Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-02-2010, 07:53 PM   #1
Forditude

Default Wire Wheels, 26/27 T VS AR Model A

Can anyone tell me the difference between the late Model T Wire wheels and the early Model A (AR) Wheels? Thanks for the help on this. Jay
Forditude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:34 PM   #2
tmodelman

Default Re: Wire Wheels, 26/27 T VS AR Model A

Don't know there is a 'late' T wire wheel. All I have seen are the same Dixie cup cone shaped hub, and 5" bolt circle.

The T wire front hub is different than the A, the T wire hub long extension with the taper nose fits into the outer part of the T wire wheel, to secure the leverage of the wheel. The T wire wheel does not simply bolt to the hub flange like brake drum wheel would do.

Sometimes even powder coating that inside of the wheel will make it hard to fit on the hub. You have to grind or sand out the thick coating to get the wheel to go on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Red wire wheel close up web.jpg (37.1 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg wire wheel hub.jpg (58.9 KB, 57 views)
tmodelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 07:15 PM   #3
BUBBAS IGNITION

Ts are 5 inch bolt circle and the A's are 5 1/2...
A wheels have a outward dimple between the spokes and the Ts are smooth.
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 09:25 PM   #4
Forditude

Thank you both for the education. Jay
Forditude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 12:55 AM   #5
Username

There is also these 'Buffalo' wire wheels for Model T Fords...they seem to bolt to the standard hubs,and not have the 5 mounting stud holes on each rim,like the late Model T wire wheels?(Late Model T wire wheels...as in wire wheels from the 1926-1927 Model T Fords).
Not sure if the Buffalo wire wheels were a Ford option? Or if they were just an aftermarket accessory though?

Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 07:23 AM   #6
jimTN

A wheels have a sort of scolloped appearance when looked at from the inside and T wheels are smooth on the inside.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 08:00 AM   #7
Jack Innes

A wheels have a deeper "dish" that fits against the drum than AR wheels - both have the diamond shaped dimple between each bolt hole. Ford T wire wheels have the smooth hub as described & will not fit on a model A.

There were many suppliers of aftermarket wheels like the Buffalo wheels pictured above. Some fit the original hubs but most had their own hubs with some sort of quick change capability. Right now, new wire wheels are available from McLaren Manufacturing for about $3000 a set. These bolt directly to the wood wheel hubs & look & work very well. They come in 30 X 3/12, 30 X 3, and 21" sizes.

McLaren Wheels below;
Attached Images
File Type: jpg McLarenWheelssmall.jpg (9.8 KB, 469 views)
Jack Innes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:25 PM   #8
t42

I posted this same question to the AACA Forum and got differing viewpoints. The only difference between the 26/27 T and the early 28 AR wheel is the hubcap diameter. The wheels are identical (no diamond between the bolt holes, and identical bolt circles). I have a beautiful set of AR wheels bolted to my 27 T chassis. I too was curious about the wheels because 26/27 hubcaps would not attach to the wheel.
26/27 wheels have a 2.5 inch hubcap opening and AR wheels have a 2.75 inch opening. Hubs and drums on the AR are very similar to the 27 T. It all changed in June of 28 when the emergency brake caused wheel design changes. AR items started to be phased out and the Model A was redesigned. I thought that it might have been possible for some of the AR wheels to have been installed on late T autos.
My late 27 chassis was unaltered, according to the owner, and came with the AR wheels.
Hope this helps.
Skip
t42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:58 AM   #9
Jack Innes

"The wheels are identical (no diamond between the bolt holes, and identical bolt circles). I have a beautiful set of AR wheels bolted to my 27 T chassis. I too was curious about the wheels because 26/27 hubcaps would not attach to the wheel."

Skip,

I think your T must have T whels on it. Perhaps they are odd ones.
Or your car may have adapting plates to allow the use of A wheels. AR & A wheels all have the diamond reinforcement between the bolt holes. More importantly the T wheels have a 5 in. diameter bolt pattern while the AR & A are both 5 1/2 in. diameter. The AR wheels are meant to locate & be supported by the brake drum area - the T has no front drums.

Could you post picture?

Below is a picture of a T hub to A wheel adaptor
Attached Images
File Type: jpg adapter.jpg (33.6 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg adapte r.jpg (30.0 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by Jack Innes; 07-07-2010 at 09:07 AM.
Jack Innes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 01:11 PM   #10
t42

Jack,

I am still searching for answers on my wheels. Check out the AACA Forum in the Model T section and scroll down to the 26/27 wire wheel question. There are some hobbiests that believe that I have a rare set of AR wheels. If there are any early AR's out there with 5-inch bolt circles on their hubs, then I would know for sure what I have. The AR wheels also used 26/27 lug nuts and a special hubcap that was 2.75-inches in diameter(and only made for 6 months). Snyder's also believes that these could be early AR wheels.
The search goes on.
Any AR Owners out there have any opinions?
Thanks for the info.
Skip
Old 07-07-2010, 02:47 PM   #11
DSW3

I've responded to Skip's query on this subject on a previous thread on the MTFCA forum. So I will do so here as well.

To reiterate.....I had a '27 coupe that had a larger than standard hubcap opening on all 5 of the 26/27 wire wheels on the car. This car had the AR type caps on it when I got it.

These were MODEL T WHEELS (5" bolt circle) on standard MODEL T WIRE WHEEL HUBS, NOT typical Model A wheels. Again, the only variation from standard Model T wheels was that the opening for the hub cap was larger.

There were no imperfections in the hub cap opening that would have likely occured had someone ground the opening larger to accept the AR type caps.

This was a late (Mar. 1927, #14,829,xxx) car that was, other than mechanicals and a few other items, unrestored.
DSW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 07:44 PM   #12
t42

Thanks again DSW3
Since you responded to my previous MTFCA forum months ago, I have talked to two other T owners that have the same wheels that we have. Late in the '27 production run some autos must have had these larger diameter hubcap wheels installed.
Does anyone out there own a 1927 assembled AR Model A? They supposedly had special hubs and wheels. And if they did, are the bolt circles 5-inch and was the rear brake hub a carryover from the 27 Model T?

Skip
Old 08-09-2010, 10:58 PM   #13
'29wagon

so i guess what i've got up for sale are specified as "AR" or late T , who knows for sure but they are a bolt pattern of five on four and seven eights inches, are these a not so desired wheel for T restorers ? they will not fit my model A hub or bolt pattern which is five in five and a half. and now i'm told there is another fit in that transition time as well , or not so well .
'29wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:23 PM   #14
'29wagon

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth... <br /> t=9851http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10310

Last edited by '29wagon; 08-10-2010 at 12:46 AM. Reason: who knows .
'29wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 06:30 AM   #15
Cadillac Bill

Confused. I have a 26/27. Will a '28 Model A wheel will fit my T?
Cadillac Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 07:42 AM   #16
Robert/Texas

There should not be any confusion. I have a '27 Touring with original wire wheels and an early '28 pickup. There is no way that these wheels are interchangeable.
Robert/Texas is offline   Reply With Quote