Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-25-2015, 12:28 PM   #1
CWilson

Default Big Mistake

I built a 30'x30' detatched garage at my house this past summer, specifically for my A. I did not insulate the garage thinking that I'd get to it some other time. (wife has been pushing me to finish the basement).

Now its below freezing daily, and I have a pile of new parts waiting to be installed, and I'm too soft to go out and wrench in sub freezing temps. The worst part is I can lay in bed, look out the window, and see my 30' sitting in the garage knowing its too cold to work on it. Drives me nuts.

I'd advise anyone building something similar to take the time and insulate and heat your accessory building while still under construction. Spring can't come soon enough...

Chris
CWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 12:32 PM   #2
edmondclinton
BANNED

Default Re: Big Mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWilson View Post
I built a 30'x30' detatched garage at my house this past summer, specifically for my A. I did not insulate the garage thinking that I'd get to it some other time. (wife has been pushing me to finish the basement).

Now its below freezing daily, and I have a pile of new parts waiting to be installed, and I'm too soft to go out and wrench in sub freezing temps. The worst part is I can lay in bed, look out the window, and see my 30' sitting in the garage knowing its too cold to work on it. Drives me nuts.

I'd advise anyone building something similar to take the time and insulate and heat your accessory building while still under construction. Spring can't come soon enough...

Chris

With a little work it can still be insulated.
edmondclinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 12:38 PM   #3
Rowdy
BANNED

Mine is insulated, but ran out of money for sheetrock for the walls and had to settle for on uninsulated door. I did have the money for sheetrock for the ceiling and insulated it as well. Now in order to rock the walls I have to move shelves etc as I install the sheetrock. Big hassle to say the least. Still need to get a better way to heat it to work in there, but am making progress. Rod
Old 01-25-2015, 12:39 PM   #4
Roger V

Insulating doesn't require the dexterity of working on your "A". Dress like a construction worker (Carhardt "sp.", etc.) and rent a salamander heater if you need that. I finished mine in twelve degrees.
Roger V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 01:08 PM   #5
CWilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger V View Post
Insulating doesn't require the dexterity of working on your "A". Dress like a construction worker (Carhardt "sp.", etc.) and rent a salamander heater if you need that. I finished mine in twelve degrees.

I absolutely would, and have a heater, but the wife has me finishing the basement now.
Old 01-25-2015, 01:10 PM   #6
Joe K

Mine is a work in progress. The shop attachment is insulated and sheet-rocked quite nicely - heated by a wood stove it makes for a MOST excellent Sunday afternoon when the snow falls.

The garage portion not so much. Basically bare studs/joists overhead.

I do have plans for continuation though. I recently removed a "used" hot air furnace from a house in Rye, NH that is being remodelled (aren't they all?) which was bought including oil tank/house full of duct for $150. 6 year old furnace. I think I stole it even though I was about a full day removing the equipment. (sweat-equity?)

But I have yet to insulate the garage.

The nearby farm I worked at for a while had their shop/garage "plywooded" inside on the walls and sheet-rocked on the ceiling. Thus one can attach easier to the walls. For me I don't think this will fly for "occupied" (read insured) dwellings - but as the garage/barn is considered an unattached outbuilding, I think this is considered acceptable?

As I say - a project in waiting...

Joe K
Old 01-25-2015, 01:32 PM   #7
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

My garage is insulted and plywooded...up to the rafters, then it's open. garage door is not a perfect fit but I seal it off with foam pipe insulators and then I start up a kerosene heater and within a hour I'm fine. To fiddle around like I do, it does the job.

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 01:57 PM   #8
mshmodela

I got last week a 23k BTU Kerosene Heater, Yes you have to be very very careful for gasoline fumes and CO (have CO detector in my Garage).

http://www.homedepot.com/p/DuraHeat-...A&gclsrc=aw.ds

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio

Last edited by mshmodela; 01-25-2015 at 07:50 PM.
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 02:05 PM   #9
31 Model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshmodela View Post
I got last week a 23k BTU Kerosene Heater, Yes you have to be very very careful for gasoline fumes and CO2 (have CO2 detector in my Garage).

http://www.homedepot.com/p/DuraHeat-...A&gclsrc=aw.ds
Same one I have...puts out a lot. There is an additive to the kerosene called Klean Strip Pine. Reduces smoke and kerosene orders. Reduces tar and carbon build up. Follows the directions.

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
Old 01-25-2015, 02:24 PM   #10
clo2jim

The detector should be CO - carbon monoxide but CO2 - carbon dioxide which is actually what you breath out when exhaling. The human body breaths in oxygen and breaths out CO2.

CO is non-detectable by your nose and poisonous and can only be measured by CO detector.

CO2 is not poisonous and is also a product of combustion but still can be dangerous if the oxygen level in the air gets below 18-19% and CO2 levels are high. Normal oxygen level is 20.9%

CO is produced when you do not have efficient combustion and you need detectors to measure, why houses need to have CO detectors if they are using furnaces that use a combustable fuel like wood, oil, propane, natural gas, kerosene, diesel. Wood is probably the least efficient fuel. All furnaces exhaust to the atmosphere to get rid of the combustion product such as CO2 and CO.
clo2jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 03:15 PM   #11
pooch

Sometimes I feel for you dudes in the up over..

Here down under, I have a workshop where I can work on my A and look out the door and see the Pacific ocean with a small island out there .

Snow for us is a novelty to behold when we drive to the alps.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 03:26 PM   #12
31 Model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooch View Post

Here down under, I have a workshop where I can work on my A and look out the door and see the Pacific ocean with a small island out there .

Do you have to keep an eye out for any King Browns in your area????

Old 01-25-2015, 04:04 PM   #13
Tom Wesenberg

I made the mistake of not putting up lots of shelf space before fill up the garage. It also needs insulation and a ceiling.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 04:29 PM   #14
Lawrie

The only trouble I have in my shed is sometimes around now its too humid ,but with the doors and windows open its OK,but never cold,
my shed is under our house and half set into the ground so its cool in summer and warm in winter,well what we call winter25C is winter here,summer 35C,
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 04:42 PM   #15
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWilson View Post
I absolutely would, and have a heater, but the wife has me finishing the basement now.
Obviously you need more advice than we can give you. It looks like a large part of your problem is matrimonial. Maybe time to sell or forget about the car until you get your home life in order, Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 04:46 PM   #16
Big hammer

Being a jack of all trades bites, doesn't leave you much time for yourself:-(
Heat rises so no ceilings BIG heat losses! Not so much losses thur walls
Big hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 05:19 PM   #17
ModelAMike1930

I cant wait for spring myself to work on my Model A Pickup I just purchased this year. I like to pull mine out on the patio which is part of my drive to get it in the daylight so I can see better.. I don't have enough room in my garage to do much work on the cars, and not enough land to have a bigger garage.
ModelAMike1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 05:39 PM   #18
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooch View Post

Whoa!! Wait a minute. I can see the Pacific Ocean with a small island out there!!

Snow is ~3 hours inland (in a modern car).
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 05:53 PM   #19
jrelliott

Luckily when we built this home, thought about insulation in the attached garage in both the walls (6" studs) and celling r-38. The garage is a 3 car width (32' by 38' deep). There is a wall between the garage and workshop with a double door for access. Have the workshop area heated with a baseboard electrical heater on a thermostat and a window air conditioner for summer. Thought about a few other items in the workshop: toilet, wash sink, 3 gallon electric water heater on a switch, lots of light, compressed air, dust collection and plenty of electrical outlets. Even though we live in Arizona, it does get below zero here in the mountains during the winter a few times each year. When in Minnesota had an insulated attached garage that I used one of the kerosene torpedo heaters and would get the chill off enough to work in the winter when necessary. When we built this house, did not want to mess with kerosene and the smell. This is our last home so put about everything we could think of we wanted. Only missed a couple of things that could be better.
jrelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 06:03 PM   #20
CWilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by C26Pinelake View Post
Obviously you need more advice than we can give you. It looks like a large part of your problem is matrimonial. Maybe time to sell or forget about the car until you get your home life in order, Wayne
I'm still in my 30's, but one thing I've leaned about marriage is negotiation. I got to build the garage, she gets the basement finished. I can live with that. I just wish I'd insulated and finished the inside of the garage first! I was so tired from building my detached by myself (except help hanging trusses) that I was ready for a break. Should have just bit the bullet and insulated...

Chris