actually, I never have. I just made that up for effect.
Tom -
I haven't had a good dander-raising experience for quite a while, so I was about due for one. Now I won't have to get it up (my dander, that is!) for another 50+ years - or until I re-read that "Restorer" editorial again. NOT!
Marshall
Old 05-29-2016, 12:15 PM   #11
denis4x4

First time I saw a Glassic was on Victoria Island in BC where they were used as rentals for tourists. There are two Shay's in Durango that one sees out and about far more often than the stock A's that reside here.
Old 05-29-2016, 01:26 PM   #12
DougVieyra

5,000 SHAYs were made and only 1,600 GLASSICs. More than 3 times more Shays than Glassics, so it is understandable that SHAYs dominate both the frequency of sight, and the discussion about replica Model A's. In my town of Eureka, Calif. there are four Shays running around town, but not a single Glassic.

Having never owned or driven one, I can't say which is better built, or which is better as a driver. But shear numbers indicate that the Shay, like the real Ford Model A that it imitated, has significantly outlasted the competition.
Old 05-29-2016, 05:47 PM   #13
Barry B./ Ma.

I believe that the Camelot is a carry over of the Shay, I don't think there were many made. I had heard that an agreement was made at the time with Ford that no parts on the Shay would interchange with the real Model A. That makes sense to me hence the odd looking tail lights, wheels and some other parts. In my estimation they look pretty good with some present repro parts installed on them. Shay did make a look alike roadster pickup and of course the 55 Thunderbird, I have an original Shay color brochure listing the models that were available.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 09:34 PM   #14
Brad in Germany

I prefer the Branford Model A imitation in the UK:

Click here for their web page.

Fordially,
Brad in Maryland
Brad in Germany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 02:03 AM   #15
DougVieyra

Brad in Germany, post # 15: "I prefer the Branford Model A imitation in the UK:"

Below is a description of the car, and below that description is another replica car that the same company is also selling.

Badsworth Wedding Car in Black & Ivory WITH NO RESERVE very popular bridal car earning £350 and above Cream Interior and black carpets RUNS ON 1600 FORD PINTO mot until 4th August 2014 car can be viewed in Swansea contact Chris 07968786699
CASH ON COLLECTION OR INTERNET TRANSFER MUST BE COLLECTED 48 HRS AFTER END OF AUCTION NUMBER PLATE NOT INCLUDED IN THE SALE. ADVERTISED ELSEWHERE THEREFORE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO END SOON
HAPPY BIDDING
Also published at eBay.co.uk
£18,500 Pounds

OR - you could (for 20,000 pounds) go up-scale:

Chester Rolls - Silver & Black 4 Door Beauford
The time has now come to sell my last wedding car and concentrate on retirement. Here is the reluctant sale of my silver & black 4 door Beauford. I have owned this car for a number of years and this has always been my most popular wedding car. easily achieving £380 per wedding.
From experience of owning 2 door beaufords in the past. I have found the 4 door beaufords a far better option for both the driver and the bride. So I spent a long time looking for the right one. then I found this one. It was professionally built by Beauford Cars back in 2008. at the same time the car passed its SVA and I have plenty of paperwork and previous MOT's to back this all up. Please find below a more detailed description of the car.
I will start with the exterior; it is in good overall condition. a couple of scratches around the car as you would expect but nothing major. The hood is in superb condition and the bodywork polishes up really well.
The Interior was replaced a couple years ago professionally by A. J Pickerings and the interior is still in great condition. I also decided at the time to replace the wood cappings. so they too are in great condition.
Mechanically the car is great; I have always kept all my cars in good mechanical order. the last thing you want is to break down on a wedding. The car is fitted with ultra reliable 1. 8 Ford Pinto engine with a manual gearbox. I have recently changed the battery. starter motor and clutch. I welcome any potential buyer to have a look at the car underneath at a local garage.
This is one the finest Beauford's on the market. The car is the ideal starter or addition to a wedding car business. Or even for your own pleasure. shows. Sunday driving etc. Obviously you are more than welcome to come and view the car do any vehicle checks etc you may want to do.

So it is that the UK also produces custom build replica cars. A GOOGLE search will provide plenty of photos of the above two cars - and a lot more. - Doug Vieyra

Last edited by DougVieyra; 05-30-2016 at 02:14 AM.
Old 05-30-2016, 08:54 AM   #16
burner31

Glassic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 56_6620_1931_FORD_GLASSIC PHAETON_9.jpg (79.9 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg br2pg4large.jpg (97.8 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg ebay687038.jpg (63.0 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg images (1).jpg (3.1 KB, 179 views)
File Type: jpg images.jpg (3.6 KB, 178 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3164.jpg (74.9 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg maxresdefault.jpg (42.3 KB, 38 views)
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 09:07 AM   #17
burner31

Shay
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 29ml22.jpg (98.7 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg ab63938c5ea517788e87c4e82dcfcb6c.jpg (157.8 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg ebay1004717.jpg (70.5 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC8853.jpg (78.5 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg images.jpg (7.1 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg a0c8da3c.jpg (88.8 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg medium_1980_shay_model_a_roadster_2_door_coupe_1a4a9068b4.jpg (100.7 KB, 40 views)
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 01:26 PM   #18
DougVieyra

Thanks Keith - photos really are worth a thousand words !
Old 05-31-2016, 08:38 AM   #19
Charlville

I almost bought a Shay before I saw the light and bought my Sport Coupe. What really brought the difference home was when I visited Volo on one of our trips to the States and was able to do a side by side comparison. The real thing is far more attractive, even my Wife agreed so it musst be right? Clich here to take a look for yourselves
Sporadic progress on My 1929 Sport Coupe can be found here along with my blog
http://automotiveamerican.com/
Charlville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 09:20 AM   #20
Marshall V. Daut

forever4 -
I don't have TIME to collect Rolex watches. Ha, ha, ha!
Marshall