Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-30-2014, 10:17 AM   #1
c. sefton

Default Drum Taillight

I am looking for a complete passenger side drum taillight assembly for early 29 pick up without the attached license plate bracket, does anyone know of vendor who might sell them. Thanks fellow Barner's
Old 06-30-2014, 10:42 AM   #2
Joe K

Default Re: Drum Taillight

As the original drum lights were only applied to the vehicle's driver's side (it being a single tail-light era) I don't think you'll necessarily find any original drums without the extended license plate brackets (or the glass window in the bottom of the drum housing to light up the plate.) The structure of the drum tail-light includes the circular mounting for the drum light body as part of the license bracket of course.

The drums have been very nicely reproduced by a single supplier, of course. (A&L Specialities in CT IIRC) and are now carried by any of the major parts suppliers.

Snyder's offers both a right and a left version, but they're curiously non-descriptive regarding the actual light - one would assume that a right handed version would be minus the license plate bracket and window - otherwise why bother to differentiate?

But maybe best to check with them?

Another solution I will be opting for in my pickup will be to provide tail-lights attached to the bed side boards. A simple angle iron standoff with (later era but I have surplus) teacup lights attached one for each side? This will save me from having to drill MORE holes in the pickup bed for attachment of the drum bracket on the right hand side.

And this may result in a better tail-light system - or at least one more "view-able" by those that insist on following close as modern drivers are wont to do.

But do as you wish. Should you find Snyder's lights to be differentiated Left/right and without license bracket/windows as I have speculated - maybe best to let everyone know?

Thanks,
Joe K
Old 06-30-2014, 10:47 AM   #3
DougVieyra

I too went looking for just such a bracket, for my '28 Phaeton. What I found was, that while they were available awhile back, they are no longer being made. The recommendation by the vendors I spoke with suggested that I buy the standard backing plate (license plate holder) and just cut-off and trim/dress-up the remainder of the backing plate.
Alternatively, you could leave the bracket as is, and mount a secondary plate - year of manufacture plate, year of car, MAFCA member plate, etc.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 01:18 PM   #4
Ron in Quincy

You might try contacting someone in Australia, or any country using right hand drive A's. I believe their taillight would have been mounted to the passenger side ? Of course the tuna can would have the window for lighting the license plate.

Ron
Ron in Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 04:41 PM   #5
Jim/GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in Quincy View Post
You might try contacting someone in Australia, or any country using right hand drive A's. I believe their taillight would have been mounted to the passenger side ? Of course the tuna can would have the window for lighting the license plate.

Ron
The "tuna can" is available as a very nice reproduction from A&L without the cutout for the license light, to be used on the right side.

I have not found a right hand side back plate without arms to mount a license plate.

Last edited by Jim/TX/GA; 07-01-2014 at 05:30 PM.
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 05:21 PM   #6
Joe K

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Confirmation of Jim/Tx/Ga is found at http://www.mikes-afordable.com/category/1052.html

And as he says, unless you get out the thin grindng wheel and cut it off (like Ford might have done), one is required to have license plate attachment ears on BOTH sides.

Curiously Snyder's lists TWO different brackets (to mount the drum tail-light to the pickup bed) One early style one late style.

Early style - advertised by others as "for either right or left side."

Late Style - obviously for left side only.

I confess I had never seen a "late style" drum tail-light such as this. I do remember some board discussion regarding "early-early" drum tail-light attachment brackets which were similar but not this.

Joe K