Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-13-2021, 11:43 AM   #1
OldGold360

Default '35-'36 Pickup Hood Hinge

I have been trying to find the answer to this question I have regarding the center hood hinge on my 1936 pickup.

Were these hinges chrome?

Mine is original and it looks like it was plated though not much left. If it wasn't, what keeps the paint from failing during use. I would image the way the hinge is designed that the paint would get rubbed when opening and closing the hood.

Thanks for the help.
OldGold360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 11:59 AM   #2
Don Rogers

Default Re: '35-'36 Pickup Hood Hinge

The hinges were chrome.
Don Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 12:21 PM   #3
OldGold360

Perfect, thank you Don Rogers.
Old 01-14-2021, 10:57 AM   #4
OldGold360

Has anybody ever removed and chrome plated the original hinge, and re-spotwelded it in place after chrome. I have heard mixed reviews regarding the aftermarket stainless hinges and I am considering removing the hinge from my hood to have chromed.
Old 01-14-2021, 12:33 PM   #5
Don Rogers

Most of the after market hinges are junk. Make sure that the holes in the hinge are the same number as the hood and line up with the hood holes.
Don Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 02:21 PM   #6
OldGold360

Thanks Don. I think I’m going to remove the original hood hinge by drilling out the spot welds, fill the holes that were made by drilling out the spot welds, chrome plate the hinge and then spot weld the hinge back in place.

Thoughts?
Old 01-15-2021, 12:32 AM   #7
nelsb01

It can be done. I found a NOS hinge many years ago and used it on my 1936 pickup hood. I also drilled off the spot welds, but did not fill all the holes until it was rechromed and installed, as we used the holes to line up the hinge with the hood panels.
Check your hinge fit after being chromed as the process can add just enough material to make the hinge not slide together correctly and that is easier to fix when not welded to the hood panels.
nelsb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 01:44 PM   #8
OldGold360

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsb01 View Post
It can be done. I found a NOS hinge many years ago and used it on my 1936 pickup hood. I also drilled off the spot welds, but did not fill all the holes until it was rechromed and installed, as we used the holes to line up the hinge with the hood panels.
Check your hinge fit after being chromed as the process can add just enough material to make the hinge not slide together correctly and that is easier to fix when not welded to the hood panels.

These hoods already have holes with raised shoulders to located the hinges, or at least mine does.

I have removed the hinges and cleaned up their flanges. I plan to send them off to chrome on Monday. Is there anything special about the chrome that was on these hinges. I do worry about build up with copper or were these chromed without copper? Any recommendations on knowledgeable platers familiar with these old Fords?

Thanks
Old 01-27-2021, 05:57 PM   #9
Model51

I too have drilled the rivets and removed both hinges. I am planning only to chrome plate one of the hinge halves for two reasons. First, only one of them has the external exposure while the other is invisible with the hood closed. Second, the one that's not exposed is rather pitted and I plan to use body filler and paint on that one as chrome plated pitted metal just doesn't look good in my eyes.
If anyone thinks I'm heading for trouble, please let me know. I have to fill a few small holes in the hinge before sending it off for plating. After several rounds of sanding and polishing, the center hood hinge is back and ready for plating. The attached image is what the top exposed edge of the hinge looks like now.
I plan to spot weld the hinges back in place and paint the interior surfaces body color. This should result in a bright center strip on the hood like it came from Ford originally.
Comments?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hood Center Hinge Bare Metal.jpg (36.2 KB, 41 views)
Model51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 12:47 AM   #10
OldGold360

I’m glad to see you’re taking the time to restore your hinge. My only concern with a painted inside hinge is if the hinge operation will eventually wear they the paint, exposing the steel and eventually rust. I could be completely wrong here though. I plan to have my hinge plated but I’ve only received one quote so far and they wanted $300. That seems high to me. Anybody know of any good chrome shops that have reasonable rates?
Old 01-28-2021, 09:00 AM   #11
Model51

OldGold360 you make a good point for chroming both parts. I had not considered the point about rust forming on the inside half of what I wasn't going to plate. I can scuff and paint the pitted parts that will show on that part and with it being chromed it won't rust. I was just concentrating on what someone would see. Thanks for saving me some future aggravation, this is making a bit more sense to me why they were originally chrome plated.
I'm going to be shopping around at several locations. I'm not surprised at the price you were quoted though I hope I can find a quality job for a smaller price.
Old 01-28-2021, 11:40 AM   #12
SSsssteamer

I painted my chromed hood hinge as the plating was tacky. So far, no paint scuffing and it looks good. Time will tell how the paint holds up. Chrome shop prices have gone crazy high. I had 1936 front bumper guards chromed and I had what I though was all buffed up and ready for the chroming tanks. His best price was $100 each. Ouch!
SSsssteamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 05:41 PM   #13
OldGold360

Yes, chrome prices are high, at least in my area. If anyone knows a chrome shop that does nice work at an affordable price, please let us know.
Old 01-08-2023, 03:14 PM   #14
OldGold360

I’m finally getting back to this and shopping around with reputable chrome shops. Prices have gone up on everything, chrome is no exception. Ogden Chrome wants $800 for restoration quality chrome on the hood hinge. That’s nuts! Does anybody have any good but fair chrome platers they’d recommend?
Old 01-08-2023, 05:52 PM   #15
art ebeling

Pm sent
art ebeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 09:35 PM   #16
Lawson Cox

Somewhere in the dark recesses of my mind, or what's left of it, I remember reading somewhere that very few pickup hood hinges were chromed. I know mine are not, and obviously never have been. Lawson

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 10:16 PM   #17
Model51

The Ford engineering parts drawing for the hood hinge for 1935 and 1936 truck and pickups specifies chromium plating, so if you want a correct finish, it should be chromium plated. The "silver" finish this provides is close to the polished stainless steel hinge brackets (one on the radiator and one on the cowl) so it all matches and looks good.

I was reluctant to spot weld my hinge back onto the hood hinges because of the chance of messing up the plating finish with the spot welding heat.

I welded up the holes I drilled to remove the hinge from the hood tops. I decided to use short small diameter stainless steel flat head machine screws in new holes I drilled in the hood top flange and through the hinge. I'm using a small nut on the other side with anti-lock. With a counter sunk hole, the screw top isn't very noticeable. The nut on the hinge side protrudes a bit, but life is all about compromises. This way I can paint the hood tops and then assemble the hinge on each side.

I had no issues with the thickness of the plating interfering with the hinge sliding together and operating smoothly with one exception. I have to be very careful with one end which binds slightly unless the curl of the two parts of the hinge at the radiator end are not in perfect alignment. With a bit of tweaking, it works perfectly.

With regard to the plating cost, I spent a long time polishing my hinge so that it was without any imperfection and mirror smooth. Paying to have the plater to this for you can be 75% of the "plating" cost. I got mine plated locally for $180 last year. The plater looked at the finish and said that the price reflected the good condition on the hinge so all he had to do was the plating part, no metal finishing.
Old 01-08-2023, 11:40 PM   #18
OldGold360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model51 View Post
With regard to the plating cost, I spent a long time polishing my hinge so that it was without any imperfection and mirror smooth. Paying to have the plater to this for you can be 75% of the "plating" cost. I got mine plated locally for $180 last year. The plater looked at the finish and said that the price reflected the good condition on the hinge so all he had to do was the plating part, no metal finishing.
Who did you use for the plating?
Old 01-10-2023, 01:04 PM   #19
Model51

Wayne's Chrome in Fredericksburg, VA