Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-30-2017, 02:00 PM   #1
slug

Default 1932 steering colun drop

I want to remove the lock/cylinder from my 1932 car column drop. I see a very small pin which looks to be holding the cylinder in the drop. Do I just drill this out? What to watch for etc? Thanks, John
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 02:18 PM   #2
JimG

Default Re: 1932 steering colun drop

My car has a screw at the bottom of the lock that holds it in. Take the screw out and you can slide the lock out using the key. See picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20160902_07_26_51_Rich - red.jpg (44.7 KB, 79 views)
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 03:23 PM   #3
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

Stock it will have a brass pin that you need to drill ,fit a spacer over the drill to gauge depth so you don't drill to far into the barrel Ted

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 03:44 PM   #4
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG View Post
My car has a screw at the bottom of the lock that holds it in. Take the screw out and you can slide the lock out using the key. See picture.
Jim,

Your lock is not a '32 but the idea is the same. Attached is the picture of the lock in my '32. I also have a screw holding the lock in but it is not a good idea as someone with a screwdriver can steal the car.

Charlie Stephens
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6601.jpg (29.5 KB, 77 views)
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 03:48 PM   #5
DavidG

JimG,

Yours has been modified as it was originally retained by a steel pin, not a screw.

Ted,

For what it is worth, all of the U.S. locks I have taken apart all had steel pins. Your advice about limiting the depth of the drill is very, very good advice.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 04:17 PM   #6
slug

So DavidG how far do I know to drill? This is an original that has never been tampered with to this point. Once I drill this pin then I can withdraw the lock with the key? Thanks for the help. John
Old 10-30-2017, 04:50 PM   #7
DavidG

Your best bet is to measure the thickness of the casting between where the pin inserts to the edge of the lock cylinder as casting dimensional variations no doubt exist. Even if you do it perfectly, it may not come out using only the key to pull on. You may have to give it a little help from the rear with a soft (aluminum or brass) rod and a few light taps with a small hammer.

In order to gain access to do that you will need to remove the ignition switch housing and the pin on the back that actuates the ignition switch and then remove the operating shaft and the on/off lever inside. In order to remove the on/off lever, you will need to remove the 'on and off' plate on the front. Fortunately it is a '32 and that plate is attached with two brass nails (yes, they're round-headed nails) which can be carefully raised and removed using a thin-bladed screw driver and lots of patience.
Old 10-30-2017, 05:50 PM   #8
Mart

If the pin is the same as the one on my 41 pickup, it's about 5/16 long. I drilled in just far enough to let a self tapping screw get a good bite, and used a claw hammer to gently pull it out.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 06:40 PM   #9
DavidG

Perhaps he wants to reuse his lock. On a '32 the pin is much shorter and much smaller in diameter than later years.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:13 PM   #10
slug

Yes I want to reuse this lock so I don't want to damage anything. John
Old 10-30-2017, 11:24 PM   #11
JM 35 Sedan

The way I remove the small pin that holds the lock cylinder in the column drop, is to drill a hole into the exact center of the pin using a #43 drill bit, and drill to a depth not exceeding the pin length, then tap 4-40 threads into the pin. Make a pin puller using a short length of steel tubing with an ID larger than the pin OD, a 4-40 thread screw ~ 1" long, a hex nut with 4-40 threads, and a flat washer with OD larger than the steel tubing OD, and an ID that is slightly larger than the the diameter of the 4-40 screw. Run the hex nut down on the screw, place the washer on the screw down to the hex nut. Place the steel tubing on the screw, and thread the 4-40 screw into the threaded hole in the pin. With that assembly in place over the pin, tighten the hex nut down on the screw against the washer and pull the pin completely out of the drop casting, then remove the lock cylinder from the drop. Clear as mud?? ☺ Good luck!

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 10-30-2017 at 11:30 PM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 04:26 AM   #12
DavidG

John,

With respect, that's a creative way to remove the pin, but likely limited to lock cylinder pins after the '34s when the pin diameter was increased to 9/32". The '32-'34 lock cylinder pins are only 1/8" in diameter which pretty much rules out drilling a small hole in the center of the pin, especially given how deeply recessed the pins are in the casting.
Old 10-31-2017, 06:02 AM   #13
big job

Thanks to Murphys law, I drilled and started to tap it (for a slide hammer) Oh yea
tap broke in there no way thats comming out. What I had to do is drill a series
of holes around the tap so it falls out. Although looks like a mess, I then used a
endmill on drill, so now I have a round (bigger hole) then turned a pin Od. size of hole and
Id. same as old pin that goes in lock cylinder. I prefer Aluminum or brass for a pin
for the next time. The modern crook has no clue how these work even if the crook
pops the cylinder. (unless the crook owns one)
big job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 07:00 AM   #14
DavidG

The original steel pins are hardened, at least the '32-'34 version which poses an additional challenge.
Old 10-31-2017, 08:48 AM   #15
slug

Oh great. A HARDENED pin. That makes it just about impossible to do without messing up the drop. Why do things always have to be so difficult! John
Old 10-31-2017, 10:06 AM   #16
DavidG

From a design point of view, a hardened pin makes sense. Take heart, because it is deeply recessed and if you pick the right drill bit that is a snug fit in the hole, you still will be able to drill it out (not with an inexpensive drill bit, however). Also, it is best done with a drill press with the column clamped in drill press vise to ensure that the drill bit is straight relative to the hole and to prevent it from wandering.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:27 AM   #17
32phil

I have drilled quite a few Ford column drops over the years ( No Surprise there ! I'm the key guy after all !!!...)
I use a good quality drill bit Exactly the same size as the 32 pin. I drill very slowly and check the depth often. The pins don't appear to be very hard and drill easily. They are made of a white metal. As I drill I check often to make sure I don't drill into the brass lock cylinder. Look for brass chips when you check.... that tells you the pin is gone and you are into the brass. Sometimes you can see the cylinder as the pin has been drilled completely away. Use extreme caution when trying to remove the cylinder. They are made of soft brass and will damage very easily. PB Blaster is your friend here.
Call me if you have any questions ...Phil 845 551 5132
Old 10-31-2017, 01:49 PM   #18
slug

Thanks to all. Your quick responses are most appreciated. John
Old 10-31-2017, 06:07 PM   #19
slug

With all of your advice and some time working slowly I have accomplished it all. Once all was done I tapped the old pin hole for a 10/32 set screw and all is good again in my world. The Barn is an amazing place. Thanks, John