Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-23-2017, 02:59 PM   #1
deuce_roadster

Default Garage find 40 coupe

I am finally getting going on a car I bought in 2005. This car was bought by the previous owner in 1957 and sat in the same garage until I brought it home 12 years ago. It is a 67k mile 40 V8 (standard) coupe originally cloud mist gray. Previous owner pulled the freeze cracked engine out and did nothing else but spray lacquer primer on it and buy parts. I was NOT looking for another project car and would not have bought it except for what came with it. 2 sets of NOS fenders and NOS running boards, 2 NOS gas tanks, 5 NOS V8 grilles, pretty much anything you could buy new from a Ford dealer in 1957 including a NOS 59 series engine in a Ford crate. I have new gauges, trim, I built 2 complete steering boxes from NOS parts including the castings. (one is in my wagon as well as 1 set of the NOS front fenders). After stripping this car to bare metal I found it has NO dents, NO rust and NO filler on it anywhere, perfect rain gutters. There is lead at the factory seams. I etched the body, sealed it, and primed and blocked and shot the first coat of Cloud Mist Gray paint on it this summer. I like to put half the paint on the car, wet sand it and put the final coat on instead of shooting it all at once. I only am sharing this not to brag, but as some of you like to hear about these things, and there was a recent thread about another car where the previous owner bought 3 of everything, I am showing it is not a unique experience. I added another public album with some pictures of the car for those interested. I have rebuilt the trans and have a Columbia for it as well as Lincoln brakes. It will be my freeway cruiser with 15" radials. I have 1 restored car for the concourse and that is enough of that!
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 03:30 PM   #2
19Fordy

Default Re: Garage find 40 coupe

Goody gumdrop for you and CONGRATULATIONS.
Enjoy every mile with a smile.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 04:02 PM   #3
RalphM

Wow, that’s the way to start a project!
Sure beats starting with a basket case.
Make sure you post pics when it’s finished, have fun putting it together.
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 12:02 AM   #4
Mike in AZ

Heck, post pics now. Lol. Would love to see it and congrats on a great buy with all those extra goodies. Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 12:08 AM   #5
deuce_roadster

Mike, If you click on my avatar roadster it goes to my "User CP" and there you can click on "albums and pictures" I have several albums, if you click on "show all albums" you can look at pictures of several of my cars. I just put the 40 coupe album up today so it will be at the top. I will add pictures as the project continues. It don't know if I will get good enough weather here in the PNW to do any more painting before spring.
Old 10-24-2017, 06:41 AM   #6
buzz4041

Thanks for sharing. Very nice collection.
buzz4041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 07:05 AM   #7
corvette8n

Great job so far, you are very fortunate to have this piece of history.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 11:20 AM   #8
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in AZ View Post
Heck, post pics now. Lol. Would love to see it and congrats on a great buy with all those extra goodies. Mike
Here it is, ALL right here....click the link below! DD

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/album.php?albumid=4591

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 11:34 AM   #9
deuce_roadster

Thanks DD! I should have thought of posting a link to the album instead of how you get to it. I guess I am getting forgetful ( I am a retired IT Director)!
Old 10-24-2017, 04:34 PM   #10
fordcragar

Very cool story! Thanks for sharing with us.
fordcragar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 04:58 PM   #11
40 Deluxe

Wow! You're doing a great job! The best thing about this is that the car did not fall into the hands of a billet and bling obsessed check book hotrodder!
The second best thing is that you accurately described this as a "garage find" instead of using that brain dead phony "barn find" nonsense. A barn is a structure for housing farm animals and hay to feed them and sometimes storing farm machinery. It's not that often that an old car was stored away in a barn. It would just get in the way of farming operations. And, most often a barn did not even have an alleyway to park a car!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 05:28 PM   #12
APDAVE

Very Nice!! Dave
APDAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 10:08 AM   #13
FritzJr

Nice coupe! I realize that it is off topic, but do you have any more pictures or info that you would like to share about the 56/57 Corvette in the background.
FritzJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 11:29 AM   #14
deuce_roadster

Fritzjr, that is a "bucket list" car I have wanted since I was 12 years old that I just recently picked up. As a result I am selling the 40 Ford convertible in the background next to it as well as a 65 Malibu convertible (need room). I had the 40 convertible listed here in the swap meet section a while back as well as Autotrader classic, and Craigslist. I was disappointed to find the only contacts I had were from well known scammers. You know, "I am out of the country, my agent will transfer money into your paypal account (which they can cancel after the vehicle is loaded up and gone, as it is like a pending charge on your credit card) blah blah blah. Anyway, the car needs nothing parts wise, new engine and 4 speed, all chrome is redone,new glass, new upholstery and top, new gas tank and radiator, exhaust, brakes, wiring etc all I have to do is paint it and assemble. It will be black with silver coves. solid non crashed original body.
Since this is the Fordbarn, PM me your email address and I can send you pictures of the car and what came with it. Car came with 23k in receipts for parts, I got for 37k.
Old 10-25-2017, 04:35 PM   #15
corvette8n

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce_roadster View Post
Thanks DD! I should have thought of posting a link to the album instead of how you get to it. I guess I am getting forgetful ( I am a retired IT Director)!
Me too.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote