Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-19-2016, 04:57 PM   #1
sphanna

Default Universal Joint inner housing cap missing

I have just spent 2 days removing and installing a new synchro mesh transmission. Now while finishing up and installing the two piece universal housing, I noticed that two gaskets were supplied. Having not a lot of experience as a mechanic, I finally discover that the inner universal joint housing was missing. So now I have to start all over again separating the rear axel and driveshaft to replace the missing part. Bummer!!!

How i have driven 11,500 miles since purchase and who knows how many miles before I purchased the car with no issues is something that I do not understand. The car had been driven for years without the inner housing.

I phoned a good vender and he tried to explain to me what the second gasket went on and it did not make any sense to me. That is because I was missing the part. Pondered over this until looking at a blow-up diagram revealed the missing part.
Old 10-19-2016, 05:10 PM   #2
Chuck Sea/Tac

Default Re: Universal Joint inner housing cap missing

Just makes ya wonder if all that grease around the u joint even does anything?
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 05:14 PM   #3
sphanna

Chuck I have kept my u-joint full of grease and it was packed full when I removed it. Just no inner cup.
Old 10-19-2016, 05:36 PM   #4
SeaSlugs

Im not entirely sure what the inner cup is supposed to do, i guess keep the grease as close of contact to the u joint as possible???
Old 10-19-2016, 05:53 PM   #5
richsfords

I know the feeling, I got my 31 slant window and wondered what the vibration was, not till it got worse did I have it looked at. and the same part was missing. Complete inner cap. Maybe the same person worked on both cars, PLUS three pistons were in reversed, some times these shade tree folks should stay in the basements with Mom.
got it fixed before it was too dangerous......it keeps the U joint and all that stuff lined up and straight in line with grease.
Old 10-19-2016, 06:18 PM   #6
quickchange

Just had a USA cpe apart doing RHD conversion , same cap missing , D/shaft can hit the universal retaining bolt if cap is missing , can make a tingling noise , Also recently I recently rebuilt trans on customers 4dr while he (a bean counter) overhauled the clutch , when all reinstalled engine locked up ???Pulled all apart again & found it had torque tube bolt holding flywheel to crank which are too long ?? He did ask does flywheel bolts have washers under the heads , I replied hell no ,so he left them out , Last clutch job was 40 years ago ,Now fitted with correct bolts, & owner only doing tax returns ??2 days extra work for me but he was saving $60 hr on what he charges , Think he is still working that one out ,
quickchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 06:45 PM   #7
Bob C

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSlugs View Post
Im not entirely sure what the inner cup is supposed to do, i guess keep the grease as close of contact to the u joint as possible???
Doesn't it keep the rear axle from moving forward on acceleration?

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 07:08 PM   #8
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post

Bob
Absolutely, that inner cap takes the forward thrust to move the car, as well as keeping the end of the torque tube well centered as it moves when the rear end bounces over rough roads.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 07:16 PM   #9
tbirdtbird
BANNED

"Also recently I recently rebuilt trans on customers 4dr while he (a bean counter) overhauled the clutch"

we don't allow bean counters anywhere near the shop. There has never been a time that a bean counter didn't ruin everything
Old 10-19-2016, 08:39 PM   #10
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post

Bob
didnt even think about that...thanks!
Old 10-19-2016, 09:27 PM   #11
ian Simpson

My favourite boss was a bean counter. You should see the beautiful resto-mods he has performed. Last I talked to him he was in the middle of a frame-off resto on a Triumph TR6.

Maybe he was special as he was a forensic accountant.
ian Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 10:27 PM   #12
sphanna

Guys, I really appreciate all the comments. It helps me understand better just what it does. One of our local experts mentioned what Bob C and Tom W mentioned about this is what receives the force to move the car. I am glad I posted and am learning a lot. I was ignorant of it's purpose and the consequence of not having it. Thank you for the comments.
Old 10-19-2016, 10:46 PM   #13
RUNNERBUN

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdtbird View Post
"

we don't allow bean counters anywhere near the shop. There has never been a time that a bean counter didn't ruin everything

OK fellows, stop beating up on Bean Counters I was a bean counter for the first twenty-five years of my working life. I have restored three cars from the ground up. I have always done my own work even to the extent of pouring my own Babbitt on the main bearings and line boring. All with equipment that I built myself. A local professional workshop predicted that I may be lucky to get 1000km before they failed. That engine is still in the car and now has done upwards of 120,000km since. I have done two journeys of nearly 12,500km and one recently completed of 14,000. In my public profile page you will see a summary of my major journeys.
I don't want to appear that i'm pounding my own chest, I'm just very proud of my achievements.
Have I ever made a mistake? Yes, many. But I view every mistake as a oportunity to learn something new.

Last edited by RUNNERBUN; 10-20-2016 at 04:01 AM.
RUNNERBUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 02:58 AM   #14
john charlton

Thinking about it the rear axle will move forward when the rear axle pushes the car ahead . The rear axle has poor ahead and astern rigidity when the inner cap is missing ,the spring shackle design allows this . So I guess on load the axle shaft moves ahead and is checked when it touches the U/J retaining bolt or runs out of spline and the U/J comes under load also the pinion bearing . The rear transmission bearing is a ball bearing and not designed to accept lateral loads although the pinion bearing will . Bit of a nightmare scenario ,surprising as these cars ran thousands of miles in this condition !!!

John in heavy rain showers Suffolk County England .

Last edited by john charlton; 10-20-2016 at 03:14 AM.
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 10:57 AM   #15
sphanna

Yes, John, you have helped me to understand as did others. My U joint showed NO wear and my new transmission of course has a new bearing. I am very fortunate to have discovered this problem before I finished installation. Seems like things usually work out for the best.