Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-22-2015, 08:24 AM   #41
5851a

Default Re: How to get rid of "barn smell"

Bought a car once that had more mice in it than a old corn crib. Guy delivered it on a trailer one hot August day with the windows rolled up, neither one of us could unload it for awhile. I cleaned every square inch, all interior out, cleaned washed and dried and still smelled. Took it to a auto detailing shop with a ozone generator, left it with them overnight. Don't recall the cost but 7 years later still no odor.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 08:26 AM   #42
Stew Masche

Ace hardware (and other stores) carry a product called Fresh Wave. Put a few containers of that in and give it a try.
Old 05-23-2015, 06:13 AM   #43
Ted Duke

Wear goggles, mask, gloves. Remove all dead mice, droppings, etc. Scrub what you can reach with bleach. Use an ionizer. type ionizer in your search engine to find one.

I bought a nice used car once that smelled so bad of cigar and ? that I was tempted to burn it. Used an ionizer overnight and next day and have never had a sniff of whatever it was again.
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 08:48 AM   #44
Bob-A

Thumbs up Re: How to get rid of "barn smell"

I keep glass pickle jars with the metal tops punched with holes. Full of mothballs and placed under the seats of my three old cars. I don't detect any mothball smell or have any problems with pests.

In reference to what Tom Wesenberg said. In my shop I sometimes leave
my original '31 deluxe roadster and '29 Chevrolet 2-dr coach parked side by side in it. Neither car has ever been actually restored. Just maintained to stay running. Both cars just ooze patenia. At times I'll walk into the building and just stand there enhaling all that beautiful historic
American automotive aroma! For real, it is indescribably delicious!

Bob-A
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 09:56 AM   #45
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5851a View Post
Bought a car once that had more mice in it than a old corn crib. Guy delivered it on a trailer one hot August day with the windows rolled up, neither one of us could unload it for awhile. I cleaned every square inch, all interior out, cleaned washed and dried and still smelled. Took it to a auto detailing shop with a ozone generator, left it with them overnight. Don't recall the cost but 7 years later still no odor.
An excellent solution! Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 11:25 AM   #46
SHEC

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I have found good success with the Arm & Hammer Baking soda refrigerator boxes. They cost about .25 cents each.

You open 3-4 of those baking soda guys and it absorbs the smell. It takes about a week or so..................

Good luck -

Be well -

SHEC
SHEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 02:12 AM   #47
Synchro909

We once stayed in a rented house where the refrigerator had broken down who knows how many weeks before. The contents were VERY ripe. A tray of coffee grounds cleared it in no time. Virtually no cost so give it a try and please let us know how it goes.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:11 PM   #48
CWilson

I removed the seat and backrest from the tuck for a day,and put them outside. Next day I walked out to the garage, and the smell was all but gone. Obviously the seats were the problem. Turned them upside down and sprayed the bottom sides of the seats where there was some foam and burlap, (just used fabreeze) until they were good and wet. Few days later I installed the seats back in the truck, next day went out to the garage, smell was gone. Thanks for all the advice.

Chris
CWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 10:49 AM   #49
redmodelt

Vinegar works on some things, like cat pee. I don't mind the vinegar smell so I would spray every inch of the car including the under and back side of the seats good. Check for color fastness first. Leave the car out in the sun doors open and seats out if you can let it air out.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 11:35 AM   #50
Rex_A_Lott

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmodelt View Post
Vinegar works on some things, like cat pee. I don't mind the vinegar smell so I would spray every inch of the car including the under and back side of the seats good. Check for color fastness first. Leave the car out in the sun doors open and seats out if you can let it air out.
I'm not sure about fresh vinegar straight out of the jug, but I've seen the havoc hot vinegar spewed out of a leaky radiator will cause...I wouldnt recommend it. It might cause rust and/or discoloration.
Rex_A_Lott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 03:21 PM   #51
redmodelt

"havoc hot vinegar spewed out of a leaky radiator will cause.." the reason to put vinegar in a radiator is to break down and dissolved rust and build up, so I guess HOT spewed would contain the that dissolved stuff would make a mess . Anything wet has the potential to cause rust and I have not seen any damage done to painted surfaces, yet. Vinegar sold in the store is only a 3% acid solution.
You will note I did say check for color fastness.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote